• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Bought an R129 unseen - a Cautionary Tale...

. There's a green 1996 SL500 in Birmingham on eBay, ludicrously cheap, that I'd go and see like a shot if I didn't have this one.

I didn't realise you were after a tired minger of an SL.
Rotten wing (s?), bumper hanging off, wheels badly corroded, creative photography of drivers seat, signs of poor repairs to both rear arches (I think, looking at photos).........

Bear in mind that the V5 only tells you who the registered keeper is. It's a good start to buy a car from the person named on the V5 and to buy it from the address shown on the V5 - and to check that the V5 is the latest one issued by DVLA.
Even then there is no guarantee that the registered keeper has title to the car, nor does it guarantee against finance being owed (by someone) on the car.
You probably realize now that you have taken a fairly large punt not just on the condition of the car but whether you actually own it or not. Getting a new V5 won't prove that but it should trigger a visit from the police (if its stolen) or a finance company if they are looking for cash.
Hope it works out.

Somehow, I just knew it would all end in tears.

It hasn't. The fat lady is just warming up in her dressing room, though...

Last edited:
I didn't realise you were after a tired minger of an SL.
Rotten wing (s?), bumper hanging off, wheels badly corroded, creative photography of drivers seat, signs of poor repairs to both rear arches (I think, looking at photos).........

Do try not to be so relentlessly optimistic all the time...

The OSF wing needs a little work; as described. I don't see any bumpers hanging off. The driver's seat is as described. The wheels need refurbishment; I knew that. The rear arches have been rolled to accommodate the Carlsson wheels.

If you have anything useful to contribute, feel free to do so. Frankly, you haven't yet...:D

You probably realize now that you have taken a fairly large punt not just on the condition of the car but whether you actually own it or not. Getting a new V5 won't prove that but it should trigger a visit from the police (if its stolen) or a finance company if they are looking for cash.

If it's stolen, it's not been reported to the police, and it's been for sale for the best part of a year. With 20/20 hindsight, I'd not have bought (60% of) it in the first place, but that's water under the bridge. Now that I AM (probably) stuck with the thing, I don't see an alternative to sorting it out, and mechanically, it needs very little - not even discs and pads, let alone a new hood. The car has been looked after until fairly recently, I suspect.

Thank you for the good wishes. More anon...

Hi E55BOF, I was looking on eBay in the vain hope of seeing the 1996 SL you mentioned earlier, and came accross a 2007 SLR Mclaren Roadster for sale for £329,995, your probably thinking so what?
Here's what, last Sept. I was filling my E class in a garage in La Zenia on the Costa Blanca Espana, when on hearing a deep burbling exhaust note, next to me on the pumps was that very SLR, just beautiful.what makes me think that? Well on looking at its history in the advert its 1st service was in Almeria Spain, the 2nd & 3rd in Marbella , Spain, about 200 MLS. South of where we were, the date of which was July this year, Its only done 8500 mls , I think it must have been on its way to England to be sold by Super Car Rooms of Hartlebury, where it is today. How strange is that? Now, if you could Just manage another 60%,,,,,,,,.. I do believe it is the same car, after all there are very few around.

The OSF wing needs a little work; as described. I don't see any bumpers hanging off. The driver's seat is as described. The wheels need refurbishment; I knew that. The rear arches have been rolled to accommodate the Carlsson wheels.

If you have anything useful to contribute, feel free to do so. Frankly, you haven't yet...:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55BOF View Post
. There's a green 1996 SL500 in Birmingham on eBay, ludicrously cheap, that I'd go and see like a shot if I didn't have this one.

1996 Mercedes-Benz SL Class 5.0 SL500 2dr

You don't see any bumpers hanging off????????
That's the nearside wing that's rotten not the offside.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I have misinterpreted both of your recent purchase threads.
Maybe I should get you to buy my cars for me in future, evidently I can't see things for what they really are.........

Sorry, I guess that's not a "worthy contribution" to your thread either, is it?

Last edited:
I do beg your pardon. I thought you were referring to the blue heap of crap I've got, not the green heap of crap in Birmingham...
I hadn't looked that closely at the green one, to be honest.

Mea culpa; mea culpa; mea maxima culpa... You send the sackcloth and ashes; I'll wear 'em. :o

Dennis

Last edited:
Hi E55BOF, I was looking on eBay in the vain hope of seeing the 1996 SL you mentioned earlier, and came accross a 2007 SLR Mclaren Roadster for sale for £329,995, your probably thinking so what?
Here's what, last Sept. I was filling my E class in a garage in La Zenia on the Costa Blanca Espana, when on hearing a deep burbling exhaust note, next to me on the pumps was that very SLR, just beautiful.what makes me think that? Well on looking at its history in the advert its 1st service was in Almeria Spain, the 2nd & 3rd in Marbella , Spain, about 200 MLS. South of where we were, the date of which was July this year, Its only done 8500 mls , I think it must have been on its way to England to be sold by Super Car Rooms of Hartlebury, where it is today. How strange is that? Now, if you could Just manage another 60%,,,,,,,,.. I do believe it is the same car, after all there are very few around.

I'm sorry, Peter; you've lost me. :dk: I like surreal as much as the next man (well, unless the next man is Salvador Dali...), but I don't see the link.

You're too late with the tip-off, though; I'd already paid the deposit, but they can't quite seem to locate the registration document. Here we go again...

I do beg your pardon. I thought you were referring to the blue heap of crap I've got, not the green heap of crap in Birmingham...
I hadn't looked that closely at the green one, to be honest.

Mea culpa; mea culpa; mea maxima culpa... You send the sackcloth and ashes; I'll wear 'em. :o

Dennis

Fair enough,, and thanks for the pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55BOF View Post

1996 Mercedes-Benz SL Class 5.0 SL500 2dr

You don't see any bumpers hanging off????????
That's the nearside wing that's rotten not the offside.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I have misinterpreted both of your recent purchase threads.
Maybe I should get you to buy my cars for me in future, evidently I can't see things for what they really are.........

Sorry, I guess that's not a "worthy contribution" to your thread either, is it?

Hmm , it may be the light or the photography , and I'm only viewing on my phone , but the wings look a different colour to the bonnet and bootlid in some of the pictures , and the SL 500 badge is on the wrong side of the bootlid .

Shouldn't a car with the later interior ( door cards and seats ) have a third brake light in the bootlid ?

I'm sorry, Peter; you've lost me. :dk: I like surreal as much as the next man (well, unless the next man is Salvador Dali...), but I don't see the link.
Link? Who said anything about a link?
It was just a little anecdote, to perhaps bring a little light relief into this cauldron of skuldugary, and fraud, that you now find yourself immersed in, so chin up old son, cast off the sackcloth,things can only go downhill from here.

PS. only kidding, hope things turn out the way you want. :thumb:

If it's stolen, it's not been reported to the police, and it's been for sale for the best part of a year. With 20/20 hindsight, I'd not have bought (60% of) it in the first place, but that's water under the bridge. Now that I AM (probably) stuck with the thing, I don't see an alternative to sorting it out, and mechanically, it needs very little - not even discs and pads, let alone a new hood. The car has been looked after until fairly recently, I suspect.

Thank you for the good wishes. More anon...

Yes I agree best plan now is to get it sorted. When you get the V5 check the chassis and engine numbers as a first step. I agree unlikely to be stolen - as long as the registration plate is the right one for the car. Maybe you have been able to check that already. The seller may just forget about the 40% he does not sound like he is well organized. It may look like the bargain of the year in 12 months time.

You don't see any bumpers hanging off?

FWIW, with that angle on the front bumper, it's highly likely the mounting point on the wing is totalled. The headlight adjuster has been nicely punched into the dash too.

Perilously close to being better off stripped for parts, methinks.

Ahhh, Carplace in B'ham, as reassuring as seeing a car advertised at Motorhub or BigMotoringWorld.

FWIW, with that angle on the front bumper, it's highly likely the mounting point on the wing is totalled. The headlight adjuster has been nicely punched into the dash too.

Perilously close to being better off stripped for parts, methinks.
I agree, especially at that mileage

AND the plot thins again... The seller says he has had the DVLA letter about my application for a registration document, so it looks as though he does have good title to the car, and he wants it back. :bannana::bannana::bannana: :D

He's offered to refund the deposit (£2000 - now it can be told), plus what I've spent on the car so far - engine loom, distributor caps and rotors, new battery. My response is: OK, put £2730 in my bank account, and come and collect the car. He probably thinks/hopes/expects I'll pay the repatriation costs, and I won't, but I'm willing to pay half as a gesture of goodwill, just to be shot of it. Anybody know how much it costs to have a car taken 200 miles?

Game on again soon, then. I definitely want an SL convertible. Would I be better to go for an early R230, I wonder? Any opinions?

Rule of thumb is £1 per mile of a round trip (so £400).

Result of sorts.

AND the plot thins again... The seller says he has had the DVLA letter about my application for a registration document, so it looks as though he does have good title to the car, and he wants it back. :bannana::bannana::bannana: :D

He's offered to refund the deposit (£2000 - now it can be told), plus what I've spent on the car so far - engine loom, distributor caps and rotors, new battery. My response is: OK, put £2730 in my bank account, and come and collect the car. He probably thinks/hopes/expects I'll pay the repatriation costs, and I won't, but I'm willing to pay half as a gesture of goodwill, just to be shot of it. Anybody know how much it costs to have a car taken 200 miles?

Game on again soon, then. I definitely want an SL convertible. Would I be better to go for an early R230, I wonder? Any opinions?

Dennis

Tell him to sod off (in a polite manner).
Your costs for getting up there cancel out his costs for collecting the car. That's before anything is mentioned about compensation from him for attempting some kind of fraud/scam.
So he brings you £2730 in cash that you pay in to ensure it isn't counterfeit, then you give him the keys. No bank transfers, no transport costs.
Done.

However, a touch of caution of course, bearing in mind you're at this point unable to get a v5 (which is registered keeper not legal owner, but to be fair, this situation is such that you can't prove you are the owner in law (as you have not paid the full amount, no proper receipt/invoice etc, no new keepers slip (I assume??).

Ask yourself this:-
Would the car be any worse than another one you buy next year for £4063 in a "proper" transaction????

If I were him, and the situation is as it is , I'd probably say something like give me £500, we'll call it quits and you can have the v5.

However....from what I recall from earlier posts, I think its far more likely the "real" reg'd keeper has him by the scruff of the neck - "wheres my car and why is someone applying for a logbook for it??????"

If you do agree a deal as above, meet him halfway, v5 for cash, not another empty promise.

If you move on, for God's sake, get someone else involved to ensure this doesn't happen for a third time (lemon/dodgy purchase).

All the best

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom