Who uses ‘V-Power Diesel’....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How do you know that ? I can’t tell when mine does a regen.
when in regen or burn mode it idles at 900 rpm, holds the gears until over 2000rpm even on a light throttle normal changes are circa 1500rpm on a light throttle, you can also feel the heat from under the car and smell it out the exhaust smells a bit like hot oil.
That in itself never bothered me what used to drive me potty was the fact it did it when you came off the motorway so 100mile trip usually at 75-80 come of the slip road and 2 miles down the road its doing a clean, could never figure that one out, maybe its just the way this Gen works but the Subaru we have did the same and thats a 2019 and with a CVT its horrendous as the car wants to accelerate all the time and at 30 pogos down the road

Because it no longer has a DPF perhaps?
yep nor catalyst nor speed limiter actually either and come next week a nice stainless system too, often wondered if the V8 diesel would fit in one of these as well, the w211 version was a monster

I would hazard a guess that the majority of DPF removals (or gutting) are the result of the combination of an old Diesel car run on a tight budget and a hefty potential bill for faulty DPF replacement.

Don’t say that buddy , I’ve got a very good condition pre dpf car with only 112k on the clock . If I had the money I would order a new car but i don’t so I’ll keep the old girl going . She’s running very well on supermarket fuel and some added cetane :)

Haha, we'll I'm only half kidding, and certainly the owner of newer cars with DPFs that have been gutted are the ones that I have an actual moral objection with.

But the reality is that you only really see much soot out the exhaust when they're booting it/full throttle - and in my experience of going up and down the M4 every week, it's the lowered BMW/Merc/Audi diesel re-mappers with diesel soot covering their back ends, thrashing their (usually 4-pot 2.0L) cars on the motorway and driving like morons, who are the obvious DPF-sinners. It's not the Ford Focus owner who can't afford to fix their cars. You likely won't even notice any obvious soot from those folks unless something is wrong with their cars.

But I digress. Yes I do use V-Power Diesel.

when in regen or burn mode it idles at 900 rpm, holds the gears until over 2000rpm even on a light throttle normal changes are circa 1500rpm on a light throttle, you can also feel the heat from under the car and smell it out the exhaust smells a bit like hot oil.
That in itself never bothered me what used to drive me potty was the fact it did it when you came off the motorway so 100mile trip usually at 75-80 come of the slip road and 2 miles down the road its doing a clean, could never figure that one out, maybe its just the way this Gen works but the Subaru we have did the same and thats a 2019 and with a CVT its horrendous as the car wants to accelerate all the time and at 30 pogos down the road
Interesting, I have a B200 and a E250 and can never tell when they regen, they obviously do and I did monitor the E250 do one after a few miles into a short motorway journey.
I came to the conclusion that both cars do small regens all the time without anyone realising.

Interesting, I have a B200 and a E250 and can never tell when they regen, they obviously do and I did monitor the E250 do one after a few miles into a short motorway journey.
I came to the conclusion that both cars do small regens all the time without anyone realising.

It might be a question of technology? Newer cars being better at regeneration than early ones?

But the reality is that you only really see much soot out the exhaust when they're booting it/full throttle - and in my experience of going up and down the M4 every week, it's the lowered BMW/Merc/Audi diesel re-mappers with diesel soot covering their back ends, thrashing their (usually 4-pot 2.0L) cars on the motorway and driving like morons, who are the obvious DPF-sinners. It's not the Ford Focus owner who can't afford to fix their cars. You likely won't even notice any obvious soot from those folks unless something is wrong with their cars.
DPFs are more prone to clogging in town use. So guess where the particulates are emitted when the DPF is deleted.

I use Esso Supreme while on the Island as there are no Shell garages here. I normally fill up with V-Power in Portsmouth if/when journeying up North to work.
Just to add, I’ve never actually noticed my 350 going through it’s regeneration process.

I had a PDF-equipped Diesel car (not Merc) for 5 years. I never noticed a regen, including on a long journey to Paris and back. It never missed a beat, until it was written-off after someone crashed into it while it was parked outside.

Haha, we'll I'm only half kidding, and certainly the owner of newer cars with DPFs that have been gutted are the ones that I have an actual moral objection with.

But I digress. Yes I do use V-Power Diesel.
The soot particles you can see are less harmful to health than those you can’t see. Without a particulate filter, modern high pressure direct injection diesel and gasoline engines produce substantial amounts of sub PM10 particles. These don’t reflect light in the visible spectrum, hence why we can’t see them.

Tuning diesel engines to make more power, via increased boost, reduced EGR, more advanced injection timing (ie making the engine more efficient), results in an increase in engine-out NOx. Throwing more fuel in, gives more power, less NOx, but much more particulate.

Removing exhaust after treatment systems is socially irresponsible and illegal.

But I too digress, and use VPower Diesel occasionally.

I use Esso Supreme while on the Island as there are no Shell garages here. I normally fill up with V-Power in Portsmouth if/when journeying up North to work.
Just to add, I’ve never actually noticed my 350 going through it’s regeneration process.
My 350 makes a different noise altogether when regen happens and bloomin stinks.

My 350 makes a different noise altogether when regen happens and bloomin stinks.
yes it does it sounds much louder and deeper and emits a horrible burnt oil type smell almost like hot oil on an Engine

Signs of DPF regen on an E350:

1) E idles at ~800-850rpm rather than ~550-600rpm
2) Holds on to gear/changes gear later
3) Engine and car get really hot, especially from underneath
4) Exhaust sounds deeper/sportier and drones a bit (normally you can’t hear the exhaust)
5) Smells like burnt rubber from under the car if you get out or turn the car off during a regen

Most of these things are kind of hard to spot unless you’re really looking for them, especially if they happen on the motorway.

Signs of DPF regen on an E350:

1) E idles at ~800-850rpm rather than ~550-600rpm
2) Holds on to gear/changes gear later
3) Engine and car get really hot, especially from underneath
4) Exhaust sounds deeper/sportier and drones a bit (normally you can’t hear the exhaust)
5) Smells like burnt rubber from under the car if you get out or turn the car off during a regen

Most of these things are kind of hard to spot unless you’re really looking for them, especially if they happen on the motorway.
Exactly the same on Vito & C Class.

Always used standard diesel in my E350. However, following advice from these forums, tried V Power and noticed a difference in engine response. I then tried it in the wife’s Hyundai Santa Fe. I noticed a difference in that too, as did she. Psychological it may be, but if it beats as it sweeps as it cleans, its probably worth the difference. Having said that, I only put it in the Santa every 3rd or 4th fill as it’s not a high performance engine.

Always used standard diesel in my E350. However, following advice from these forums, tried V Power and noticed a difference in engine response. I then tried it in the wife’s Hyundai Santa Fe. I noticed a difference in that too, as did she. Psychological it may be, but if it beats as it sweeps as it cleans, its probably worth the difference. Having said that, I only put it in the Santa every 3rd or 4th fill as it’s not a high performance engine.
I filled my E250 with V power the other week, cost a fortune, always used Tesco basic diesel before that.
Honestly couldn’t tell the difference on mine so gone back to Tesco.

I put the expensive diesel in once in a while just for the cleaning agents.

I filled my E250 with V power the other week, cost a fortune, always used Tesco basic diesel before that.
Honestly couldn’t tell the difference on mine so gone back to Tesco.
Unfortunately the main benefit from using premium diesel is from better detergent additives which take time/mileage to clean up injector nozzle deposits. So it’s unlikely you’ll notice any instantaneous benefits.

In addition, if the Tesco main-grade diesel has detergents that are very effective in providing good keep-clean performance, which is likely but not a given in spite of what others might say, then there won’t be much in the way of injector nozzle deposits anyway.

All it takes is a couple of videos showing the inlet ports on an older diesel and it's enough to terrify me into using V-power diesel... AND throwing in some REDEX every now and again for good measure...

All it takes is a couple of videos showing the inlet ports on an older diesel and it's enough to terrify me into using V-power diesel... AND throwing in some REDEX every now and again for good measure...
Ive noticed Redex doesn't seem to be as smoky as it used to be - would that be anything to do with the catalytic converters? Ive used it for years and in my older cars i used to get a great trail of white smoke when i had dosed the carb (in pre-FI vehicles) or tank. I don't see that now. Shame, i used to like it. I once had to drive straight in and out of a petrol station once as the thick cloud that followed me onto the forecourt was just embarrassing! That was in my old Alfa Sprint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom