1st commute in new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
steve333 said:
Thought i'd do a comparison between my cls & it's replacement E350cdi on my daily run into London & back(dropping my mrs to work),same route every morning,5.45am start & exactly an hours roundtrip of 26 miles,mixture of 30mph single lane & 40mph carriageways-cls used to average between 20.8 & 22.2 so around 21.5mpg,picture below of this am's figures in the E-class!

Wow! I barely get that out of my C350 on motorway run.

Wow! I barely get that out of my C350 on motorway run.
^ Are you talking onboard display reading or brim to brim calculations,what year is your c350cdi?

His is a new 7g plus. Its not long out. Apparently its improved over the normal 7g (not hard as its vile and abhorrent) and in road tests the 7g plus box is not slated.

7G+ is the best version of the MB box, but lagging badly behind the likes of ZF. Still dominated by the lazy TC.

My 3 liter turbo diesel easily returns 50mpg. E350CDi would struggle, and it is all about the gearbox, not the engine. Bring on 9G+ Mercedes :(

Depends if 7g+ is reliable. I read a few press reports sighting niggles with ZF 8g. 7g + if they've sorted that ghastly shifting pattern in 7g and the electroplate/speed sensor fault could be a really good thing.

I hope so as my CLS SB that I will buy, will have 7g plus fitted standard.

Depends if 7g+ is reliable. I read a few press reports sighting niggles with ZF 8g. 7g + if they've sorted that ghastly shifting pattern in 7g and the electroplate/speed sensor fault could be a really good thing.

The fact that the atf/filter changes are scheduled twice now & at a lower mileage for the first on 7g+ sugests that mb want to get it right at last.....

My heart was set on an E350CDi Coupe with 7G+, but it was the gearbox that broke the deal. After driving a ZF8 the 7G+ feels like a typical slush box, whereas the ZF8 feels like a soft DCT. Economy figures speak for themselves.

The fact that the atf/filter changes are scheduled twice now & at a lower mileage for the first on 7g+ sugests that mb want to get it right at last.....

Good point, I read the 1st change was at 80k miles and the new Aral ATF was the reason this could be done?

Whats the interval set at. Standard 7g was 37,500 miles (60k KM)

My heart was set on an E350CDi Coupe with 7G+, but it was the gearbox that broke the deal. After driving a ZF8 the 7G+ feels like a typical slush box, whereas the ZF8 feels like a soft DCT. Economy figures speak for themselves.

MB's typically have a TC that slips a lot, its designed to smooth moving off and give that waft that Mercedes drivers seem to crave. Even ZF6 feels more lively than MB 7g. I hated 7g, really, but I cannot escape 7g plus if I want the car of my dreams right now, which is that CLS SB. Alternatives will not even be considered...LOL!!!!

the ZF8 is the best box out there right now... but the ZF9 and 9G+ may change that...

Good point, I read the 1st change was at 80k miles and the new Aral ATF was the reason this could be done?

Whats the interval set at. Standard 7g was 37,500 miles (60k KM)

MB's typically have a TC that slips a lot, its designed to smooth moving off and give that waft that Mercedes drivers seem to crave. Even ZF6 feels more lively than MB 7g. I hated 7g, really, but I cannot escape 7g plus if I want the car of my dreams right now, which is that CLS SB. Alternatives will not even be considered...LOL!!!!
^ 31,000/2 years then again at 72,500/ 5 years!

steve333 said:
^ Are you talking onboard display reading or brim to brim calculations,what year is your c350cdi?

Onboard. It's a 2012 (or do you call current 2013??) with 4k miles on the clock. Best I've seen was 40.4 I think, on 100 mile or so motorway/A road drive. Computer usually says 35 mpg average (mainly out if town commute).

True, but other manufacturers get round that with the Sport/Comfort/Eco modes......and the 7G+ still auto changes in manual mode....WHY?

I wish MB would at least offer the C63 type clutch as an option for more sporty orientated drivers.

Onboard. It's a 2012 (or do you call current 2013??) with 4k miles on the clock. Best I've seen was 40.4 I think, on 100 mile or so motorway/A road drive. Computer usually says 35 mpg average (mainly out if town commute).
I'm being careful with mine for the 1st 1,000 miles or so,mpg will drop after that i suspect but still well pleased for a 3ltr v6!

True, but other manufacturers get round that with the Sport/Comfort/Eco modes......and the 7G+ still auto changes in manual mode....WHY?

I wish MB would at least offer the C63 type clutch as an option for more sporty orientated drivers.

My ZF BMW would up change in M mode if you hit the rev limiter. It would bounce off it a few times then change.

Its to protect the engine and the driver from getting stuck in a situation as it allows the car to keep accelerating on....

The MCT box is super, I liked that

I'm being careful with mine for the 1st 1,000 miles or so,mpg will drop after that i suspect but still well pleased for a 3ltr v6!

Yea it's a lovely engine and they are lovely cars.

My wife drives ours several days a week. ...Ashe must have a heavy right foot. ;)

Yea it's a lovely engine and they are lovely cars.

My wife drives ours several days a week. ...Ashe must have a heavy right foot. ;)
Always the womans fault;),what does the sport plus have over & above a sport?

Sport Plus gains nicer seat fabric, intelligent lights, larger wheels and red seatbelts (I wasn't sure about them at first but they have definitely grown on me). I think that's it. Downside is you can't spec leather (would need to option up a Sport) but I think it's more than fine without it.

I can see myself in an E next if finances allow it. Yours is a very nice looking car.

Sport Plus gains nicer seat fabric, intelligent lights, larger wheels and red seatbelts (I wasn't sure about them at first but they have definitely grown on me). I think that's it. Downside is you can't spec leather (would need to option up a Sport) but I think it's more than fine without it.

I can see myself in an E next if finances allow it. Yours is a very nice looking car.

You don't want leather...:thumb:

Was it a free upgrade or did mb charge £££'s extra?

Thought i'd do a comparison between my cls & it's replacement E350cdi on my daily run into London & back(dropping my mrs to work),same route every morning,5.45am start & exactly an hours roundtrip of 26 miles,mixture of 30mph single lane & 40mph carriageways-cls used to average between 20.8 & 22.2 so around 21.5mpg,picture below of this am's figures in the E-class!
Last couple of days been driving the car in manual mode(as others have said flappy paddles gear changes are a touch slow to react)once the engine has been at normal running temperature then holding the lower(1,2,3)gears at between 3-3500rpm & today had the car in sport mode for the first time(done 600 miles now but still not used kickdown)here is the mpg compared to the same journey/time in economy mode:-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom