1st commute in new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve333

MB Enthusiast
Car
Cls350cdi in palladium,C200k in tenorite,Slk320 in red.
Thought i'd do a comparison between my cls & it's replacement E350cdi on my daily run into London & back(dropping my mrs to work),same route every morning,5.45am start & exactly an hours roundtrip of 26 miles,mixture of 30mph single lane & 40mph carriageways-cls used to average between 20.8 & 22.2 so around 21.5mpg,picture below of this am's figures in the E-class!

Last edited:
Is that 42? Cant see the picture very well.
Sorry the pic isn't brilliant-it's 40.9mpg which i'm delighted with(would have been happy with low 30's).

Not wanting to dampen anyone's fireworks, but if the trip computer in your W212 is as accurate as the one in mine, when you do a brim-to-brim check you will find that it flatters the true consumption by between 9% and 13%.

Not wanting to dampen anyone's fireworks, but if the trip computer in your W212 is as accurate as the one in mine, when you do a brim-to-brim check you will find that it flatters the true consumption by between 9% and 13%.
Will do a brim to brim(filled up yesterday & reset trip computer so will check when re-filling).

st13phil said:

Still heaps better than the CLS and I bet the car is almost as fast and quiet.

Interesting how the CC of Mercedes diesel engines is creeping up in 6 pot form. Fashion, fad or engineering?

3.0 - 3.2 - 3.5

In five pot they seem to have stopped at 2.7.

trapperjohn said:
Interesting how the CC of Mercedes diesel engines is creeping up in 6 pot form. Fashion, fad or engineering?

3.0 - 3.2 - 3.5

In five pot they seem to have stopped at 2.7.

It was a 3.2I6 in corneds car, mine was a 320 but a 3.0V6. The 350 in Steves car is 3000cc too just badged up as it makes more power. They'd be best just to bade as engine Cc. Steves Cls500 was actually 5500cc. Mental isn't it.

Still heaps better than the CLS and I bet the car is almost as fast and quiet.
Under a second slower 0-62(.9 of a second to be exact),almost twice as good on fuel(albeit diesel alittle dearer) & very quiet(even when cold/at idle)-i'm one happy bunny....so far!

Glad you like it, the 350CDi is a lovely engine :)

Just hope MB hurry up with a new gearbox as they are being left behind.

It was a 3.2I6 in corneds car, mine was a 320 but a 3.0V6. The 350 in Steves car is 3000cc too just badged up as it makes more power. They'd be best just to bade as engine Cc. Steves Cls500 was actually 5500cc. Mental isn't it.
The badging is strange Steve,whilst in the states last year i saw an identical cls as mine but it was badged cls550(correctly!),i wonder why mb choose to do it differently for uk cars?

Glad you like it, the 350CDi is a lovely engine :)

Just hope MB hurry up with a new gearbox as they are being left behind.

His is a new 7g plus. Its not long out. Apparently its improved over the normal 7g (not hard as its vile and abhorrent) and in road tests the 7g plus box is not slated.

The badging is strange Steve,whilst in the states last year i saw an identical cls as mine but it was badged cls550(correctly!),i wonder why mb choose to do it differently for uk cars?

Americans are obessed with cubic inches, its the only way they relate the quality of an engine.

His is a new 7g plus. Its not long out. Apparently its improved over the normal 7g (not hard as its vile and abhorrent) and in road tests the 7g plus box is not slated.

Americans are obessed with cubic inches, its the only way they relate the quality of an engine.
Where did you read the road testing on 7g+ Steve?

Where did you read the road testing on 7g+ Steve?

Autocar CLS SB and Jag XF twin test, the MBs gearbox was deemed more than ok. The CLS SB road test said the box was ok, but too lethargic in E and a bit eagre in S, but on a standard run it'll be ok I think

Autocar CLS SB and Jag XF twin test, the MBs gearbox was deemed more than ok. The CLS SB road test said the box was ok, but too lethargic in E and a bit eagre in S, but on a standard run it'll be ok I think
Interesting,only had mine in economy so far(the gear changes are more noticeable than they we're in the cls),will be using paddles in manual in the morning so i can hold the gears in higher revs(as sugested on here as part of the running in).

Interesting,only had mine in economy so far(the gear changes are more noticeable than they we're in the cls),will be using paddles in manual in the morning so i can hold the gears in higher revs(as sugested on here as part of the running in).

It'll be a sound thing, the diesel will be noiser but I bet the E is faster and smoother? I drove an E500 coupe with the 7g box and it was awful, rough, snatchy and I couldn't wait to give it back

It'll be a sound thing, the diesel will be noiser but I bet the E is faster and smoother? I drove an E500 coupe with the 7g box and it was awful, rough, snatchy and I couldn't wait to give it back
Noticed the atf/filter change has moved from once only 37k or 4 years(7g) to 31k/3years & again at 77,500/5 years on my 7g+, you could be right about the sound,will see how it is in manual in the morning before moving on to sport mode......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom