best detailing products and tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

michaelk3289

Car
2007 W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde
Hello all.

So I've just took ownership of a 1999 w210 e240

Now I appreciate it's not the most amazing car that Mercedes has ever built but it's in pretty good condition for a 1999

Has some rust bubbles on arches as you would expect however the rest of the car is mint.

I have just cleaned up the interior including a full leather clean using turtle wax luxe leather balm. I actually cleaned them with Auto Glym leather shampoo first but to be honest they didn't look all matt and supple so went back to a tried and trusted product, I've used turtle was leather cleaner before and it works really well, I use a Maguires brush to work the product in and then after a few mind wipe off with a damp cloth, always looks super matt and supper supple afterwards

So the leather seats and the dash have been cleaned up, including reviews fitting the drivers door card so the locking indicator pin now fits in its round hole and goes up and down when locked and unlocked (it was under the door card which was fitted badly, nice and tidy now)

I now want to turn to the body work!

But before I jump in and buy something I was hoping to kill 2 birds with 1 stone

Is there a polishing product I can buy that can fit on to an orbital sander, I ask because I need to buy a sander for a table I've bought and wondered if there was a tool that would work for both? Or an angle grinder for that matter.

I'm also keen to polish my head lights as they are a bit milky

Thanks in advance

Michael

Last edited:
If my recent experience of renovating a pine dining table for my daughter and SIL are anything to go by, I started by trying my 1/2 sheet sander with a 120 grit sheet and ended up having to start with my 4" belt sander and a 40 grit belt!

You want a random orbit beast that takes different sizes of pads. I have a Kestrel DAS6 with a selection of Sonus pads plus 3m paint correction fluids. OK, I could possibly get Sonus or similar pads to fit my 125mm random orbit sander that I use for woodwork - but I keep my woodworking tools for that and have the DAS6 for the cars.

If you want to get OCD about it, have a look on The Worlds Largest Resource for Detailers, Valeters and Car Cleaning, but beware, it's a long, slippery and expensive slope - and detailingworld do not allow "name and shame" threads when a visit to a detailer goes wrong.

If my recent experience of renovating a pine dining table for my daughter and SIL are anything to go by, I started by trying my 1/2 sheet sander with a 120 grit sheet and ended up having to start with my 4" belt sander and a 40 grit belt!

Thanks for tip.

This will be my second table I've bought to sand and paint, the first was bought as a do up and sell on ebay. Did OK on it. Made about 75 quid once I had deducted all the materials etc, and I got to use the left over paint on several bed side tables.

Thanks for the info on the random orbital sander, from what you say I can get a sander that will then fit polishing pads? If so perfect

I'm not planning on going fully down the detailing route, both our cars are bashed about and lug the kids around but I like to wash and polish them when I can, they won't be winning any shows just my satisfaction of looking after them as best as I can whilst using on any daily basis

Hoping to get the alloys off for a refurb soon as they are tatty

Thanks again.

I did the headlamps on a Golf with t-cut and an "angle grinder" type polisher.
Followed up with a very gentle AG polish. Worked well, BUT protect the paint around the lights.

I would strongly recommend 3m headlight restoration kit. Fits onto a standard drill.

MercedesD.

I agree Michaelk3289

But the cars shown on this forum after members detailing operations are truely fantastic

Holy 'polishing nightmare', do not ever use an Angle Grinder even with a polishing pad. The head speed is simply too fast, and may easily result in 'burning' the clear coat and if catching an edge on the 'pad' zip straight down to bare metal!

Even if you use a drill adapter, the head is at the wrong 90° angle to the output shaft, you will almost never be able to keep it 'flat' on a body panel.

You and I are both in the same boat, I'm looking into £50 quid'ish DA Polishers to fettle my yet to be delivered ML320. I already have Orbital Sanders, Angle Grinders, and Belt Sanders, but they won't be going anywhere near the car.

For your table, I'd recommend a 'belt sander' for the grunt work, and then finish with a 'flat orbital' for the fine work. That is what I use. An orbital simply takes too much effort and time and does not get flat enough results over a large straight surface run.

Any recommendations on a £50 quid-ish DA Polisher, much appreciated.
Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom