Which Engine Oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Absolutely , in fact that spec has a few higher oil performance perameters of anti wear and lower ash than 229.52 .
That would certainly make the oil changes much easier to manage...just the one oil for all. Have to give that a try. I have in "Stock" at the moment 10 ltrs of Castrol and 8 ltrs of Total Quartz,,,,,One Superb done 1 month ago, 2nd Superb now due 60'000 Klms Oil change and Filter . MB not due for 6000 Klms ( was done in Dec, 365 day limit, or 10'000 Klms ) But will go for it as changes become due.

Given this thread is a sticky I thought it useful to post here. After deliberating which oil to purchase for my upcoming service my decision has been made. Halfords are currently selling Castrol Edge 0w-40 FST for 50% off (45 to £22.50 for 4L & 19.50 to £9.50 for 1L) they wont deliver it so you need to find appropriate stock near you. This oil is MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5.

Note that Halfords product title and descriptions for these are somewhat inaccurate. The 4L is advertised as "Castrol Edge Titanium Sport" whilst the 1L is "Castrol Edge Sport 0W40". In fact these would appear incorrect - the product I believe is "Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4" and for which the image is accurate and that product is also listed on the MB site here . Also note that the 1L description does not state it is MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5 (but it is (or at least those 2 that I bought are))

I took the risk and bought 2x4L and 2x1L and they are indeed the same product and have MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5.
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html
I hope that is not confusing! The 2 links are here for the 4L and here for the 1L

That works out at £65 for 10 litres. My dealer quoted £160 for 10L of Castrol 5w40.

You will likely find cheaper deals for MB-Approval 229.5 oil and dependant on whether you want 0w-40 or 5w-40 but for this seemed a v.good price.

Ive just ordered another 20 litres of oil from mb. £60 and free delivery.

For members wishing to purchase other oil for their engines do try ECP first for a price ,
Selling now Castrol Magnatec semi synthetic oil at £19.99 for 4 Lt

There may be a reason AMG specify Mobil 1 oils for their engines??
Mercedes-AMG recommended oil| Mobil™ Motor Oils
and something for the oil geeks. ;)

Who really made the first synthetic oil?

Who blends Mercedes-Benz AMG 0W-40?

Thanks ;)

These oil companies never fully explain things and still can be secretive about exactly what oil basestocks are used .

fig_4_synthetic_vs_mineral_oil.jpg

Understanding the Differences in Base Oil Groups

For members wishing to purchase other oil for their engines do try ECP first for a price ,
Selling now Castrol Magnatec semi synthetic oil at £19.99 for 4 Lt

Do people still use semi synth ?

No i had the option at the time 6 years ago when i did the first oil change .First owner used Castrol GTX personally i dont like it . So i chose Castrol semi synthetic the reason i did this was that this grade of oil was recommended to me by Castrol for the M103 engine . And the fully synthetic would find its way out every nook and cranny it could find . And i have no problem with the Magnatec semi synthetic oil as of yet .

No i had the option at the time 6 years ago when i did the first oil change .First owner used Castrol GTX personally i dont like it . So i chose Castrol semi synthetic the reason i did this was that this grade of oil was recommended to me by Castrol for the M103 engine . And the fully synthetic would find its way out every nook and cranny it could find . And i have no problem with the Magnatec semi synthetic oil as of yet .

So 5w 30 semi wont leak yet 5w 30 fully synth will. Amazing ... !!!

I wouldn't worry about solubility , in any oil as most fully synthetic oils have group 3 oil basestock which is really a mineral.

Just think how much more there are in LongLife oils .

I wouldn't worry about solubility , in any oil as most fully synthetic oils have group 3 oil basestock which is really a mineral.

Just think how much more there are in LongLife oils .

And LongLife is good for 15'000 Klms between changes? Or do you stick with MB 365 day recommended change interval, regardless of mileage ( once it's under the 15'000 limit's?? )

I believe in the oil not the interval.

Normally 6 months with me after the baseline has been set and a LongLife oil higher than MB spec .

A car that's new to me gets serviced max 2 weeks after it's been received as serviced so it's had 3 oil changes in 4K and the oil is now incredibly clean two months on
( the baseline ).

I let the oils detergent and dispersant package gently clean the engine and certainly not a solvent based oil flush.

I believe in the oil not the interval.

Normally 6 months with me after the baseline has been set and a LongLife oil higher than MB spec .

A car that's new to me gets serviced max 2 weeks after it's been received as serviced so it's had 3 oil changes in 4K and the oil is now incredibly clean two months on
( the baseline ).

I let the oils detergent and dispersant package gently clean the engine and certainly not a solvent based oil flush.

For the Merc, I use Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w30 fully synthetic ,229.53 which i s of a higher spec than the MB 229.51. Despite the fact that the dealership assured me that it had been serviced, and the computer gave the next oil change at 330 day's, I changed the oil within 2 week's after getting the car. For the 4 Skoda's in the family "Fleet", 2 x Superb's and 2 x Ocatvia's, I use Castrol Edge Titanium 05w30 LL. ( I seem to remember you saying in an earlier post, Gazwould that the Castrol would be suitable for Mercedes- Benz too as it exceeded MB Spec's ) I have a Total oil change kit on standby, but for the next service after that one, I will try the Castrol...would definitely make the "stock" position easier to manage !!!
The last time I remember oil change's with your kind of frequencies Gazwould, was many years ago. New Morris Minor's ( yes, that far back :confused::confused::confused: ) Engine oil would be changed at 300 Miles, Oil drained, engine filled with detergent, run engine for awhile, detergent drained, and engine refilled with "proper " engine oil !!! Next change would be at 1'000 Miles, and there were maximum speed's for each gear during the "Running -in" time.:D:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom