1st service W202 C250

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marm

Car
1997 W202 C250
Ordering some bits to do a service on my "new" car. Not sure when the last one was done, but the oil looks fairly nasty.

1: Which oil? It's done 167000 miles. 10W40 or heavier? Haynes recommends 10W40 up to 15W50. Leaning towards shell HX5 15W40 - fairly cheap at Euro.

2: Will the oil drain OK with the car on ramps (front only) or does it need to be level.

3: 7 litres is a lot of oil... What if I buy a new gallon can and mix it with a couple of litres of whatever it is I have left in the shed? There's the best part of a gallon of fresh "texaco turbodiesel" oil in there, the label's missing on the can, and it could be ten years old... but seems a shame to waste it.

4: If I replace fuel filter (and pre filter) will I need to replace O-rings and if so where do I get them?

Thank y'all. :)

1. original spec. would have been a semi synthetic or full synthetic 10W40 or even a 5W40. I wouldn't consider anything thicker unless the oil pressure is too low or the engine is already a burner and even then not a 15W50.

2. It should be level but look at the sump plug and make sure it drains towards the outlet or forget the ramps and use vacuum extraction. It's so much easier.

3. While it may seem to be a sin and not the ideal thing to do mixing modern oils is not a problem. On the other hand you don't know what the viscosity of this old oil is so If you are going to mix it definitely don't add to anything thick like 15W50. If you are really worried about the big volume of oil and the engine isn't a burner only fill to half way between the dipstick marks. That will save at least a litre and will be just fine if you keep an eye on the level.

4. Don't know about diesel fuel filters but I would imagine generic NBR O rings from a kit would be OK with diesel fuel.

Last edited:
The fuel filters (from ECP, GSF or MB at least) come with new O rings.

1. original spec. would have been a semi synthetic or full synthetic 10W40 or even a 5W40. I wouldn't consider anything thicker unless the oil pressure is too low or the engine is already a burner and even then not a 15W50.

2. It should be level but look at the sump plug and make sure it drains towards the outlet or forget the ramps and use vacuum extraction. It's so much easier.

3. While it may seem to be a sin and not the ideal thing to do mixing modern oils is not a problem. On the other hand you don't know what the viscosity of this old oil is so If you are going to mix it definitely don't add to anything thick like 15W50. If you are really worried about the big volume of oil and the engine isn't a burner only fill to half way between the dipstick marks. That will save at least a litre and will be just fine if you keep an eye on the level.

4. Don't know about diesel fuel filters but I would imagine generic NBR O rings from a kit would be OK with diesel fuel.

Thanks for the advice! I'll go for 10W40 and use up the stuff in the shed. It'll only be a couple of litres so should be fine.

Those vacuum oil extractors look brilliant. Not seen them before. I have to work on the car on the street so would be good to avoid the mess that's inevitable when doing it the traditional way... I wonder whether the 6.5 litre one Sealey do would work OK (oil is a bit low at the moment so probably fine). Are they as good at getting the last bits of crap out of the bottom though?

Just had a look on eBay and seen there are sellers offering complete o-ring kits for my car. Probably worth getting one for what they cost.

The question is: genuine MB or "viton" seals?

MERCEDES DIESEL VITON FUEL ORING SEAL KIT E300D,E300TD,C250TD,124,210,202 O-RING | eBay

Mercedes W163 W202 W203 W210 W638 Sprinter CDI diesel fuel line o-rings kit/10pc | eBay

If you're looking for a vacuum extractor pump, price them up at chandlers as well; they often have them at competitive prices as many boat engines are drained that way.

You'll always find those who would never use them, and those who rate them highly. I was in the 'not for me' camp for a long time, but having researched it at length I bought one, although as I haven't used it yet, I can't offer an opinion as to its use☺

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom