• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Another watch thread...............

Not immediately but by 2029. The flippers will be flipped

Rolex plans new factory and 2,000 jobs in Switzerland​

I read that somewhere , however ,i fear they will still be restricting supplies to protect the brands "desirability" and exclusivity.

It will however curtail the grey market somewhat so at least you may be able to buy the watch you want when you want it rather than being at the mercy of the AD and their questionable selling practices.

K

This is probably the reason that most of the "Prestige" watch brands are still mechanical while Quartz movements have taken over the mass market.

The prestige brands like Rolex were not prestige before the advent of the quartz movement, they built high quality tool watches. The ones that survived went up market and by creating a new segment of high end luxury watches. I remember when I was a kid working on Oxford Street, Rolex used to make a model called the OysterQuartz which was a quarts version of the Oyster Perpetual.

Rolex might be the best marketing company in the world. I have a submariner that I bought circa 2005. I also have a Seamaster from the same era. The Seamaster was a nicer watch at half the price. Now the Seamster is 2x the 2005 price. The Sub is more like 7-8x. They're creating the bubble and pushing prices up by restricting supply. Now they're getting into the CPO game, they'll cut the legs out of the secondary market.

AP, PP and VC owners smile when they hear or read Rolex owners suggesting that 👀
Different price range again. There are many watches worth way more than your average Rolex . I like Rolex because they are pretty much indestructible compared to some.

Like cars, there is a"mine is bigger than yours” element to watches - and then there are all those running around with fake watches, designer gear and cars on lease, trying to keep up with the Jones’.

"FAKE IT, TILL YOU MAKE IT”.

I read that somewhere , however ,i fear they will still be restricting supplies to protect the brands "desirability" and exclusivity.

It will however curtail the grey market somewhat so at least you may be able to buy the watch you want when you want it rather than being at the mercy of the AD and their questionable selling practices.

K
Not grey market. Black market, and a good source of income for criminal organisation's.

Narrowing in on a Christopher Ward C63 Sealander Bronze COSC
They have already offered a £100 discount for signing up, will probably wait until after Christmas to see if discount increases.
I have never seen them increase their discounts but on the plus side they v frequently email you the £100 discount code. I have been v happy with my C Ward watch bought in the early days of their company starting before they sold out to someone (cant remember who sorry).

Narrowing in on a Christopher Ward C63 Sealander Bronze COSC
They have already offered a £100 discount for signing up, will probably wait until after Christmas to see if discount increases.
That's a good movement for the cost, and i like that you can see it from both sides, that's neat. Essentially the same movement found in the Breitling SuperOcean. (albeit the Sellita version rather than ETA). In fact the Sellita version has one extra jewel!

That's a good movement for the cost, and i like that you can see it from both sides, that's neat. Essentially the same movement found in the Breitling SuperOcean. (albeit the Sellita version rather than ETA). In fact the Sellita version has one extra jewel!
Reminds me of the days when watch makers had “17 Jewels” or similar printed on the face on the watch.

Interesting thread. I currently have three watches on the go which made me think about the chinese saying "Man with one watch knows the time, man with 2 watches is never sure". Where I stand with three, the wisdom is not clear!
1) Old swatch. Like it because it has a bit of colour in it, keeps the time (!), is light, waterproof and has free batteries for life at Swatch.
2) Old Fossil Big Tick - the one with analog hands and a digital LCD display behind. Heavy and solid and looks interesting. Has 2 batteries -one for the analog bit (time) and another for the digital bit
3) Omega Seamaster Day date auto. Thanks to this thread I know it has a 1020 movement but know very little about it other than it belonged to my father who was given it from new. Keeps very good time, and just feels right
1671619417401.png1671619531556.png1671623928923.jpeg

I've collected watches for 20 years now with some coming and going.. My current 3 special/investment ones and these will not be going anywhere.

2022 Patek Philippe 5726A-001 - Bought new and has everything plus single and 6 x Patek Travel case
2004 Panerai Luminor Marina PAM140 18k Yellow Gold - Full Set, triple boxed and all paperwork, just refurbished @ Panerai so it's Mint
1994 Zenith Bi-Metal Daytona - My daily, owned this 20 years - Box and papers

All 3.jpg

I've collected watches for 20 years now with some coming and going.. My current 3 special/investment ones and these will not be going anywhere.

2022 Patek Philippe 5726A-001 - Bought new and has everything plus single and 6 x Patek Travel case
2004 Panerai Luminor Marina PAM140 18k Yellow Gold - Full Set, triple boxed and all paperwork, just refurbished @ Panerai so it's Mint

View attachment 135047
Gosh, hard to choose between those, ignoring the value aspect. I do like the Panerai, almost has an Art Deco feel. Would you ever wear the Patek outdoors?

View attachment 135047
Now all you need is a bigger wrist .;):) Daytona has always been my favourite.

I have never seen them increase their discounts but on the plus side they v frequently email you the £100 discount code. I have been v happy with my C Ward watch bought in the early days of their company starting before they sold out to someone (cant remember who sorry).
Have already received a £100 discount code for registering which expires 24th Dec. Confident of receiving a £100 discount code in the future.
Hopeful that this can be combined with a January sale special offer :dk:
If not, happy to buy at RRP - £100

Different price range again. There are many watches worth way more than your average Rolex . I like Rolex because they are pretty much indestructible compared to some.

Like cars, there is a"mine is bigger than yours” element to watches - and then there are all those running around with fake watches, designer gear and cars on lease, trying to keep up with the Jones’.

"FAKE IT, TILL YOU MAKE IT”.
I've been put off Rolex solely because of the nonsense with AD's and the over hyped prices in the grey market. If I ever want another, I'll get youngest offspring to get it for me, since he seems to be able to get anything (even Subs) from his local AD, albeit with a few weeks wait. I've become a fan of Tudor though, models seemingly readily available.

I've been put off Rolex solely because of the nonsense with AD's and the over hyped prices in the grey market. If I ever want another, I'll get youngest offspring to get it for me, since he seems to be able to get anything (even Subs) from his local AD, albeit with a few weeks wait. I've become a fan of Tudor though, models seemingly readily available.
I like the Tudors as well and. A friend of mine had one in the 70s when they were still reasonably priced (poor man’s Rolex) but as they have become more recognised prices have shot up.

I've been put off Rolex solely because of the nonsense with AD's and the over hyped prices in the grey market. If I ever want another,
Yes it puts me off too, and the same type of practices put me off Porsche GT and special Ferrari models too. I understand that very limited pieces will be offered to the best customers, but I really don’t like the “buy this, buy that and buy the other and it will be looked upon favourably when allocating slots”. It works for Rolex, Porsche and Ferrari as plenty of people go along with it. It’s not for me though.

Yes its crackers,if your face fits etc,if you buy some slow selling jewellery or ladies model then you may be bestowed the great honour. The newer stuff is too blingy for my age so i prefer the older 5 digit references and have a couple of 50 plus year old subs in my collection.

Yes it puts me off too, and the same type of practices put me off Porsche GT and special Ferrari models too. I understand that very limited pieces will be offered to the best customers, but I really don’t like the “buy this, buy that and buy the other and it will be looked upon favourably when allocating slots”. It works for Rolex, Porsche and Ferrari as plenty of people go along with it. It’s not for me though.
The thing that surprises me is that the folk who play the Rolex game clearly have sufficient disposable income, and as such I would think they would be more astute to the fact they are being royally played. It’s not like Rolex is the pinnacle of watchmakers - I’d understand more if we’re talking about the “trinity” watchmakers.

Gosh, hard to choose between those, ignoring the value aspect. I do like the Panerai, almost has an Art Deco feel. Would you ever wear the Patek outdoors?

Cheers Chris, The PAM140 is very heavy and in the Paneristi groups they call it the "Ingot" .... It's a beautiful Italian watch and as you say quite Art Deco...

The Patek I bought back in May and I've worn it 3 times, its a very special piece - The dark World as it is as present with the rats that rob people for fine watches and jewellery dictates to me that this and the Panerai do not come out much, although when worn they are under a shirt sleeve.

The vintage Daytona however is always worn when I decide to wear a piece...

As you all say about AD's - its a very much a face fit sale these days which is utterly stupid, I was lucky to know someone, who sourced the Patek for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom