• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Best method of painting?

dikdik

Car
c250td
I am fixing a rust spot. Going to apply some rust remover, scrap it thoroughly with a wirebrush and then apply some primer

The question is whats best way of applying paint once primer is dried? I have seen some spray paint cans in Halfords. Or is there a way of applying it with a brush that wont leave brush marks? Want it to look very professional. Its two rust spots both slightly larger than a 50 pence piece

The process of repairing the rust spots you describe are best left to the profesionals
or DIY'er with lots of experience or you will end up with a lumpy mis-matched botch
that will look awful.

I wouldn't do it. Get someone else to do it and take the liability for it if the rust comes back. Good luck if you decide to go it alone.

If you just paint it, you'll end up with a hollow. Fill it slightly proud, sand it completely flat, then paint it.

Take your time. Bound to look better than rust spots!

If you just paint it, you'll end up with a hollow. Fill it slightly proud, sand it completely flat, then paint it.

Take your time. Bound to look better than rust spots!

Thanks for the suggestion. So do i use a brush or spray can/aerosol paint.

Bodyshop quoted around £300 and said they would need repaint the whole bootlid. The car worth about £350 and i think better do it myself. And as you sid it would be better than having rust spots

If you mask it up really well you could spray it, but you will still have to feather the edges in. Otherwise, a good brush followed by careful work with progressively finer grades of wet & dry could be the way.

I'd be doing that as a DIYer too. :)

In terms of the rust treatment, what seems to work for me is sanding it with something like a small flap wheel to get the top rust and loose flaky paint off so you have a small area of shiny metal around the pitted area, then using something like the green acidic rust dissolving gel to remove all of the rust (be prepared to keep repeating that step, washing off every couple of hours or so, drying and repeating, keeping the gel 'wet' rather than leaving it to dry out. You will ow when you have done enough as there won't be any black bits at the bottom of the pitted area. Then wash well with clean water and (important) dry it very well, heating the panel is a neat way of ensuring it is properly dry and you need to be sure that all the acid gel has gone too.

Primer of choice for this would be that 'bonda primer' that replaced red oxide for use on classic cars and structural steelwork etc. it's an ugly red colour but is chemical formulated to go onto bare metal, but unlike most other primers, is waterproof and effectively seals the pitted area and stops it from rusting much better than anything else I have seen. Brush that on, leave to dry, brush more on, leave to dry, brush more on, then leave for several weeks to fully lose all of its solvents. Your car will look a little scruffy during this time, but that patience will be worth it.

Then flat it back with a fine wet and dry paper (P400 to start with) and then P800 to get rid of any high spots in the primer, brush marks or sanding lines and it will be time for more conventional primer. I would spray that, overlapping a tiny bit into the painted area around and wait patiently for that to be thoroughly dry (more than a day even in this weather) before flitting that back.

Read about guide coats and decide whether you want a really good finish or just something 'not rusty' and either go through the guide coat process to get the panel really accurately flat and smooth, or move on to paint. The one thing I would say is that the time spent in prep is far more important than rushing to get paint over the top and trying to fix it later with polish.

I have had good results by stripping all the wax polish off the panel to be sprayed (G3 polish and some more patience) and then working my way around the area to be sprayed with some P1200 paper to gently provide a keyed surface to help the paint to stick - wax contamination is heart breaking and peeling paint later is similarly distressing if you have spent some time on it.

As far as colour goes, if you can get a fairly well matched aerosol and the car is a very dark colour, it is probably just worth doing that. I'm not sue if Holts still deal in their "spray match" paints but some paint factors will put professional quality paints into aerosols for you to use at home and that's probably the best way to get a colour match. The decision you have is whether you want to paint the whole panel or just a small part of it, a poor match might look awful on a spot, but you might get away with covering the primed area and overlapping your spray slightly outside over the adjacent paint getting progressively thinner to allow a soft blend to form, almost dust looking at its edges. Let the colour coat(s) flash off (get 'touch dry') and then go over with lacquer (I'm assuming your car is a metallic).

The lacquer coat should go much further than the colour coated area and I'd say do the whole panel if you can, as then you won't get any hideous spray lines to rub out (and inevitably chase around the panel).

Once you've put the clear (lacquer) coat on, leave it well alone for at least a fortnight until you can't smell the solvents in the paint and you can't make any kind of mark in the new paint with your finger nail, then start to polish it. If you're the king of the spray can, some cans actually give a very good finish, but more likely you might find you want to start with a very fine wet and dry paper (P1200 perhaps) and go over the whole panel to remove any roughness in the lacquer. Do this 'wet' as the water lubricates and cleans the paper and stops it from clogging and scratching the paint. Then go over with G3 rubbing compound and finally your polish of choice.

That might be a bit OTT for you and I haven't covered everything in lots of detail - be prepared to be doing bits to it over a few weekends and open up a few cans of patience. The waiting times are based on my own experiences as the paint tends to shrink as it dries and where you might rub it back to a flat surface and then paint over that, as it continues to dry it shrinks more and looks bad later on. You can avoid that if you are expecting it.

Or, go as far as the 'bonda primer' stage, carefully flat that back and (eek) brush on some colour and lacquer. Roughly right colour, roughly flat and rust free panel...

Hope this helps, I'm sure I will have missed something but someone will correct it I'm sure. (Please do!) :)

Ian.

Angle Grinder is the only way you can get it down to pure bare metal.

I'd be doing that as a DIYer too. :)

In terms of the rust treatment, what seems to work for me is sanding it with something like a small flap wheel to get the top rust and loose flaky paint off so you have a small area of shiny metal around the pitted area, then using something like the green acidic rust dissolving gel to remove all of the rust (be prepared to keep repeating that step, washing off every couple of hours or so, drying and repeating, keeping the gel 'wet' rather than leaving it to dry out. You will ow when you have done enough as there won't be any black bits at the bottom of the pitted area. Then wash well with clean water and (important) dry it very well, heating the panel is a neat way of ensuring it is properly dry and you need to be sure that all the acid gel has gone too.

Primer of choice for this would be that 'bonda primer' that replaced red oxide for use on classic cars and structural steelwork etc. it's an ugly red colour but is chemical formulated to go onto bare metal, but unlike most other primers, is waterproof and effectively seals the pitted area and stops it from rusting much better than anything else I have seen. Brush that on, leave to dry, brush more on, leave to dry, brush more on, then leave for several weeks to fully lose all of its solvents. Your car will look a little scruffy during this time, but that patience will be worth it.

Then flat it back with a fine wet and dry paper (P400 to start with) and then P800 to get rid of any high spots in the primer, brush marks or sanding lines and it will be time for more conventional primer. I would spray that, overlapping a tiny bit into the painted area around and wait patiently for that to be thoroughly dry (more than a day even in this weather) before flitting that back.

Read about guide coats and decide whether you want a really good finish or just something 'not rusty' and either go through the guide coat process to get the panel really accurately flat and smooth, or move on to paint. The one thing I would say is that the time spent in prep is far more important than rushing to get paint over the top and trying to fix it later with polish.

I have had good results by stripping all the wax polish off the panel to be sprayed (G3 polish and some more patience) and then working my way around the area to be sprayed with some P1200 paper to gently provide a keyed surface to help the paint to stick - wax contamination is heart breaking and peeling paint later is similarly distressing if you have spent some time on it.

As far as colour goes, if you can get a fairly well matched aerosol and the car is a very dark colour, it is probably just worth doing that. I'm not sue if Holts still deal in their "spray match" paints but some paint factors will put professional quality paints into aerosols for you to use at home and that's probably the best way to get a colour match. The decision you have is whether you want to paint the whole panel or just a small part of it, a poor match might look awful on a spot, but you might get away with covering the primed area and overlapping your spray slightly outside over the adjacent paint getting progressively thinner to allow a soft blend to form, almost dust looking at its edges. Let the colour coat(s) flash off (get 'touch dry') and then go over with lacquer (I'm assuming your car is a metallic).

The lacquer coat should go much further than the colour coated area and I'd say do the whole panel if you can, as then you won't get any hideous spray lines to rub out (and inevitably chase around the panel).

Once you've put the clear (lacquer) coat on, leave it well alone for at least a fortnight until you can't smell the solvents in the paint and you can't make any kind of mark in the new paint with your finger nail, then start to polish it. If you're the king of the spray can, some cans actually give a very good finish, but more likely you might find you want to start with a very fine wet and dry paper (P1200 perhaps) and go over the whole panel to remove any roughness in the lacquer. Do this 'wet' as the water lubricates and cleans the paper and stops it from clogging and scratching the paint. Then go over with G3 rubbing compound and finally your polish of choice.

That might be a bit OTT for you and I haven't covered everything in lots of detail - be prepared to be doing bits to it over a few weekends and open up a few cans of patience. The waiting times are based on my own experiences as the paint tends to shrink as it dries and where you might rub it back to a flat surface and then paint over that, as it continues to dry it shrinks more and looks bad later on. You can avoid that if you are expecting it.

Or, go as far as the 'bonda primer' stage, carefully flat that back and (eek) brush on some colour and lacquer. Roughly right colour, roughly flat and rust free panel...

Hope this helps, I'm sure I will have missed something but someone will correct it I'm sure. (Please do!) :)

Ian.
A couple of additions to IanT's excellent rundown. While spraying a hairdrier can help drying between coats. The other comment is that the success of home repairs is very dependant on the colour you are dealing with. Light metallics that have aged are notoriously difficult to match accurately- they bloom easily - and require patience to apply as it takes more time than usual to build colour cover. They will also " darken" with increasing layers of clear coat. Even the pros with the best equipment find them difficult to match. Your chances of success are markedly improved with darker fuller colour metallics. :dk:

The best solution is probably to do all the rust removal, filler and primer application, and then get a smart repair company to apply the base coat and clear as a spot repair.

^^ Value of the car is around £350 . If he follows the advice given there is no need to spend more than around £25 , and still have paint left over for touching up any scratches. Have used similar methods many times over the years. Its surprising how adept you become with spray cans when you are on a tight budget. A £350 motor is unlikely to be a contender for concours , but will look much improved with a little time and effort.

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry but meant to say value of the car is £650 not £350. At £650 I dont see it as making economic sense paying £200 + for a bodyshop to fix it

You can get a pretty good finish with rattle cans, I've done a couple of sets of alloys that came out great, but blending in a repair is going to be tough, especially for a first project.

I'd be more inclined to to use a 2 part filler on any pitting (after rust removal of course), then an etch primer to spot prime any areas of bare metal, followed by a high build primer. Using a blending solvent on the clear coat can be useful as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom