What to do? (Very.co.uk)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I need some advice...

I ordered a tumble dryer on very last month from an online retailer. This was listed for £199, and if I signed up for a finance account, and chose the "take 3" option (pay in 3 equal parts, no interest), there was 10% off advertised. Begrudgingly, I signed up for the account (I would rather pay in full to avoid issues like these!) During checkout, the correct amount of £186.05 was displayed.

After checkout, I received an invoice for £205.95; which didn't really fit in. I called customer service (recorded phone call) and was told that this was a mistake in the system and that the correct amount would be set on my account within 2-3 days. This didn't happen.

I have since exchanged over 10 emails with customer support; each time being told that the amount will be corrected in the next few days or in the next statement. This never happens.

I am now at the end of the line, especially as I have a payment due (for the incorrect amount) soon. I have calculated what a third of the £186.05 is and paid that.

Customer services keep telling me to wait. The other day I filled out a complaint form - I have just received an email stating that as the item I bought was on sale, it wasn't part of the 10% offer (even though this was displayed on checkout, the offer was displayed on the item page, customer services confirmed the offer on the phone (recorded) and via email).

Any suggestions on next steps? I was tempted to go the small claims court route, but I've been told I may have more luck with the FSA or FOS...

Any ideas? I'm keen not to have it affect my credit rating because "I didn't pay back the right amount".

M.

Last edited:
Is it worth all the hassle for £20? I'd just take it on the chin and never buy from them again, lifes too short, the amount of time you will waste trying to sort this will come to far more than £20. I also hate things like this but sometimes its easier to accept they screwed up and do nothing about it when the value is so low.

Just don't use them again ans take it on the chin.T.

I did think that... but it's not about the money at this stage, it's about the principle. It would cost me more to go through a small claims court than the £20... but it's frustrating that a seemingly respectable retailer is essentially cheating people.

(not to mention that at my day rate, I've already "spent" many times the £20 over in time wasted writing emails)

Last edited:
Just pay it in full and cancel the account. Your first thoughts on not being sucked into these things was right.

As above, life is too short. I bet the tumble drier is still worth what you've paid.

Then forget about it and have a good Christmas :thumb:

I did think that... but it's not about the money at this stage, it's about the principle. It would cost me more to go through a small claims court than the £20... but it's frustrating that a seemingly respectable retailer is essentially cheating people.

FWIW we too have had a spat with Very, JSWMBO ordered a dress that never came despite numerous calls and emails to customer service and excuse after excuse we were getting nowhere so over to my in house legal advisor (SWMBO) As the item was paid on credit card a swift chargeback ensured her money was returned. We will never use them again and if you Google them the web is littered with complaints :thumb:

I would be as pi$$ed off as you, but principles sometimes get in the way of common sense.

I would send them a message that you are disappointed with their response, that you will never use them again, that you will let friends and family know, and that you will publish your experience on social media and feedback sites.

You will then have the satisfaction of knowing that it will cost them more than the £20 in the long run.

Only rich people can afford principles? :dk:

Or put slightly differently
"There are two types of people allowed principles in this world - rich men and fools. And I can see you're not a rich man"

No disrespect intended.

the thing is, why the hell should he pay for something he didnt agree to?

they, assumingly have basically admitted its their fault in previous emails.

I'd continue the good fight. whether its £10, £20, £200 it doesnt matter - why the hell should they charge more than originally quoted, especially if its not even any of the possible amounts it could/should of been

Get the CEO of the company's email and send him a polite "please get this shambles sorted" type email. Usually works well. Emails can be found on the internet as always. Keep it short and to the point, he is probably a busy man and will easily forward on a short email, but may just delete a complicated saga written before him

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom