C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We've not had a mpg post for a while.

How are folks getting on?

I've had my c350e for 3 weeks now and I've averaged 47.1mpg over 1,741 miles (including 2 runs from Yorkshire to London and Bedford and back). I'm pretty happy with that.

17ccb0677640e3a11037ddeb9528c6ae.jpg

Almost two years use with my journeys to work and back all electric - great highs and pretty severe lows (French motorway).

Pretty pleased overall…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17ccb0677640e3a11037ddeb9528c6ae.jpg

Almost two years use with my journeys to work and back all electric - great highs and pretty severe lows (French motorway).

Pretty pleased overall…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That looks good (in both senses). Is that an app you're using?

I can't plug mine in at the moment so I'm only getting around 27mpg. I've only done 500 miles; is it likely to change much?

I can't plug mine in at the moment so I'm only getting around 27mpg. I've only done 500 miles; is it likely to change much?
Ouch! How are you doing that? Are you going everywhere in Sport/Sport+ mode?
The more you can plug it in the better reported MPG you'll get. Only drive short distances on charge (no ICE) and you'll get 99.9 reported. I guess if you drive short distances and don't plug it in you'll get low mpg, but if you go on a e.g. 30mile run with no charge from start I'd still expect well into the 30s.

Ouch! How are you doing that? Are you going everywhere in Sport/Sport+ mode?
The more you can plug it in the better reported MPG you'll get. Only drive short distances on charge (no ICE) and you'll get 99.9 reported. I guess if you drive short distances and don't plug it in you'll get low mpg, but if you go on a e.g. 30mile run with no charge from start I'd still expect well into the 30s.
I've hardly been out of Plymouth since I got it. Plenty of hills and stop-start driving in town really drinks the fuel. :(

We've not had a mpg post for a while.

How are folks getting on?

I've had my c350e for 3 weeks now and I've averaged 47.1mpg over 1,741 miles (including 2 runs from Yorkshire to London and Bedford and back). I'm pretty happy with that.

I've just picked up my 65 plate c350e and I'm getting 32-37mpg and that's driving in Hybrid on Eco, and really treating the gas pedal gently and coasting once up to speed. I don't know why it's so low. The car came with brand new 'winter tyres' fitted - ContiWinterContact TS830P.

Is it better to use the pulse and glide with these cars?, i.e. getting up to speed asap and then coasting

Has anyone found their car's MPG dropped considerably when swapping summer for winter tyres? The car suits my current needs, and whilst it's smooth to drive, it does feel agricultural in terms of the EV/ICE switchover compared to my 2016 Prius. The steering feels a bit floaty compared to the Prius. Not sure if that's a side effect of the winter tyres or just because of AIRMATIC. I've had fast cars before, but the Merc really builds up speed on the motorway in such a linear and quiet fashion that you have to be very careful given the speed limits in the UK.

I've just picked up my 65 plate c350e and I'm getting 32-37mpg and that's driving in Hybrid on Eco, and really treating the gas pedal gently and coasting once up to speed. I don't know why it's so low. The car came with brand new 'winter tyres' fitted - ContiWinterContact TS830P.

Is it better to use the pulse and glide with these cars?, i.e. getting up to speed asap and then coasting

Has anyone found their car's MPG dropped considerably when swapping summer for winter tyres? The car suits my current needs, and whilst it's smooth to drive, it does feel agricultural in terms of the EV/ICE switchover compared to my 2016 Prius. The steering feels a bit floaty compared to the Prius. Not sure if that's a side effect of the winter tyres or just because of AIRMATIC. I've had fast cars before, but the Merc really builds up speed on the motorway in such a linear and quiet fashion that you have to be very careful given the speed limits in the UK.
What is your driving profile giving you that MPG? Are you charging it to 100%?
Today I drove 30 miles (15 miles from sea level to the top of the south downs and back) in Eco from 100% charge and managed around 58 MPG (plus electric costs) including the odd sporty overtake in Sport mode and mostly on fast (60) country roads and through a small town.
I doubt the tyres would make that much difference.
I'm guessing you aren't charging it?

What is your driving profile giving you that MPG? Are you charging it to 100%?
Today I drove 30 miles (15 miles from sea level to the top of the south downs and back) in Eco from 100% charge and managed around 58 MPG (plus electric costs) including the odd sporty overtake in Sport mode and mostly on fast (60) country roads and through a small town.
I doubt the tyres would make that much difference.
I'm guessing you aren't charging it?

Not charging it at the moment. I've got issues with getting a home charger, so will be using a public charging point that is near my home, probably once a day. Although today after the engine was warmed up from a long motorway drive, I popped into the house for 15 minutes, then drove 1.5 miles down the road to Sainsburys in Hybrid mode, and it reported 62 mpg!

56mpg over the last 1000 miles. Not many long journeys, but even those deliver 40mpg or more. Charging at home most nights.

Unsurprisingly the key to high reported MPG is lots of short journeys with minimal ICE usage.
If you don't plug it in then it's just a 2 ton petrol car and as such you're going to struggle to get good reported MPG. The hybrid bit will help a bit, but it can't magic miles out of nothing.
In my experience if you start from 100% charge you'll get maybe 8+ miles at 99.9 mpg and once the ICE kicks in it starts dropping - the further you go the more it drops, but then if you're going far you're likely to be on a motorway so get half decent MPG from that, so I'd still hope for low 40s MPG.
Rely solely on ICE for short journeys and you're below 40.
Motorway miles will see it charge to 25% and you can then drive a couple of miles at maybe 30mph on electric taking it down to maybe 12% which will boost the MPG (especially, if you select E-mode).

I px’d my 65 plate C350e with Conti Winter tyres on recently - don’t suppose your reg begins AY does it ?

I px’d my 65 plate C350e with Conti Winter tyres on recently - don’t suppose your reg begins AY does it ?

Yes! I purchased it because it had been looked after by the previous owner. The rear seats look like they've never been used!

I think I've figured out why my MPG is so low. The tyre pressures are about 5 psi lower than they should be. I would have thought a MB dealer would set the correct pressures prior to handover!

I've hardly been out of Plymouth since I got it. Plenty of hills and stop-start driving in town really drinks the fuel. :(
I went for a round trip of about 130 miles yesterday and got around 34mpg That was mostly dual carriage way at 70ish just letting the cruise control do its thing and some on smaller roads including one quiet bit in sport mode for a bit of fun.

It's not too different from what I would have got from my old diesel. mpg was not a priority for me when choosing this car as long as it wasn't any worse than I'm used to. It will definitely be a bonus when I can plug it in regularly.

I'm quite surprised by just how different it is in sport mode. It's one of the things I really liked when I took the c class on a test drive. Overall it was a really nice drive yesterday.

I'd go along with that, if I start from no charge I get comparable to my old C350 CDI on a decent run. Maybe low 40s in my case - probably not as many hills here though.
Try Sport+ probably best described as unnecessarily brutal.

One thing I find a bit odd is that in Eco mode you have 'automatic' braking, i.e. the car will gradually apply 'brakes' for you which can be quite nice in stop start traffic, but this doesn't appear to work in other modes (well, maybe emergency braking works, but I'm not sure I want to rely on that). Seems like one of those things which should be an option in other modes too.

That looks good (in both senses). Is that an app you're using?

Sorry - had issues with Tapatalk app so couldn’t access my messages! Yes it’s an app;

Road Trip MPG by Darren Stonehttps://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/road-trip-mpg/id298398207?mt=8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes! I purchased it because it had been looked after by the previous owner. The rear seats look like they've never been used!

I think I've figured out why my MPG is so low. The tyre pressures are about 5 psi lower than they should be. I would have thought a MB dealer would set the correct pressures prior to handover!
Raspy. I had it from new and I think the rear seats were used about 5 times. I px’d it against a new E350e from MB Ipswich on the 1st March - I bought the C350e from them. They tried a couple of times to upgrade the outside temperature function but failed - has it been done ? I have a set of summer tyres in storage at a tyre place in Colchester - you can have them if you arrange collection. As you know, the summer & winter tyres have only done 30k between them. The car never let me down and didn’t need to have any work done on it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did

Raspy. I had it from new and I think the rear seats were used about 5 times. I px’d it against a new E350e from MB Ipswich on the 1st March - I bought the C350e from them. They tried a couple of times to upgrade the outside temperature function but failed - has it been done ? I have a set of summer tyres in storage at a tyre place in Colchester - you can have them if you arrange collection. As you know, the summer & winter tyres have only done 30k between them. The car never let me down and didn’t need to have any work done on it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did

I bought a Lexus GS300 many years ago from a lady on an owner's forum, and she also had kept the car in immaculate condition.

The software update for the external temp was one of the items they agreed to do as part of the deal (Thanks to this forum I was able to know that it could be done) - Sadly, they applied a completely different software update by mistake and I have to do another 150 mile round trip sometime when they can apply the correct software update! Short, answer, not done yet.

Now plugged in at home using 3 pin socket. I've already done a charge in the morning and love not having to use any petrol on short trips. One of my reasons for choosing a plug in hybrid is to make a personal difference to air quality, as high air pollution is not good for people's health.

@wivenhoe - That's such a generous offer. This forum is brilliant! I will contact you in due course to arrange something.

I feel the pain, mine snapped of also, it is clearly not designed for daily use, whereas most people only fuel monthly it needs to be more than plastic and not part of the whole bumper. From my experience you have three options; 1) go to MB World and be charged £800+ to replace the entire bumper, 2) buy extra strong glue £20 it will only last about a month or go to MB in Tonbridge who reglued mine free of charge as part of a service but that will only last 6 months.
Unsurprisingly the key to high reported MPG is lots of short journeys with minimal ICE usage.
If you don't plug it in then it's just a 2 ton petrol car and as such you're going to struggle to get good reported MPG. The hybrid bit will help a bit, but it can't magic miles out of nothing.
In my experience if you start from 100% charge you'll get maybe 8+ miles at 99.9 mpg and once the ICE kicks in it starts dropping - the further you go the more it drops, but then if you're going far you're likely to be on a motorway so get half decent MPG from that, so I'd still hope for low 40s MPG.
Rely solely on ICE for short journeys and you're below 40.
Motorway miles will see it charge to 25% and you can then drive a couple of miles at maybe 30mph on electric taking it down to maybe 12% which will boost the MPG (especially, if you select E-mode).
You’re absolutely spot on with your comments. I couldn’t agree more. MPG will be so significantly affected by your daily mileage that comparisons are difficult.
I’ve done over 6,000 miles in my first 2 months, with a complete mix of driving including charging (at free charge points) where and when I find them. I’m averaging 47mpg, with most of my driving in Eco mode. About 40-45% of the mileage has been in EV mode.

Today was a sad day. I no longer own a C350e. I had two years of very pleasant driving in my first Merc with a really nice car.
Unfortunately, the plug-in hybrid is totally incompatible with living in Camden and having no off-street parking, nor an ability to charge at work.
She was beautiful and I hope someone else gets to use her in a more electric fashion than I ever did.
Now it’s back to open top motoring with petrol only. I have lurked here since the very beginning and learnt so much about what you all do with your c350es.
If someone picks up the old girl -HK16*** then do please let me know.

I'd go along with that, if I start from no charge I get comparable to my old C350 CDI on a decent run. Maybe low 40s in my case - probably not as many hills here though.
Try Sport+ probably best described as unnecessarily brutal.

One thing I find a bit odd is that in Eco mode you have 'automatic' braking, i.e. the car will gradually apply 'brakes' for you which can be quite nice in stop start traffic, but this doesn't appear to work in other modes (well, maybe emergency braking works, but I'm not sure I want to rely on that). Seems like one of those things which should be an option in other modes too.

My experience of regenerative braking has been a bit different to yours. I don’t use sport or sport+ much, and when I do I can’t say I’m watching all the dials. I have played around with eco and comfort a lot and this is my summary:
1. I don’t get any regenerative braking in eco unless the battery level is below about 25%
2. I get regeneration from comfort from almost the start (as soon as there’s any unused capacity in the battery)
3. I think I get aggressive regeneration in sport and sport+, and it’s quick to use electric power and ICE power at the same time, unlike the other modes

I wonder if we have different settings? Mine’s two years old in a few weeks and hasn’t had any updates that I’m aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience of regenerative braking has been a bit different to yours. I don’t use sport or sport+ much, and when I do I can’t say I’m watching all the dials. I have played around with eco and comfort a lot and this is my summary:
1. I don’t get any regenerative braking in eco unless the battery level is below about 25%
2. I get regeneration from comfort from almost the start (as soon as there’s any unused capacity in the battery)
3. I think I get aggressive regeneration in sport and sport+, and it’s quick to use electric power and ICE power at the same time, unlike the other modes

I wonder if we have different settings? Mine’s two years old in a few weeks and hasn’t had any updates that I’m aware of.

Are we talking cross purposes?
In the text of mine you've quoted I was talking about 'automatic' braking - not regenerative braking.
In Eco, if I'm following a vehicle which slows and I don't brake, the car brakes gently for me (unless I override it by pressing on the pedal), but yes, this is normally regenerative braking too. I don't get the gentle 'automatic' braking in other modes that I'm aware of. Hopefully I do get the emergency braking in all modes though! (I still say that's too sensitive - car in front filters left to turn left and as I get close to passing it the bloomin thing starts whining at me even though I'm not going to hit it unless it swerves back in front of me.)

By contrast, as far as I'm aware I get regenerative braking (i.e. the charge light comes on) in all modes all the time when I brake - I'd need to check. I don't think I've ever been at 100% and braked though! Maybe while reversing out of the drive, but I'm obviously not watching the charge light at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom