Wheel bolts, jacking points on a GLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kcsun

Car
SL63 AMG, GLE 350de, RS4
I cannot believe I am asking these questions!!
Went to take off my wheels to clean the insides of them, found the anti theft adapter which took a standard socket, went to the first wheel and tried to prise off the fancy chrome caps and then realised they were part of the actual wheel bolt and are E sockets, I only have up to an E20 which is too small - any one know the correct size for me to order one from Amazon or wherever.
Then happened to notice the jacking points!! front and rear are both different and appear to plastic!! do I jack on the lower plastic lips or make a stud to go in the middle
How can it be so difficult to take the wheel bolts off and jack a car up!!!!

kc

I think that you'll find the wheel bolts are actually what are known as "Flower Bolts", not E Bolts so require the correct socket such as this one: -

Flower Bolt.jpg

Mine are 17mm (both on my current C217 and my previous W213. A standard socket "should fit" though I'd not recommend using it as it could potentially strip the heads on the bolts. I have used one in the past incidentally with no issues but feel I was lucky more than skilful. At least a standard socket will let you know what sized flower socket you need as it'll be a snug fit if correct.

Oh joy another con by Mercedes
I can't see Kwik fit and the like having a special socket 😁

kc

I take it you have had a good dig around in the car looking for the 'socket' ? These would have been fitted when new at the dealership . Most of the time the mechanic will just put the 4 removed bolts and the 'socket' in the plastic box the locking wheel bolts were in and chuck it in the boot somewhere. Or hide it in a 'cubby' hole somewhere.

Oh joy another con by Mercedes
I can't see Kwik fit and the like having a special socket 😁

kc
Why is it a con?
I think there’s a good chance Kwik-Fit have the capability, removing wheels is a part of their business.

I take it you have had a good dig around in the car looking for the 'socket' ? These would have been fitted when new at the dealership . Most of the time the mechanic will just put the 4 removed bolts and the 'socket' in the plastic box the locking wheel bolts were in and chuck it in the boot somewhere. Or hide it in a 'cubby' hole somewhere.
I have the little plastic box with the 4 removed original bolts and the security adapter. All the standard non-security bolts on the car are "flower" bolts so requiring a "flower" socket that seems to only be for Mercedes
kc

Why is it a con?
I think there’s a good chance Kwik-Fit have the capability, removing wheels is a part of their business.
Because Mercedes are trying to deter "home mechanics" and to drive more business to their dealerships

I have now purchased the said "flower" socket from our friends at Amazon and will keep it in the car "just in case"

It would seem that all tyre fitting bays will need to purchase one of these sockets to be able to take the wheels off a Mercedes. Does that mean all manufacturers will soon have individual wheel bolts or will less scrupulous establishments just bodge with a normal socket or Torx socket and round them all off
Incidentally how many places actually use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts correctly rather than a zillion Nm power tool these days
kc

Some people recommend top quality SPLINE DRIVE SOCKETS as the closest you can get to a UNIVERSAL FIT socket. for damaged and undamaged bolt heads.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It would seem that all tyre fitting bays will need to purchase one of these sockets to be able to take the wheels off a Mercedes. Does that mean all manufacturers will soon have individual wheel bolts or will less scrupulous establishments just bodge with a normal socket or Torx socket and round them all off.......?
The kits are available for all to purchase . If you owned a garaged you could buy them all but what often happens is (for example) a garage that works mainly on one marque will buy the kit for just that. They will also buy a 'ripper' kit that simply butchers the stuck/keyless bolt out of the hub when necessary.

For me it's a bit of a moot point locking wheel bolts are often more trouble than they are worth.

Whilst at the main dealer today I asked about sockets for the “flower” wheel bolts.

The main dealer uses Snapon “flower” sockets but suggested that the right size standard socket can be used in the absence of the right socket if necessary.

They said sockets readily available on Amazon and eBay are up to the job for occasional home use, and a few of the techs have them at home.

Most garages we know use 17mm sockets.

This deforms them and then prevents the proper socket from fitting, making removal a pain, as the bolt then gets stuck in the socket the whole time!

Can we agree that locking wheel bolts are pretty much a waste of time ? More effort than they are worth , at least in the UK

Let's face it , it's easier to steal a 'keyless' Mercedes Benz whole than it is to jack up all 4 corners of the car , remove 20 bolts and lug 4 heavy wheels into the back of a waiting van . Gone in 60 seconds (quietly) or 20 minutes with noise .

Even if it's just the wheels and tyres you want.

When was the last time you saw a few blokes taking all 4 wheels off a car in the street without you thinking , ' mmm that looks a but dodgy ' ?

Last edited:
Can we agree that locking wheel bolts are pretty much a waste of time ? More effort than they are worth , at least in the UK

Let's face it , it's easier to steal a 'keyless' Mercedes Benz whole than it is to jack up all 4 corners of the car , remove 20 bolts and lug 4 heavy wheels into the back of a waiting van . Gone in 60 seconds (quietly) or 20 minutes with noise .

Even if it's just the wheels and tyres you want.

When was the last time you saw a few blokes taking all 4 wheels off a car in the street without you thinking , ' mmm that looks a but dodgy ' ?
If I’m understanding correctly, then this thread is not about locking wheel bolts, it’s about bolts with a flower shape head (like the Michelin Guide logo), rather than a traditional hexagonal head.

Quite....they offer no security at all as they are all the same flower bolt on every car....one socket fits all.

I don’t know for sure but I suspect that the flower bolts are intended for higher-torque setting applications. Like Torx, the shape allows a greater torque to applied whilst reducing the risk of stripping the head of the bolt, which should in theory extend the useful life of the bolt and socket.

I have them on some of my cars and I quite like them, however I would imagine that a standard socket on an air/impact gun would probably damage them and cause problems with using the correct flower shaped socket in future.

Flower bolts may well be able to accept more torque but they are still a solution for a problem that didn't exist. There was nothing wrong with the standard bolts which survived unscathed even when torqued double by a rattle gun.

Flower bolts are Just MB making things more difficult for DIYers in my opinion. It was ever thus for all manufacturers. I can recall the new emission version of Stromberg carbs being made more difficult to adjust without a special tool back in 1972.

Flower bolts may well be able to accept more torque but they are still a solution for a problem that didn't exist. There was nothing wrong with the standard bolts which survived unscathed even when torqued double by a rattle gun.

Flower bolts are Just MB making things more difficult for DIYers in my opinion. It was ever thus for all manufacturers. I can recall the new emission version of Stromberg carbs being made more difficult to adjust without a special tool back in 1972.
Maybe. But if that was the case, then wouldn’t they have just put them on all cars? They’re not common, and typically used for cars with very large wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom