advice needed on turbo conversion idea on W203 C180 2.0L

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdh-syorks

Car
2002 W203 C180 2.0, 1988 W201 190e 2.6, 1993 VW Polo G40
had a thought about doing a turbo conversion to my C180 which I have owned for the past 9 years. Since I was looking at p/x for a E320 cdi the value of my car isn't worth much via trade in. So I've decided to keep the old bus and still get a E class.
I have done conversions before on Volkswagens but never touched the Mercedes engine in that way.
The engine in mine is the M111 2litre.
Can anyone tell me which turbo would work, would a k03 be ok or a Garrett??
Has anyone on here successfully done this and finally could anyone give me a fully itemized list of what's needed..

I know people might just say what's the point, but I just want a bit of a project to keep myself occupied.

Cheers Tom

The M111 is a pretty strong engine block (particularly the 230 kompressor block). I am going to be turboing (is that the correct word?) my car which has a similar M111 engine to yours, albeit in a much earlier model.

It would be best to fit standalone engine management, however this isnt possible because of the stock ECU and wiring being tied into so many things. Hence I am looking at the following:

1. Mosselman manifold
2. Garrett T3 turbo (A/R 42) - the reason for this is for faster spooling times. The larger the turbo as you well know, the bigger the lag. It is the same as used in Ford Turbos.
3. Copper 'spacer' head gasket to reduce compression - I havent got this yet, but a company called Ferriday Engineering Ferriday Engineering make these for performance engines. If you have deeper pockets you could get dished pistons made up with custom con-rods.
4. 5th injector and driver (independently mappable to control fuelling levels)
5. MAP sensor
6. Intercooler and piping - I will be taking it off one of the kompressor models
7. Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
8. NGK spark plugs - iridium - one heat range cooler than standard
9. Various lengths of tubing/hoses for oil and coolant connections to the turbo along with connection pieces.
10. Gauges for boost and oil temp

I think I'll have more of an idea of what I need once I start.

Great help, I'll start looking for manifold first, my mate has a spare Garrett T3 off his cossy.
yeah I understand about the spool times etc, I didn't want anything too big, just enough to make it pull better than it is at the moment.
T3 should take it to near 200bhp shouldn't it?

Great help, I'll start looking for manifold first, my mate has a spare Garrett T3 off his cossy.
yeah I understand about the spool times etc, I didn't want anything too big, just enough to make it pull better than it is at the moment.
T3 should take it to near 200bhp shouldn't it?

Easily, but in terms of the manifold, the Mosselman one is quite rare and very expensive from Mosselman. You may need to consider fabricating your own or looking for companies that will make one for you.

Send a PM to Koolvin the forum owner , he turbo'd a C180 years back.

Niceone, I'll drop him a pm.
If the mosselman manifold is unavailable I'll fabricate my own no problem.
Cheers

I am going to be turboing (is that the correct word?)

Turbocharging.

Thinking of the right word is easy when you're reading, but not so when you're typing!! :D

Two turbo projects at the same time - sounds like fun.

Niceone, I'll drop him a pm.
If the mosselman manifold is unavailable I'll fabricate my own no problem.
Cheers

Intresting as i have also been looking at doing a similar conversion, please keep update.

Turbocharging.

Thinking of the right word is easy when you're reading, but not so when you're typing!! :D

Two turbo projects at the same time - sounds like fun.

Well still acquiring parts at the mo'. Have already got the Mosselman manifold, Garrett T3 turbo, HKS SSQV dump valve and front AMG brake calipers. Will need to get a hold of a 5th injector set up and then I'll need to talk to Ferriday about their copper head gasket spacer.

I think the adjustable fuel pressure regulator is not needed if you have the mappable injector set up.

Id rather try and get hold of a manifold rather than make one but if that's what it comes to then I'll have to. My mate said he's got a brand new Garrett t3 for me and I can have it for £300. Gonna pick it up at weekend :D

My manifold was off a fellow member who was thinking of twin charging his 230 kompressor but then decided to sell the car instead. The Mosselman manifold was £250. Then the T3 turbo was £60.

Gents I seem to remember turbo charged engines run a lower compression ratio to a normally aspirated. It would be worth checking

Gents I seem to remember turbo charged engines run a lower compression ratio to a normally aspirated. It would be worth checking

Yes I agree with you completely and for this reason there is one of 2 solutions:

1. Fit a copper head gasket 'spacer', the thickness will be worked out by Ferriday Engineering and their calculations
2. Fit dished pistons with stronger con-rods - more expensive but still a possibility.

At the moment it is the time for research and gathering knowledge. I have never done this, and although it is something I am seriously considering, it would be best to fit correctly first time that have to take it apart and refit which would cost more money.

I know that Koolvin fitted the MF2 injector controller with a subaru MAP sensor and 5th injector. On some forums the MF2 is considered a primitive set up, but there really isnt the possibility to add standalone engine management though this would be better in terms of fuelling.

So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions on using a reliable additional injector set up?

Now in a quandry on deciding to go on piggyback ECU + 5th injector or upgrade the existing injectors to 4 larger injectors and remap the stock ECU...... don't know yet whether the second one is possible...:dk:

Has anyone got a diagram or picture of a 230 kompressor engine? Mainly to have a look at how the pipework meets the intercooler.

Failing this, is there anyone in the North or North West with a kompressor either slk, clk or c class W202 or 203 which I can have a look at, just the engine bay. Thanks.

Now in a quandry on deciding to go on piggyback ECU + 5th injector or upgrade the existing injectors to 4 larger injectors and remap the stock ECU...... don't know yet whether the second one is possible...:dk:

I personally think the 2nd option should be possible and more easier to do.

Good luck with this i have also started collecting my plumbing and will start my thread soon.

I personally think the 2nd option should be possible and more easier to do.

Good luck with this i have also started collecting my plumbing and will start my thread soon.

I've been looking at remaps, I think it may well be easier adding additional injectors and a piggyback ECU to co-ordinate with the standard ECU, as I think remapping may well lead to further problems down the line. Using a piggyback ECU I think is the only way forward I can see so far.

I've been looking at remaps, I think it may well be easier adding additional injectors and a piggyback ECU to co-ordinate with the standard ECU, as I think remapping may well lead to further problems down the line. Using a piggyback ECU I think is the only way forward I can see so far.

What further problems do you forsee with the remap on the STD ECU and 2ndly which piggyback systems will work on the Merc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom