C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Neighbour just got one, looks nice but he commented on the mpg. He claims that over 3k miles he has averaged 40 mpg.

Some real world numbers for you.......
Trip figures from this weekend which included Birmingham and back (m25,m40, m42) plus some A and B roads.
365 miles total, 10.10hrs drive time, 36mph average, 44.1mpg.
My commute which is short, though this is example which is painfully slow due to traffic.
18 miles total, 54mins, 20mph, 88.2mpg.
I have done the journey at 99.9mpg which is the highest the counter goes.
IMHO, this is the kind of daily journey that gets the most from this car.

I should have added...... Of the two journeys above
365 total, 108 miles on electric
18 total, 11 miles on electric.

Afternoon,

New to the group but have been following the 'anyone interested..' thread since I placed my order back in May. Mine was originally due for delivery October but has been pushed back to February 2016! This is a bit of a pain however seeing the cars arrive on here I have had a chance to change my specification a little, which isn't a bad thing.

Originally I ordered the standard car with no extras, added premium plus pack in August and today added 18" wheels and tinted windows. Paint color Palladium with grey leather.

It is my first Mercedes so hoping it will be good!

Right - I have canceled my order - time to walk away after 6 months of waiting after ordering with the prospect of another 4 months plus of waiting....... i cant wait any longer.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/197240-c350e-day-cancel-not-4.html

Was to be a new owner.... decided over the weekend that i am now going to cancel.

The car has been delayed now until a Jan build date plus delivery etc, so it will be Feb now i bet, and thats if its not delayed again!!

I ordered the car in March and was told at the start it would be Aug delivery, but then when the order to placed told 10th Sept. Then from that point its not pushed back month by month, now with a build week of 1st week of Jan plus delivery etc..

Car was on a 4year Lease, so BIK is a big factor, and basically MERC are now costing me money. ie - Yr 1 BIK v YR 4 BIK - the difference is £147.28 a month. So every month its late from lets say the Sept date is costing me extra on the end of the lease, so delivery in Feb means £736 extra for me to pay the tax man based on no further delays.

I have also spent some time at the weekend looking into all the options plus speaking to a contact i have who linked my up with a guy who works at dealer at Merc. General thoughts are that i would be hard pushed to get above 45mpg on a distance long run and a usable range of a very max of 15 miles.

The options now are to go for something different, shorter term and more boot space plus a new second car as well.

I think i have made the right choice and may regret it, but if i had ordered from a dealer i would of walked months/weeks ago i think.

Plus, the fact all the Merc Connect me services are disabled is just another negative.

I need to get rid of the E60 at some point, and the prospect of selling it at Xmas is going to be a hassle too !

Suppose I don't like the 350e as much as my XF !
Please reassure me that this is just a phase that those waiting for a 350e go through :)

350e - no contest. My 3.0l XF (my 11) used very old technology and was not in the same league as the C350e. The XF may look better than the C Class but that benefits others, but not you when you are in it.

Leaning forward to use the very slow touch screen - didn't Fred Flintstone have one of those ?

A sat nav that tried to constantly take me off by-passes to go through towns irrespective of any setting ?

Impossible to display speed cameras on the sat nav - see my posting on the other thread about doing this in Comand.

Relax - you will prefer the C350e to the Indian Jaguar !!

Mine will be here in approximately 12 hours, I am a little excited! Although I will be a little sad to see my trusty Volvo go.

Mine will be here in approximately 12 hours, I am a little excited! Although I will be a little sad to see my trusty Volvo go.

Good for you :thumb: I'd cover the edges of the number plates with a waterproof tape to stop water, car shampoo and rain penetrating through the sticky yellow layer and ruining it in a few month! It seems that recently the material that some places use to create the number plates are of poor quality as they peel off easily!
Don't forget to share photos :bannana:
Enjoy :thumb:

Fuel mileage

I have covered 900 miles with an average of 44mpg, this includes the odd blast as it is very quick when pushed. I do start with a full charge most days. Now the gear box has been fixed and the software updated it has started to re adapt the gear box and is becoming better by the mile. If you use the adaptive cruise with the rest of the driver assist package it is very relaxing to drive and makes the best it can with the regen. I have the prem plus and love all the features this gives you. The kick to open the boot is something I never thought I would use, now it is second nature. You do notice the weight when pressing on. The pre heating and cooling is superb. The cabin is top quality, I had an E class and this is very much better. The intelligent light system is another superb feature. The upgraded audio is also pretty good. The braking can take a bit of getting used to as it regens first and this can be a bit violent at low speeds until you get used to it it is getting better as it loosens up. Still only getting 14 miles on a charge.

I have covered 900 miles with an average of 44mpg, this includes the odd blast as it is very quick when pushed. I do start with a full charge most days. Now the gear box has been fixed and the software updated it has started to re adapt the gear box and is becoming better by the mile. If you use the adaptive cruise with the rest of the driver assist package it is very relaxing to drive and makes the best it can with the regen. I have the prem plus and love all the features this gives you. The kick to open the boot is something I never thought I would use, now it is second nature. You do notice the weight when pressing on. The pre heating and cooling is superb. The cabin is top quality, I had an E class and this is very much better. The intelligent light system is another superb feature. The upgraded audio is also pretty good. The braking can take a bit of getting used to as it regens first and this can be a bit violent at low speeds until you get used to it it is getting better as it loosens up. Still only getting 14 miles on a charge.
Is your car the estate version ?

The manual states that the battery doesn’t go lower than 20% and I wonder if the electric range we all expected is based on a very nearly complete discharge ?

think VW must have derived the official 134mpg !!!

I have covered 600 miles of mixed driving - average is the same as others have reported - 45mpg. In the first week I could cover 14 to 15 miles on pure EV but the last 2 days it has come down to 9 miles - if this remains I'll get the system checked.

Perhaps the mpg will improve as the engine beds in. I won't be to disappointed if it remains at 45mpg as my CLS 350CDI returned about the same on a run but the C350e is petrol and I think that diesels residuals will melt in the future when the government change the tax rules against the 'fuel of the devil'.

think VW must have derived the official 134mpg !!!

I have covered 600 miles of mixed driving - average is the same as others have reported - 45mpg. In the first week I could cover 14 to 15 miles on pure EV but the last 2 days it has come down to 9 miles - if this remains I'll get the system checked.

Perhaps the mpg will improve as the engine beds in. I won't be to disappointed if it remains at 45mpg as my CLS 350CDI returned about the same on a run but the C350e is petrol and I think that diesels residuals will melt in the future when the government change the tax rules against the 'fuel of the devil'.

Question - a lot of people are saying around the 45mpg range on a run, (also a contact of mine confirmed that was his opinion of the mpg in the real world at UK legal speeds).

Are all these reports of this figure, just one person up with a light load ?

Wonder the MPG when say boot fully loaded, 4 people and a roof box on a 500 mile trip?

Neighbour lives alone and is a little bit sad. So I assume it was just him driving.

Question - a lot of people are saying around the 45mpg range on a run, (also a contact of mine confirmed that was his opinion of the mpg in the real world at UK legal speeds).

Are all these reports of this figure, just one person up with a light load ?

Wonder the MPG when say boot fully loaded, 4 people and a roof box on a 500 mile trip?

I had similar thoughts. So another million dollar question is that if any owner had previously driven any Hybrid car- Plug in or standard?
I really wish to hear the story from a hardcore Hybrid driver. It's also interesting that no one has mentioned the Haptic Pedal feature!
Driving style, number of passengers and total weight obviously plays the major role in determining the mpg but those who had driven hybrids before might tell us a different narrative.

I had similar thoughts. So another million dollar question is that if any owner had previously driven any Hybrid car- Plug in or standard?
I really wish to hear the story from a hardcore Hybrid driver. It's also interesting that no one has mentioned the Haptic Pedal feature!
Driving style, number of passengers and total weight obviously plays the major role in determining the mpg but those who had driven hybrids before might tell us a different narrative.
I'm currently driving a Lexus CT200h (for the last 2.5 years) and an A4 Avant 3.0 TDI Quattro.

My Lexus has a book figure of 67mpg - my typical mpg is 46 - 50. Mixed roads and driving style - sometimes I put my foot down, sometimes I tootle along and see how high I can get the mpg to go!

Audi is a different story!! And this year I had better mpg towing a trailer down the M5 (40mpg av. with surfboard on the roof) than the previous year (32mpg, with 650 ltr roof box, no trailer).

I have a colleague who drives a Toyota Auris hybrid, so in essence same vehicle as me, and he has adapted his driving style significantly (always using the engine breaking option, plenty of coasting, gentle acceleration) and he gets high 50s/ low 60s mpg.

You definitely have to take a significantly defensive driving style to maximise hybrid mpg, and then also consider how to regenerate every last ounce of energy.

I'm currently driving a Lexus CT200h (for the last 2.5 years) and an A4 Avant 3.0 TDI Quattro.

My Lexus has a book figure of 67mpg - my typical mpg is 46 - 50. Mixed roads and driving style - sometimes I put my foot down, sometimes I tootle along and see how high I can get the mpg to go!

Audi is a different story!! And this year I had better mpg towing a trailer down the M5 (40mpg av. with surfboard on the roof) than the previous year (32mpg, with 650 ltr roof box, no trailer).

I have a colleague who drives a Toyota Auris hybrid, so in essence same vehicle as me, and he has adapted his driving style significantly (always using the engine breaking option, plenty of coasting, gentle acceleration) and he gets high 50s/ low 60s mpg.

You definitely have to take a significantly defensive driving style to maximise hybrid mpg, and then also consider how to regenerate every last ounce of energy.

Good to know :thumb: Thanks
I get 65mpg in my 5 years old Prius in summer time and 55mpg in winter. I use Brake Mode when needed but my main drive terrain is motorways.
It seems that most people here enjoy the power that the C350 delivers and this might explain the very low mpg figures. With days getting cooler and perhaps more use of various warming systems in the car, we might see even lower numbers floating around.
I am hoping that I would be able to achieve at least 65mpg with a bit of knowledge of hybrids and a pinch of patience otherwise it would be a mere joy of luxury, style and class ;)

My current car for the last 3 years is a Chevy Volt, I do a lot of short journeys for work (7miles each way) and can charge at work. It manages 30-35 in winter and 40-50 miles of range in the summer, going to be a shock to only have 14 miles of range! So far I have covered 25,000 miles and used 81 gallons, lifetime mpg of 308! Don't know the mpge...
By far the biggest influence I have found is external temperature as the car regulates the temperature of the battery as well as the heating and cooling of the cabin. I drive it like a normal car rather than try and maximise the range.
I ordered my company car estate C350e in May through a lease company and due delivery in January, prem plus, 360 and privacy glass in polar white.

Good to know :thumb: Thanks
I get 65mpg in my 5 years old Prius in summer time and 55mpg in winter. I use Brake Mode when needed but my main drive terrain is motorways.
It seems that most people here enjoy the power that the C350 delivers and this might explain the very low mpg figures. With days getting cooler and perhaps more use of various warming systems in the car, we might see even lower numbers floating around.
I am hoping that I would be able to achieve at least 65mpg with a bit of knowledge of hybrids and a pinch of patience otherwise it would be a mere joy of luxury, style and class ;)

I have attached an image from connect me which shows a number of key figures. Firstly the electric range, the car is 100% charged but as you will see only 13 miles available. The average mileage is 45mpg, this is using Eco mode and a feather light right foot. I try and coast whenever possible, allow the vehicle to use its regen braking and pip the throttle and ease back to trigger the electric motor whenever possible. Other than short journeys I cannot see how it is possible to get this figure up. I genuinely look forward to learning from other people's techniques.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom