2 year old C Class Coupe paint problem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's considered a new part, like any, and so it comes with a full warranty again from date of respray. 3 years IIRC?

I wouldn't hesitate if it's getting a respray. No swirl marks, no scratches, new car paint on a used car sounds good to me.

That was my thought. It is having a bare metal respray. Should be in the paint shop for 2-3 weeks from what they say.

D

It's considered a new part, like any, and so it comes with a full warranty again from date of respray. 3 years IIRC?

I wouldn't hesitate if it's getting a respray. No swirl marks, no scratches, new car paint on a used car sounds good to me.

That's interesting, If you have a part replaced under warranty, it does not normally come with a new warranty, and is only warranted from the date of the original. Maybe its different with paintwork.

From what the dealer has explained to me, the car will come with a full MB warranty from the date of the respray. I would assume that to be the 3 years indicated.

D

Yep, same for me.

They weren't going to repaint the bumpers, sills and other plastic areas as they said it's not classed as bodywork.

I argued that it's the same issue that they've accepted as a flaw with the application/process which is affecting the bumpers, etc too. They agreed to repaint them too. They replaced the sills with new units too.

I did agree to pay a fee to have some dents removed, as that's obviously not their problem.

That's interesting, If you have a part replaced under warranty, it does not normally come with a new warranty, and is only warranted from the date of the original. Maybe its different with paintwork.

No? If you have a new alternator fitted, it comes with a warranty, like buying any new product does. If the original warranty had expired, are you suggesting the new alternator wouldn't come with a warranty at all? That if it failed a week later, it'd be tough luck?

Might it be the case that an exception is being made by MB in these instances, as it appears that it is a question of not if, but when and the resulting PR fallout?

D

No? If you have a new alternator fitted, it comes with a warranty, like buying any new product does. If the original warranty had expired, are you suggesting the new alternator wouldn't come with a warranty at all? That if it failed a week later, it'd be tough luck?

Yup, legally, that's exactly as it is. (in the UK) Not saying that it may be treated sympathetically. Most consumer sites will tell you the same. Here is one comment.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE GUARANTEE IS ONLY EFFECTIVE FROM THE DATE OF INITIAL PURCHASE – IF EXCHANGES ARE ISSUED THE WARRANTY WILL NOT RESTART FROM THE DATE OF RETURN/EXCHANGE, IT IS ONLY VALID FROM THE DATE OF THE INITIAL

Here is another.

Issuing a replacement is something that occurs under the original agreement. It does not mean that you receive a new warranty. Therefore, it is important to be aware that your original warranty will expire on the original purchase, rather than the clock being re-set on the warranty at the time when your item is ...

I take your point Delderek. I would be interested to hear from others who have had the remedial work carried out, as to what they have been told regarding warranty.

D

In the case of new paintwork, I'm sure it must come with some form of a new warranty.

In the case of new paintwork, I'm sure it must come with some form of a new warranty.

If I remember correctly, when my CLK was repaired due to rust issues when it was less than 5 years old, the paintwork was covered for 2 years. When the rust returned after only 18 months it was repaired again at the expense of the body shop who carried out the original work.

Russ

That's good to hear Russ. I have bought several cars from this dealership and would have confidence that they would stand over any potential issues in the future. I will almost certainly go ahead and place a deposit on the car. By all accounts, it won't be ready until early March, to allow time for the respray and prep.

D

As far as I recollect Delderek is correct if say an alternate is replaced FOC under a warranty the clock does not restart, alternatively if you purchase a new alternator then that warranty will be yours and apply from date of purchase.

I have been retired for a while now so have not kept up with any new legislation.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That would be my understanding as well Robin. As I say, the MB dealer would have a good reputation and I have it in writing from them that any future issues with the paintwork would be resolved. I guess my original question was if anyone had had a reoccurrence of the paint problem. I would be fussy about my cars and don't want the hassle of returning the vehicle for remedial work time and again.

D

That would be my understanding as well Robin. As I say, the MB dealer would have a good reputation and I have it in writing from them that any future issues with the paintwork would be resolved. I guess my original question was if anyone had had a reoccurrence of the paint problem. I would be fussy about my cars and don't want the hassle of returning the vehicle for remedial work time and again.

D

I totally understand how you feel and from the threads I have read even on older cars Mercedes have been stepping up.

That red is a beautiful colour though.

Robin

I totally understand how you feel and from the threads I have read even on older cars Mercedes have been stepping up.

That red is a beautiful colour though.

Robin

Well such a beautiful colour that I have placed the deposit today! Need to think what I am going to do with the CLK55 now.

D

Now now. Form an orderly queue.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom