• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Another watch thread...............

I’m enjoying the more recent posts on this thread immensely because I’ve not heard of these watches and it’s great to look them up. They’re lovely timepieces and not expensive at all.

Given up waiting on the Rolex AD getting me the watch that i have been waiting on for almost two years , resigned myself to the fact that if i want the timepiece then it will need to be pre-owned , luckily the prices have "softened" a bit so not going to get shafted too much.

Those "flippers" who bought them around two years ago thinking they were a good investment that was only was only going to increase in value are having a "squeaky bum moment" now with the price drop , add that to a recession then they are starting to get a bit more sensible price wise.

K

Given up waiting on the Rolex AD getting me the watch that i have been waiting on for almost two years , resigned myself to the fact that if i want the timepiece then it will need to be pre-owned , luckily the prices have "softened" a bit so not going to get shafted too much.

Those "flippers" who bought them around two years ago thinking they were a good investment that was only was only going to increase in value are having a "squeaky bum moment" now with the price drop , add that to a recession then they are starting to get a bit more sensible price wise.

K
Likewise I'm hoping that a 'Kermit' or 'Hulk' will drop into my lap for sensible money.... I may be waiting for a while:confused:

.............., my only suggestion is to one that holds a single watch per winder as different watches weigh differently and can cause the winder to break.
A good winder should not have that problem. Personally I don’t find it an issue to set the date and time on a watch that I’ve not worn for a while. Apparently there was / is a misconception that (automatic) watches had to be kept working when not in use. I believe that it was because the old fasioned lubricants got sticky after a while.

I’m enjoying the more recent posts on this thread immensely because I’ve not heard of these watches and it’s great to look them up. They’re lovely timepieces and not expensive at all.
Have a look at the Bulova Lunar Pilot. I keep going back to it. For just over £400 you can get a watch that was worn on the moon! (Apollo 15). Well kind of. I love the stories behind some of these watches. The crystal popped off the Speedmaster issue watch so the Astronaut (Dave Scott) used his own Bulova. It would have been a mechanical movement then (an ETA), the new ones are quartz but look the same. His actual moon watch sold for over $1.6M

Have a look at the Bulova Lunar Pilot. I keep going back to it. For just over £400 you can get a watch that was worn on the moon! (Apollo 15). Well kind of. I love the stories behind some of these watches. The crystal popped off the Speedmaster issue watch so the Astronaut (Dave Scott) used his own Bulova. It would have been a mechanical movement then (an ETA), the new ones are quartz but look the same. His actual moon watch sold for over $1.6M
Just had a nose on eBay. Lovely watches but not sure on the strap.

A good winder should not have that problem. Personally I don’t find it an issue to set the date and time on a watch that I’ve not worn for a while. Apparently there was / is a misconception that (automatic) watches had to be kept working when not in use. I believe that it was because the old fasioned lubricants got sticky after a while.
When I was chatting to the chap who i use for watch services he mentioned that it’s best to avoid manually winding automatic watches by the crown and leave it to the rotor. I forget the name of the part but apparently manually winding can put undue strain on a couple of the gears.

Still haven't made a purchase.
As retirement approaches capital preservation seems more important than a watch purchase.
So, the budget has been reduced.
I'm now looking at the following:-
Tissot PRS516
Hamilton Khaki Field King.
Hamilton American Classic Intra-Matic.
Tag Heuer Carrera - 2nd hand.
Christopher Ward C65 Aquitaine Bronze COSC.
Christopher Ward C63 Sealander Bronze COSC.
Christopher Ward C63 Sealander Elite Titanium.

Favouring the Christopher Ward ones but happy to accept advice from the forum.
Have a look at the Bulova Lunar Pilot. Really interesting backstory and a nice looking watch.

Just had a nose on eBay. Lovely watches but not sure on the strap.
For sure id want to change the strap as well, not my cup of tea. I’d get something made up by George at Genteel Handmade. Have had a couple of custom straps from him and they are superb.

.... I may be waiting for a while:confused:

Unless you play the "game" with the AD`s , something i am not prepared to do.

Had my name down with two local AD`s , my "contact" a one of the places moved on (or was pushed) and i was told that his client list would be picked up by another member of their staff , guess what - no correspondence , surprisingly , even though i have purchased two Omegas and a Tudor from their "group" which was clearly not enough to be taken seriously as a buyer and warrant a phone-call.

The wife was looking for an eternity ring for our 30th anniversary and as she was in one place i was in the second AD to inquire about my position on the "list" and explained that the wife was looking to purchase a ring and the sales assistant explained (in not so many words) that it would be "beneficial" to my position on the list if the ring was purchased from them , it was at that point i thanked her for her time and left realizing that if i wanted the watch it would need to be pre-owned as i was not going to play their (bribery) game hoping i would eventually get the watch.

Used to be that a special watch (Rolex) was for a special occasion , clearly retirement and a Pearl anniversary aren`t special enough reason to own one , now-a-days.

Maybe being a teenage Tic-tocker / You Tuber / infulencer / rapper from the "hood" may see me in with more of a chance.

K

Last edited:
When I was chatting to the chap who i use for watch services he mentioned that it’s best to avoid manually winding automatic watches by the crown and leave it to the rotor. I forget the name of the part but apparently manually winding can put undue strain on a couple of the gears.
I don’t believe that any quality watch would have that issue. When I was a kid we were taught how to wind a watch and before ‘automatics' we had ‘manual' watches and wound them every single day.

I never actually wind my watches - couple of shakes, set date & time and wear it.

Used to be that a special watch (Rolex) was for a special occasion , clearly retirement and a Pearl anniversary aren`t special enough reason to own one , now-a-days.
Used to be most people didn’t know what a Rolex watch was. When I was at school in the 60s, a class mate had a Rolex submariner (had been his father’s). I was so envious as I’d seen 'James Bond’ with one (I think it was in Thunderball).

When I purchased my first Rolex, I was the only person, I knew, that owned one.

Used to be most people didn’t know what a Rolex watch was. When I was at school in the 60s, a class mate had a Rolex submariner (had been his father’s). I was so envious as I’d seen 'James Bond’ with one (I think it was in Thunderball).

When I purchased my first Rolex, I was the only person, I knew, that owned one.
All the oiks at work have them now. They pay monthly.

Have a look at the Bulova Lunar Pilot. Really interesting backstory and a nice looking watch.
Saw a Bulova in a localish jewellers about a month ago and read up on their history. A bit to bling for me.
1671483273895.jpeg

A word of warning, don't buy an automatic watch if you are retiring. The watch will last a number of years and at retirement you will begin to slow down, you will go to bed earlier, get up later, the watch will stop! Since retirement 11 years ago I have sold most of my auto watches and now wear a quartz watch, time keeping is better and there are some very nice quartz watches about including Omega, Rolex and Ebel to name but a few
The simple remedy is not to take it off when you go to bed.
Works for me.

The Submariner seems standard issue in most car dealerships of late.

K
I have to say that I see far more Rolex than Omegas, generally speaking.
Does this prove the old saying "Rolex for show,Omega for those that know"?

I'll get my coat. Taxi!

I think that this is correct for older watches but not so much for newer ones provided that you don't overwind them. Just wind it 4-5 times to get the movement started and throw it on your wrist.
To be clear, i'm not an advocate of winders but some people don't like setting the time every time they wear a watch. I think that keeping a mechanical watch running when you're not wearing it is like putting miles on your cars when you're not driving them. You're just wearing them out unnecessarily.

Some more recent watch purchases

One of my favorite buys is a cheapie but a goodie. Accurist retro racer which I picked up in London last month when I came to visit. It came with a mesh strap but I threw on a nato strap which looks more the part.

iRBVcB0l3BYBAw4ZT-tM3rYITM5nubm8RMdSGPs3Ft93SO6FTHY84PkosxxBCoIyZx81WlhqJRWOXaKdggaubfK0bqBHk1qdU-wjGO1D4sHBp7MClTnHkcaYPC7ppzIUMupEDLbCdGLUjzApcDLEGcM8ltbL2pZZghJgR08Fl1Itc9U8vSzNUsqi-cipA2Dr28YIZ7BYONlJWqz3RLFAp8QqBLVRFQndYLzYegFzrbjYtIYhWL81ISSux65qAjU8QraBCVJaYXFAnCAjwSk7I9N1b_cFczf-DW-f9GSMLTGavWeCKj1TToVEdEJ7J8diqbRe-jxgod7Z2i1EgLtpqtcRIvtdgojrD0l1TWsMIAyKNtshT1GLY6gBd13qw05kXMyfI69RI0yy621YC94NE-x75kBXaqjXFf1D7dsUYAK-k7Pp-zxG4NRKkT-Lp4-vDENGOawrmHet5sW3aQhfcXOj323UrcocUijmEm_4uQ53itgEsbhllSLJfUhWkSE3RKNTOpeDSO5YGbFpm4CGvi49yLxnuypjqSGOkFzYFiTQ9E-iQGCi_XJWV_tTwoooL-ZA2xtZDTBqSWk2CSDstP4PLJ5zBoZ3ZaKoMOQ95F1a_8R-kdpt2O0pTKrmQt6jaOBjNE4DmONyOh2weW7aa2p_rKJalMZq9bm0MF5pBFo8JppnFt88nIzUjt-dt7rf1LaTVmETHDuHxCPVR2HafvxrdJqABCKE8TK8O3D7GBFt_noyzjM-OSLfwCG7V1v6PhENijcO0qsTKwUD8shZmBEjvzpPpyo7O7iq6X03rxiSBxPjODNMfwkpFYiEnZ4XJq54HYj8lWonfpeVsJLKAEODXWzwcs5zDSKCN9fWaPPeEKG4LIjdG_Cm87FZ3x-DJb3ZbN_zfqTeg8FdnU-UHsnsxg_bbqixM6mVBIKITbtM7JQDpQ=w1013-h760-no

This is a Chinese watch that I picked up. It looks like the discontinued Grand Seiko that I was lusting after. It's incredibly well finished and uses the PT5000 movement which is a Chinese chronometer certified high beat movement.

In my opinion, it's pretty much the best $2000 watch you can buy for $300

KwqgS25HIOsE0c_sxFwdmmRfk1lZBQPWWsP9PoNGJXE27kj0FGOtbXqBxBgS4sUliH3pfscEbka9xY58RVgLZ4YWUMcfmUCFlU-M5CPK9TgzjfHr8nKYP1Ve8qhPDHtCl5Wr-h9Jxjq5UYm5bcN0298Yz4smyxen3qr0waCffSBJRn2l-MWHVwjFiwcro8Bsz5j6MDH3QCsmRBjwQHPnEyV7QW5lRgDopizVdO9f8liR45O6xfoqOmeRM_MShF5bZ8TqcEbwiIYOzEwzkVTxMgRyps-kUpwulTxP6c5temUSEuZ-LhhU0NTyu6a2oP42hixEEtJYAYIqkSBkm5Mmdtod29qv6dGPptFW_O-y-IFA3WLRvDAI93n9ECHmpxhnMeDNnGxPMtgq8XHuQW55xrxzCun7_0LSQTIvI47jXyv69q7pOoc36RTiwIyag5bobzyXRGPzS_2CjniSezZidLa3hczIxqOMVYzbQA7DefNwxBDeaw8t1tS_rQQBwtJK4IpaO8iBEpeam85E175YGMPMKsplztFCWxXuDnXDk9JrbQ3pJkPueINMWYYjXMsKnkHiqPaxPCL_DblhxFZXgsz80sLT69G3XK9DPDaOieKj1C1MtJB0fSBiAgHOzcmhLWPWXdMDXOk6WBw511gEEcTw3dqtinMaQHezegpUydLkVYGfYqiHnd6PwK-BmKbIZVI_dIjaLiePWG1w2LvvVu5XTq04YfSjYyGz2AS2g2Zx48LnaI-FStFIU5XmPm0WziRgDUf8VYDvUMzDB-7N91FMmlWICRHCMekr0sXyz2OFRCwvRn8T8Zps6f24EFS8q8wLAoByi9n47hOcNcm-DFHkmdJrQx_FNuvTtISbW844Rnm8cSTAVk2I4JR_ygGl99vrGHrUSXtyzcnBBN_aTZp7no95M_NkBuDzMz6wGcbOc090Yg=w1013-h760-no

Last edited:
Deleted. Duplicate

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom