2 year old C Class Coupe paint problem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Claim has been sent to Mercedes for mine as the car is no longer under warranty. I will know next week hopefully. I am worried now, I did a quick check and found another panel with the same issue so not just the bot lid. It is getting worse too so if Mercedes turn the claim down I will be looking at a massive expense to fix this.

I think we might need to get organised and perhaps get some information from another forums to strength our case as this is clearly a paint defect. I'll try to get some pics here so we can compare the issue between us too.
How did you get on with the problem. I have just found this peeling paintwork problem with my c250 60 reg vehicle, again its a red one. It's not been serviced with mb either so I am worried they won't help me.

Update

My car is in the body shop getting it's re-spray, though I dropped it off last Monday and still not heard anything regarding a quote for the bumpers and side skirts to be sprayed as well...

Initially the body shop were going to give me a VW Up or Polo for the duration of the re-spray, but with a few conversations, MBUK agreed to get the Dealership connected to the Body Shop to give me a 66 plate C220 cdi estate :)

Should I ask for a few pics of how they are getting on, as I seen a few here have received them?

I asked for pictures and was told that would take them/had taken them but I didn't receive any and I did ask a few times but I'm not too fussed anymore as it looks like a really good paintjob!

I was quoted £500 for all the plastic bits (bumpers, side skirts, mirror covers, spoiler and door handles) which seems good value.

Last edited:
How did you get on with the problem. I have just found this peeling paintwork problem with my c250 60 reg vehicle, again its a red one. It's not been serviced with mb either so I am worried they won't help me.

Mine is a 57 plate, never serviced with MB, they resprayed it without any problems at all. It's not the car that matters, it's the dealership you visit.

I asked for pictures and was told that would take them/had taken them but I didn't receive any and I did ask a few times but I'm not too fussed anymore as it looks like a really good paintjob!

I was quoted £500 for all the plastic bits (bumpers, side skirts, mirror covers, spoiler and door handles) which seems good value.

Did they quote you those prices up front? As they have had my car for a week and still not contacted me to discuss this quote, even after plenty of notification that I wanted a quote :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they quote you those prices up front? As they have had my car for a week and still not contacted me to discuss this quote, even after plenty of notification that I wanted a quote :(

Yep when they told me that the plastic parts won't be covered and I would have to pay for them, I asked how much and he said £500 straightaway, think he probably made it up on the spot on how much he could get away with haha

Glad to hear some of you are now making progress.
As an update I can confirm my paint is approaching a year and there is no sign of any more blistering.... Fingers crossed.

Hello Folks

Just joined this forum after spending all afternoon going through this whole thread lol. I have a C63 AMG performance pack edition 2012 in Opal fire red.

I was thinking about selling so had it up for sale. I had a buyer that came to view it today. In the sunlight he noticed what appeared to be blisters on the rear boot lid, which I had never noticed. I thought it was tree sap at first and on closer inspection its actually under the paint.

He decided not to buy it as a result, GUTTED isn't even the word as the sale was nearly final. Anyway had a look on here and having read the thread I feel a bit more relaxed now knowing that it sounds like a manufacturing issue and one they will have to fork out for.

Spoke to Mercedes Manchester, they said bring it into the body'shop any time weekday. They would take pics and send it to Germany for mercedes to look at and advise.

It's shocking that a £60k car could have such an issue. I'll take it on Wednesday as that's when I'm next off and will update you guys and let you know how I get on.

Hi Tejib!

Im a fellow C63 Fire Opal Red owner!
i just bumped into this whole paint misery by accident!
After checking my car witch is a 2013 63 reg my boot has 5-10 small bubbles.
I have a good magnifier and its defo the clear coat lifting.
I think i will go straight to Manchester MB with this as in Lake District where i live i think the closest MB service will not have a clue and seems to me that in Manchester they are FULLY AWARE of the issue!
Mine has full MB service history but i bought it 2 weeks ago from a BMW franchised dealer...hope that wont be a problem.
If im calculations are right yours was to out of its manufacturers warranty but as far as im aweare the paint has 8 years warranty.
How did your case resolve?
Have you had the car back yet?

It won't be a problem.

I bought mine from a small independent car dealership. It's a 57 plate and Mercedes Manchester never asked a single question about the car, it's service history (I service it) or anything. They simply gave me a brand new B Class courtesy car and some coffee and biscuits and I was on my way. I got the car back looking absolutely brand new, they even valeted the interior for me.

Our previous car (15 Plate):

Developed micro blistering. First noticed it on the boot lid back in October. By February, it was present on all panels except the front wings. Started a discussion with my dealer. The car was assessed and I was told immediately that it was a very common problem with this colour and that it would be sorted (by bare-metal respray) under warranty. However, I never received formal acceptance of the issue or any confirmed date when it would be resolved. I was told that a) some paint shops are booked out until mid-2018 with these cars and b) that the rectification process/method was being changed (presumably to reduce cost).

We were pretty uncomfortable about all of this and so decided to cut our losses and trade the car in against an approved used 2016 C250d AMG Line Premium Plus Estate. We got a reasonable offer on our coupe and the C250d is really nice and a better fit for our needs at the moment too.

Overall happy with where we are, but could've done without the stress of finding that the paint on our car was failing.

Booked in to Manchester for a paint inspection next Monday.
The lady on the phone which was a central number was fully aware of the issue.she even asked that does it look like blisters on the paint.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Here is the finished result on my c class...

iisjVsa.jpg

MB Norwich did an amazing job, though they where slow to get the ball rolling. For my troubles I got a 66 plate amg line c220 estate, which was nice. They agreed to spray everything bar the plastic body work, which I had added in for a mere £240 :)

It's a slow process and if you're politely forceful they will take action.

Last edited:
Here is the finished result on my c class...

iisjVsa.jpg

MB Norwich did an amazing job, though they where slow to get the ball rolling. For my troubles I got a 66 plate amg line c220 estate, which was nice. They agreed to spray everything bar the plastic body work, which I had added in for a mere £240 :)

It's a slow process and if you're politely forceful they will take action.
Is that Manchester Mercedes?
How long it took from inspection to getting your car back?

Never mind Norwich...I read North...my bad:)
But how long it took anyway?

Never mind Norwich...I read North...my bad:)
But how long it took anyway?

So I requested an inspection in Oct 16, had the inspection in Dec 16, then a lot of chasing and complaints about being lied too constantly about where it was in the process, then booked in at the start of Apr 17, collected mid May 17. so all in all around 7 months...

They took about 5 weeks to do the job, tried to give me a VW Up during this time, eventually gave me a new c class and the work was very good, though they gave me absolutely no advice on how to look after it once it had been re-sprayed...

I'm glad I got it done, but annoyed at how they went about doing it, very little ownership of own faults.

Manchester been helpful so far.
I rang them on Monday and going for the inspection this coming Monday...
We shall see after...

[QUOTE I'm glad I got it done, but annoyed at how they went about doing it, very little ownership of own faults.[/QUOTE]

Have you considered having your car Detailed? now would be the time as the Paintwork is in Pristine Condition :bannana:

Manchester been helpful so far.
I rang them on Monday and going for the inspection this coming Monday...
We shall see after...

My dealership explained in the end that they have to plan well as MB will only give them a limited amount of time to do the work once they authorise, therefore if they are busy in the body shop they will have to plan when to submit the claim so that they have the time and resources to do the job in the allotted time frame. Does that make sense?

Ask them what the body shops schedule is like over the next few months to gain an insight on when they might be able to put your claim in.

My dealership explained in the end that they have to plan well as MB will only give them a limited amount of time to do the work once they authorise, therefore if they are busy in the body shop they will have to plan when to submit the claim so that they have the time and resources to do the job in the allotted time frame. Does that make sense?

Ask them what the body shops schedule is like over the next few months to gain an insight on when they might be able to put your claim in.

When we were in the process of changing cars, with respect to our outgoing coupe I was told that once MB issue a TIPS number, the work has to commence within 17-days. So your comments above make total sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom