• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Blankety Blank

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure as hell isn't about winners and losers. There are both across all classes.

No, I think Poormansporsche's statement is fair enough. Humour is subjective, and what I think we're really saying is that, generally speaking, the Great Unwashed laugh, or laugh more, at different material than those higher up the social and/or intellectual scale do.
Not sure if this is humour but it made me laugh like a drain.

So what I get from your posts is, that if someone likes a joke that you don't(maybe a crude one), then they are a lower class loser.

Wow.
You need to recalibrate your getter. That's neither what I said, nor what I meant. It may, however, be what you perceived

Subjectively...

I wouldn't worry my friend. So long as you feel you are a good person, what we think / do, don't matter one jot :)

I dont worry about what people think about me, I worry about some people think of others.
You need to recalibrate your getter. That's neither what I said, nor what I meant. It may, however, be what you perceived

Subjectively...

What did you mean? as you wrote it in a way that it could be allegedly be perceived numerous ways , you've obviously not said it very clearly, as that's exactly how I read it to be.

What did you mean? as you wrote it in a way that it could be allegedly be perceived numerous ways , you've obviously not said it very clearly, as that's exactly how I read it to be.
What I meant was what I said. I did not say that I regard as lower-class losers people who like jokes that I don't find funny; it's infinitely more complicated than that. If you object to the use of the term 'Great Unwashed', I withdraw it, but it does say in two words what otherwise might need far more.

What I meant was that programmes like Blankety Blank and Family Fortunes appeal mainly to those towards the lower end of the socio-economic scale in the general population.

(See what I meant about needing far more words?)

I am a working class snob. I look down on the underclass.

My nu money neighbours look down on me because I have a van and a taste for somewhat rusty youngtimer cars and have no interest in possessing the latest plate Range Rover.

I look down on them because they are entitled selfish pricks.

I don't worry about snobbery, people will be people, that's just how it is :)
Oh, you crashing snob, you! You look down on them for the wrong reason; you should look down on them because they are new money... :rolleyes:

They probably watch Blankety Blank and Family Fortunes too... :eek:

What I meant was that programmes like Blankety Blank and Family Fortunes appeal mainly to those towards the lower end of the socio-economic scale in the general population.
Mmmm, isn't the above statement, which ever way you try and put it, a bit snobbish. So what appeals to the middle/upper class, socio/economic scale,
QI or Have I got news for you, etc, just curious.

So who are the losers you talk off?

I'm honestly finding it hard to take not to take anything you say as very insulting to the general population of the UK.

Obviously my opinion and I'm trying hard to see your perspective, but all I see is a very elitist snob.

Mmmm, isn't the above statement, which ever way you try and put it, a bit snobbish.
Yes, but it's accurate too, don't you think? How would you put it, if not like that?

So what appeals to the middle/upper class, socio/economic scale,
QI or Have I got news for you, etc, just curious.
As it happens, I watch QI and HIGNFY, but I could not say for sure whether that's typical. I also watched Les Dawson because he made me laugh, and Bernard Manning ( :oops: :oops: :oops: ) because he made me laugh too, and so does Bradley Walsh. I won't be watching Blankety Blank or Family Fortunes, though, because they're low brow junk; the audience laughs at the contestants, not with them, and I don't find that funny.

See post #38: "...in life there are winners and losers, and we are all to some degree both."
I'm honestly finding it hard to take not to take anything you say as very insulting to the general population of the UK.

Obviously my opinion and I'm trying hard to see your perspective, but all I see is a very elitist snob.
Post #38 again. I see the world as it is. You may not agree with me, but that does not persuade me I'm wrong.

Mate. Like many people, myself (and Mr Bof too I should imagine) are of a certain age and have certain life experiences that give you a certain perspective on most social groups. People don't just get out of bed and act a particular way.

So you're older so you are right.

I get it now.

I hope when I get old I'm not so blinkered and judgemental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom