Brake discs and pads CLK W209

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Hi guys,
Quick question hope someone can help,
Been told front discs due a change, so looked on ECP as would rather supply
Own parts.
Had a look under performance section, found these Slotted Vented 300mm Pair | PerformanceRetailer

Are they better than OEM? As they are grooved look really good!

Can't seem to find OEM on ECP are they the ATE ones?
What pads would everyone recommend?
Cheers

Stay with OEM, buy from the dealership. Unless you intend track days..

So no point with grooved disks?

Surely the grooved discs I linked must be superior to OEM?

In my opinion grooved discs are superior to drilled discs, but drilled discs were supplied with the "sports" option. - So if that's what you are replacing check the size; I think they're larger than the standard fitment.

The Nissan has grooved discs all round, and I get better braking force (and less fade) than the OEM fitment... but the OEM parts are inadequate when you start making more power, and especially on the track.

I can't say I've noticed a problem with the stopping power of my CLK.

Hmm so regardless of cost as it's around £25 more per disc (not too bad I guess) should I just go for the grooved option?

As it will improve look of car as wel as it should be Better than OEM in terms of stopping power?

Go for what you feel best, Drilled discs work well on a street car but not for a track car due to heat build up and stress cracks.. stick to a manufacturer someone like Brembo or Tarox both supply race cars and race teams therefore less chance of warping. I have Brembo drilled on the front and MTEC Drilled on the rear and the braking is superb.. EBC Green Stuff is a favorite for many as a replacement pad, but come into their own when they heat up, but again if cost is a problem stick to the two manufacturers mentioned above.. there are many will argue drilled don't work, grooved is better and so on, hence my comment go with what you feel or want..as a mechanical engineer I did what I wanted as its my car and the braking is superb especially in the wet you can really feel the bite and better slow down as my car is an auto...

Any opinions on EBC grooved? Brembosdrilled are considerably cheaper

Is ATE the genuine Mercedes ones? Using ECP offer I can get a full set of ATE brakes and pads for £200

I'm also a cheapskate, so whilst I like the grooved discs I'd probably buy drilled Brembos if they are significantly cheaper; it's a reputable brand.

If I'd had problems stopping the car, then I'd pay extra for grooved discs.

The OE brakes will always stop the car perfectly well, if correctly maintained. Where there may be short comings is stopping repeatedly from high speed, as on a track.

Discs dissipate heat, pads provide friction and tyres the ultimate stopping performance.

Cheers guys, whitenemesis I understand you say OEMs are enough. But surely it's worth the extra £20 to get better brakes?

^ Your choice mate, I agree with you.. for the extra £20 notes, I'd say yes.. but if you want to keep it stock and maintain warranties and MB support then MB it has to be.. me? My car is a 10 year vehicle that's in good condition with no warranties, but its an auto (and I love it!) but I want better control in a shorter distance so if the numpty in front suddenly stops then I know I can too.. For the naysayers.. wait until you've drive a 2 ton Jeep Grand Cherokee then you'll know all about it.. as the weight of it just keeps forcing it along.. the performance on drilled discs is better than before as there is better feathering ability with a shorter stopping distance, and in an emergency well.. what can I say, see you in A& E as you peel your nose off the inside of the windscreen..

P.S NB Jeeps were notoriously bad brakers..

Cheers guys, whitenemesis I understand you say OEMs are enough. But surely it's worth the extra £20 to get better brakes?

As the tyres adhesion limit determines how much maximum brake force can be applied before locking up or the ABS kicking in, and assuming you can easily do this with standard brakes, how can £20 buy you better brakes?

Russ

Surely the grooved discs I linked must be superior to OEM?

Why would grooves or holes make the disc superior to OEM?

Better heat dissipation?

How?

If you remove material there is less thermal mass.

Ask yourself, how often have you had overheated brakes in normal driving? It just does not happen unless you regularly race from corner to corner applying the brakes as hard as possible (I am not suggesting you do!)

Brake cooling is mainly due to the ventilation slots and how airflow is channelled over the brakes, look at F1 brakes, they are not drilled, grooved or slotted, it is the material that helps with heat dissipation and the airflow over the brakes

As has been said, braking performance is limited by the friction of the interface of the tyre and road surface. Grooved or slotted discs etc can lead to increased pad wear and, in some cases, increased brake noise.

Unfortunately some people are swayed by how their brakes look rather than how they perform

MB provide drilled discs with the sports package on this model, so that may actually be the "standard" part rather than any upgrade.

Grooved discs don't get glazed by pads because they're always scrubbing them so yes they will go through the pads quicker. - On my other car it's not the tyres that are the weak point in the braking system, so the grooved discs genuinely help. I can't say that this is the case with a CLK, the size of the callipers suggests that it isn't.

Drilled discs used to be about pad degassing; the holes allowed it to escape through the disc... but realistically that's not really a problem with modern pad compounds.

Thanks guys for your help, will stick with OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom