C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That was me, shout if you need a copy of the MB reply to the Motoring Ombudsman that I got back. It does indeed confirm that battery, power electronics and electric machine (motor) are covered for 6 years/62,000 miles.
Just looking at maybe changing my E350e for a 530e - Merc don’t seem too interested in doing a reasonable deal this time. In researching the 530e I came across BMW’s battery warranty - interestingly they cover loss below 70% in 6 years or 60k - Merc don’t cover that
The BMW PHEV Warranty includes a BMW PHEV Battery Warranty against failures of the high voltage battery as a result of manufacturing defects. In addition to the BMW PHEV Three Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty, the high voltage battery is warranted for up to six years from the date of first registration, or up to 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The capacity of a lithium-ion high voltage battery naturally decreases over the period of use due to inherent technical reasons (natural wear and tear).

Should a capacity check at a BMW Service Authorised Workshop within the warranty period mentioned above show that the net battery capacity has dropped below 70% of its original value at delivery of the new BMW PHEV, the portion below 70% will be regarded as excessive capacity loss. This excessive capacity loss will be repaired free of charge under the terms of the BMW PHEV Battery Warranty.

Hi all, newbie to the c class and in particular to the c350e (w205). Looking to get my c350e later this week, its a s/h 2016 from an ind dealer.. Really looking forward to getting it but unfortunately not looking forward to its smakl screen or limited sat nav. Im living in South Ireland where Garmin maps are pretty useless so rely on Google maps as much more accurate.. My question is can the comand and screen be updated/graded on the c350e?? I know on the non hybrid w205 it can be done but will the upgrade effect the hybrid interface or functionality?? This may be a silly question but would be interested to hear from others...
Even if i could just get a bigger screen and android-auto (mainly just for maps) it wout be great..
Cheers
Gary

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi all

Was wondering.. Have a c350e premium plus with the black piano plastic centre console, I'd like to change it to the black ash wood with the small clock on the middle, has anyone had this done or know how about getting it done?

I asked a dealer here in Ireland and they didn't want to know
Hi Eamon.. I know this is an old post but was Just wondering if you ever replaced the centre console with the unit with clock , i would also like to do this..also about the wrap.. Aliexpres..has them for about 50 bucks but im sure you have seen this already.. [emoji16]
Cheers Gary

I looked into screen upgrades for the very same reason. However looking at how much is involved in doing it on the standard C Class I decided it was too much hassle in the end.
I'd be very interested to hear if you do end up doing it though.

I looked into screen upgrades for the very same reason. However looking at how much is involved in doing it on the standard C Class I decided it was too much hassle in the end.
I'd be very interested to hear if you do end up doing it though.
Will keep you informed.. I did it on my e200 and put an android system into it which worked well.. Im a computer/network and apple tech so am used to pulling things apart into a 1000 pieces and putting them back together again (maybe minus a few screws[emoji2957]) so up for the challenge but no point doing it if its going to affect the functionality of the hybrid system interface [emoji848]...

Just looking at maybe changing my E350e for a 530e - Merc don’t seem too interested in doing a reasonable deal this time. In researching the 530e I came across BMW’s battery warranty - interestingly they cover loss below 70% in 6 years or 60k - Merc don’t cover that
The BMW PHEV Warranty includes a BMW PHEV Battery Warranty against failures of the high voltage battery as a result of manufacturing defects. In addition to the BMW PHEV Three Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty, the high voltage battery is warranted for up to six years from the date of first registration, or up to 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The capacity of a lithium-ion high voltage battery naturally decreases over the period of use due to inherent technical reasons (natural wear and tear).

Should a capacity check at a BMW Service Authorised Workshop within the warranty period mentioned above show that the net battery capacity has dropped below 70% of its original value at delivery of the new BMW PHEV, the portion below 70% will be regarded as excessive capacity loss. This excessive capacity loss will be repaired free of charge under the terms of the BMW PHEV Battery Warranty.

Now that is how you persuade people to take up new technology - give them some comfort that they'll be OK if something does go wrong. The vast amount of data about these batteries seems to suggest they will, on the whole, be fine long past the warranty limit, but that's lithium ion batteries in general in cars, not specifically MBs implementation. On the face of it, they are doing all the right things with good active temperature control and charge management, but I'd be happier with the BMW style warranty given I plan on keeping this thing a long time. Right from the start, the main thing is that we do so few miles so I'm hoping(!) that will push any issues way down the line. Yeah, I know, naive.

Given how big MB appear to have dived into the whole battery tech thing, what with their home energy stuff as well as cars, you'd think they'd be more pro-active about reassuring people they won't get left high and dry.

Good luck the the 530e - keep us posted.

I’ve been having a real go at their support guys ([email protected]) for months. I find the service very unreliable.

I've looked into this more.... it looks like the key reason it fails is that even though I purchased "vehicle setup" which included charging setting and range etc... that mercedes have now rejigged the packages and that now longer exists. Now there's something else and I no longer have the "battery range" and "charging stations" as part of my package. I'm speculating, but it appears that because these are missing (which i previously had) my off peak charging functionality no longer works.

I bought a Tesla Model 3 to replace my C350e. Got it in June this year. Returned it back to Tesla for a full refund. Model 3 is an impressive EV, but I find my 4 year old C350e rides better, is far more luxurious and is a more comfortable car and more practical in urban traffic.

The Model 3 super quick steering (2 turns lock to lock) which is great for point and squirt driving, but it feels way more twitchy than the C350e, which is much more relaxing to waft around in. Controlling virtually all of the car's functions including aspects of windscreen wipers via the touchscreen in the 3 makes for distracted driving. Being able to go from Eco to Sport+ in the C350 by flicking the wheel on the centre console is less dangerous than having to take your eyes off the road to navigate the menus on a touchscreen to find the menu that allows you to change the steering or acceleration settings.

C350e went into MB dealer last week for 3 recalls! Looks like front brake pads are 20% worn and rear brake pads are 50% worn. So original brake pads and discs should last 80-100k. Car is on 42k now.

I bought a Tesla Model 3 to replace my C350e. Got it in June this year. Returned it back to Tesla for a full refund. Model 3 is an impressive EV, but I find my 4 year old C350e rides better, is far more luxurious and is a more comfortable car and more practical in urban traffic.

The Model 3 super quick steering (2 turns lock to lock) which is great for point and squirt driving, but it feels way more twitchy than the C350e, which is much more relaxing to waft around in. Controlling virtually all of the car's functions including aspects of windscreen wipers via the touchscreen in the 3 makes for distracted driving. Being able to go from Eco to Sport+ in the C350 by flicking the wheel on the centre console is less dangerous than having to take your eyes off the road to navigate the menus on a touchscreen to find the menu that allows you to change the steering or acceleration settings.

C350e went into MB dealer last week for 3 recalls! Looks like front brake pads are 20% worn and rear brake pads are 50% worn. So original brake pads and discs should last 80-100k. Car is on 42k now.

I like my 350e but seriously, going from eco to sport+ in my c350e compared to pushing the throttle in the model3 is like comparing a tortoise to a hare. Otherwise agree with the other sentiments about the ride, but the exhilaration of driving the model3 is amazing.

I like my 350e but seriously, going from eco to sport+ in my c350e compared to pushing the throttle in the model3 is like comparing a tortoise to a hare. Otherwise agree with the other sentiments about the ride, but the exhilaration of driving the model3 is amazing.

@a4refillpad I wasn't comparing the acceleration. I was talking with reference to the ergonomics of the controls.

There’s a very good chance I’ll have a Model 3 next June. Good point about the suspension - it’s fabulous in the Merc. Hadn’t thought about the steering sensitivity, but I have a test drive coming up at the end of the month. Strangely, the Model 3 doesn’t have regenerative brakes, so I’ll need to get used to running a high level of regen on twisty roads. Looking forward to not having to concentrate so much on braking smoothly though - I still mess it up in the Merc if I haven’t driven it much.

Seems I'll have the same conundrum next year keep the C350e or get a model 3. I don't particularly like the wallowing in the comfort setting of the C350e, preferring the firmer Sport suspension which I have set in my Individual mode. It's also useful to be able to increase the ride height of the 'e' on the odd occasion. Think the off the line performance of the 3 might just convince me to change mind! Though money outlay has to be a consideration as well.

I seriously considered the Tesla but in the end because of the reviews (particularly your point) and long term considerations, discounted it so now in serious discussions about a new 530e - I really like my E350e but I can’t get the spec I want and the dealers are saying next March delivery. I ordered mine in May 17 and it turned up in Mar 18 so are not going through that again - I have checked with 3 BMW dealers and they all said maximum 10 weeks.
I am having a demo for a few days so it’ll be interesting to compare, particularly the ride as the Beemer doesn’t have airmatic but I am assured I won’t notice the difference !

Well after 3.5 years and 60k miles I said goodbye to my 350e this morning. Not sure what I’m going to replace it with yet so will run my MX5 for a while and use the wife’s Superb as our family car.

Have to say that overall I was really pleased with the Merc, loved the performance, torque and ability to run in ‘stealth’ mode. On the downside, it was small inside and the kids hated it, plus the fuel tank was too small.

Would I have another PHEV/EV, yep I think I would, but maybe leave a year or two for the technology and infrastructure to improve.

Well after 3.5 years and 60k miles I said goodbye to my 350e this morning. Not sure what I’m going to replace it with yet so will run my MX5 for a while and use the wife’s Superb as our family car.

Have to say that overall I was really pleased with the Merc, loved the performance, torque and ability to run in ‘stealth’ mode. On the downside, it was small inside and the kids hated it, plus the fuel tank was too small.

Would I have another PHEV/EV, yep I think I would, but maybe leave a year or two for the technology and infrastructure to improve.

It’ll be interesting to see if hybrid technology does improve. The government wants 50+ mile emission-free range. For me, that means a hybrid can only be an EV with a range extender, but I’m not sure anyone is going to make them. So does it look like more of the same, or full electric?

The touch screen "dashboard" of the Tesla would put me off too. I've just had a Peugeot hire car which was fine, except for the use of a touchscreen for the HVAC. This meant if you were using the satnav or listening to the radio, you had to push a small icon to enter the HVAC screen, then more icons to adjust the temp. I had it over two weeks and never got used to it. Touchscreens are fine for minute stereo settings or ambient lighting, and all those other things you adjust once when you get the car, but for things you need on the move - HVAC, lights, wipers, it's just not a good idea.

The touch screen "dashboard" of the Tesla would put me off too. I've just had a Peugeot hire car which was fine, except for the use of a touchscreen for the HVAC. This meant if you were using the satnav or listening to the radio, you had to push a small icon to enter the HVAC screen, then more icons to adjust the temp. I had it over two weeks and never got used to it. Touchscreens are fine for minute stereo settings or ambient lighting, and all those other things you adjust once when you get the car, but for things you need on the move - HVAC, lights, wipers, it's just not a good idea.

Voice activation? Only if it’s better than the satnav on the Merc, I suppose. I’m just off to say something to it for a laugh. Can’t resist.

VW showing a lot of adverts on TV for their electric range... Have to say they do look pretty [emoji2957]

It’ll be interesting to see if hybrid technology does improve. The government wants 50+ mile emission-free range. For me, that means a hybrid can only be an EV with a range extender, but I’m not sure anyone is going to make them. So does it look like more of the same, or full electric?
They are getting there. I couldn’t get a new E350e before next March so looked at the BMW 530e - they have just updated the battery and the EV’s range (under the new regime) is 41 miles and real world users are reporting it achieving close to that if you drive like a vicar. The emissions are much lower too. So I will be saying goodbye to Merc in October after previously buying 6 new ones - they have ruined the options by basically only offering packs and very limited colours so you end up paying for things you don’t want to get what you do want. That with 7+ months wait makes them very unattractive. I got 15% off the Beemer which isn’t bad for a reasonably sought after car.

Hi All,
So got my brill 2016 c350e this morning..[emoji9][emoji9][emoji9].. What a nice drive.. Great power from the petrol engine and the hybrid does it thing.. Very happy some pics below with more to follow...

Ok so some minor things... I purchased from Charles Hurst (ireland) so not a main dealer, anyway they serviced it yesterday pending my collection but this morning it showed service A, i did what most would do and looked up how to reset it. This went ok but now it shows service B, which wont confirm.. [emoji22]. Not sure what to do now as i know that if i bring it to main dealer they will want 200 bucks to reset it but i know Charles Hurst dont have a clue as i knew more than they did..???
Any suggestions or maybe someone had similar ploblem..
Cheers
Gary
aaf72a7c50793942efa52f693d0a55ae.jpg
89bf864de2c2da387a3172ad62eddf80.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom