Wireless Networking OK, No Internet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It fills me full of horror when I read threads about people diving into the all the settings (especially when they're in a foreign language!). Experience has taught me that so many of these issues seem to fixed by just leaving it alone for a day or two!!

German isn't so bad as everything is in the same place but try doing it on a Japanese config or Hebrew and its all topsy turvy so even mimicking your actions on an English build throws up different menu's.

Thankfully if its running Pro rather than Home, you can switch between OS languages in Control Panel.

It fills me full of horror when I read threads about people diving into the all the settings (especially when they're in a foreign language!). Experience has taught me that so many of these issues seem to fixed by just leaving it alone for a day or two!!

You are right of course. What the poster should have done was to phone up his ISP help desk. :eek::eek: But rather than put him to the trouble of doing this I will take the liberty of "short circuiting " the process.

Primary response:- to be used by help desk personnel who know very little about computers-- the bonus ---- it won't do any harm.:doh:

Have you tried switching the computer off and switching it on again?

Secondary Response:- the bonus ----this will get the person making the enquiry off your back for several days or possibly for ever with a bit of luck :rolleyes:

You need to reformat your disc and reload the entire operating system

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

p.s. I doubt if you would better advice anywhere. we have some pretty knowledgeable network/ IT guys on here.:thumb:

Last edited:
phone up his ISP help desk

My internet is not the most stable in the world and frequently has outages, when I call the ISP they tell me to switch off the cable modem for a few seconds while they send some signals to it. then there's the pregnant pause for 30 seconds (sometimes they wait for a minute) and then ask me to switch it back on.

What frustrates me is that I've worked with normal bog standard modems to the point of programming them, I've even programmed telephone switches and exchange boxes.. and I KNOW that any machine that is not switched on will not receive any "signals"...

They should just 'fess up and explain that they want to reboot and reset the modem.

Tried reflashing the firmware on your router? Certainly made a big difference for me: went to being merley tedious as opposed to dreadful

So your wife selected the German lady? Bad luck.

Brunhilda.jpg

My wife was in charge of the selection process - needless to say you won't need a picture! :eek:

Ah ! Her name must be Brunhilde , then ?

I remember an old tip of the day type quote a programmer included into one of our database sytems " things that appear by themselves often go away by themselves "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom