Brake callipers.. What's the deal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh.. Right.

May have to put that on hold for now.. As ive just bought the Kleemann 19's..

What about the porsche brembo calipers with my standard AMG discs? how much are we talking?

What are the thickness and diameter of rotor Porsche calliper was designed to work with?
What are the dimensions of your existing rotor?
If they are the same you only need a pair of brackets (£150-200).
If they are different however, you are likely facing a whole new bolted rotor at a price I quoted above. Double that for an axle.
It might be a little cheaper if you source around.
Shops to consider:
HiSpec Motorsport Ltd.
BG Developments - manufacturers and suppliers of competition and high performance braking systems for over 30 years

Having said that, I would rather go with flanaia1's advice and get a pair of brand new 6-pot AP Racing callipers (£350-450/ea), especially as you don't know what condition those Porsches are in. They have definitely been resprayed but who knows what underneath that paint. Plus, they might need new seal kit or even remanufacturing if pistons are corroded from the brake fluid (another few hundred quid)!

They're nice.. I'm not really that worried about the brand along as they are a brand name.. Those Brabus brakes look nice though..

Firstly are they better than the Current standard AMG brakes I have now?

How much will they go for? (£) roughly?

Hi Mobb

A couple of things you must check before you buy calipers from other models..

You must check the brake disc off set (height) to see if it fits your wheel hub without touching any components like shock absorber etc.

I'm pretty sure the brake discs on the ML/GL have a higher off set

Most Porsche brembo front calipers are RADIAL mounted so you need brackets to adapt from radial to axial mounting.

try this organisation mbt-Engineering , last time I spoke to the owner, he was developing off the shelve brackets to fit Mercedes with Big Brembo calipers ex Porsche.

you can also try MOVIT...Official Website MOV'IT® - brakes, brake systems, braking systems:

they have brake kit up grades for the W208

mazza

You are looking at about £3.5k for front and rear in either Brembo or Alcon Inc brackets. AP Racing about £1k cheaper @ around £2.5k

Mobb:As mazza say's ^ the ML ones will not be straight fit
Are you after the looks only or brake upgrade to?If only looks,C32 ones are nice

No, of course ML's won't straight fit the CLK. However, with disc being bolted, the bell of the disc will have to be machined to the CLK spec. These are about £200-ish each. Depending on the condition, rotor can be reused. After that it's just a matter of buying rotors and reusing bells (until they are worn out). Sorry if I've been unclear in my advice!

Yep, I'm after looks really.. How much are they C32 callipers?

It would appear from the EPC that the W208 CLK 55 AMG has floating calipers as described. Ironically the smaller engined CLK 430 may have had fixed 4 pot Brembos with a nicer finish. There is almost certainly a fixed caliper /disc in the MB parts bin that would fit but it would be best to fit new discs+calipers all round if uprating the front brakes to keep a good braking balance.:dk:
The later W209 CLK models are much easier with their "sport option" giving access to larger calipers and discs which are a straight swap.:thumb:

I'm not sure why anyone would want to fit Porsche parts on an MB :dk: Better to source some AMG calipers or have existing reconditioned or upgraded from one of the performance manufacturers :dk:

Mercedes Benz fitted Porsche Calipers to Mercedes Benz..

Mercedes Benz fitted Porsche Calipers to Mercedes Benz..

Wasn't aware Porsche made their own calipers normally 3rd party supply by Brembo or Alcon. Original use might have been for a Porsche model and used on an MB :dk:, thats also quite common in the rallying world on swap outs.

The CLK55 came with upgraded brakes specific to the AMG model, large vented discs and calipers. They're certainly not lacking perormance wise!

If they look discoloured, why not clean them up and repaint them? Seems a bit drastic to bin them just because they look dirty! :eek:

The CLK55 came with upgraded brakes specific to the AMG model, large vented discs and calipers. They're certainly not lacking perormance wise!

If they look discoloured, why not clean them up and repaint them? Seems a bit drastic to bin them just because they look dirty! :eek:

I agree 100%.
I would,nt even fit C32 brakes, unless someone could absolutly assure me that they were at least equivalant in performance to what was existing.
Its no use having brakes that look good if they are not any better maybe even worse than standard.
Spend your money on having yours tarted up.

Yep, I'm after looks really.. How much are they C32 callipers?

I think with brakes you should be concerned with if the car stops too methinks :rolleyes:

I will be fitting C32 brakes to my C180 (fronts only so far) but this is because the AMG brakes are 4 pot and my current front brakes are 2 pot. Mine are more than cosmetic.

I think with brakes you should be concerned with if the car stops too methinks :rolleyes:

Really!!!How come you're fitting C32 ones,did it not stop with the original brakes :p:p

Wasn't aware Porsche made their own calipers normally 3rd party supply by Brembo or Alcon. Original use might have been for a Porsche model and used on an MB :dk:, thats also quite common in the rallying world on swap outs.

Yep, agree.

I'd have thought any kind of braking system mod would be an insurance nightmare.

Assuming you declare it of course ...

Hi Will

wasn't the w208 55AMG and in fact some E55 AMG fitted with a fist type caliper with a single piston??

mazza

I'd have thought any kind of braking system mod would be an insurance nightmare.

Assuming you declare it of course ...

There are a few insurers who are geared up for it, but you pay for the privilege. Had to send off a couple of sides of A4 each year for the Type-Rs to list everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom