C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I took my car on the motorway and set the cruise control to 68mph. I noticed my fuel gauge started to drop very fast. When I checked the computer, it showed 38mpg. I was completely shocked by this because I used to get 50mpg on the motorway when I had my bmw 320i sport.

The car was driven in comfort.

I’m really surprised by how bad the economy is on the c350e. I’ve only had the car for two months and I’m starting to regret buying it.

What is ICE? I’ve seen this term used a lot on this forum but don’t know what it is.

Does the car heat the mirrors? It took awhile to heat up the the windscreen but nothing was happening for the mirrors.

Hi Chris S, I’m not sure because there’s different charging setting on the car. I saw 8 and 16 but didn’t understand it.

when charging at home, I press the black button and four green bars shows.

I took my car on the motorway and set the cruise control to 68mph. I noticed my fuel gauge started to drop very fast. When I checked the computer, it showed 38mpg. I was completely shocked by this because I used to get 50mpg on the motorway when I had my bmw 320i sport.

I’m really surprised by how bad the economy is on the c350e. I’ve only had the car for two months and I’m starting to regret buying it.

What is ICE? I’ve seen this term used a lot on this forum but don’t know what it is.

What was the battery state of charge when you set the cruise control me when you measured the fuel economy?

The car will charge the battery in some circumstances, which has a significant impact on fuel economy.

You should expect 40-45mpg without any change in battery state of charge at 70-ish mph.

Remember that on short journeys, you will have infinite mpg.

Hi Chris S, I’m not sure because there’s different charging setting on the car. I saw 8 and 16 but didn’t understand it.

when charging at home, I press the black button and four green bars shows.

The car can charge at several different rates. The in-car settings are 8A, 10A, 13A and 16A - 16A only available from a dedicated car charging point.

I use 16A in the winter, because it can handle pre-entry climate control without losing charge.

I use 8A in the summer when my solar panels can charge the car in the afternoon.

The overall economy will depend on usage and charging. I've had my car three years now and the overall mpg is better than the 320ed I had before. However that car could do 70mpg on a motorway cruise and the C350e never will. But round town the C350e is more economical than the 320ed, and because I do more urban driving than motorway driving it averages back in favour of the C350e - not to mention it is faster, quieter and not pumping out diesel germs. But if the bulk of my mileage was bombing up and down the motorway I would be much better off with a 320ed again.

ICE in the context of hybrid cars is Internal Combustion Engine.

Next time you are out try and be really gentle on the throttle. Try and drive as much as you can without engaging the ICE. Even in E-SAVE you can still trundle along in traffic on electric only. Unfortunately with the cold weather coming it's the worst time to be trying to maximise your hybrid driving style but it's worth persevering with.

I use 16A in the winter, because it can handle pre-entry climate control without losing charge.

I use 8A in the summer when my solar panels can charge the car in the afternoon.

I'm on a three pin plug and stick to 8A to reduce the risk of catastrophic fires and explosions. :D

I'm on a three pin plug and stick to 8A to reduce the risk of catastrophic fires and explosions. :D

Very wise!

You might remember that my original three pin plug charger crumbled into dust a couple of years ago.

The one that replaced it was more sturdy and has a range of current settings including 6A, which was handy when we went camping.

My car has gone for its MOT, B6 service and all sorts of recalls today. I think the recalls were mainly involved with routing wiring harnesses. I put my winter wheels on earlier this week as the front tyres were getting a bit thin and I didn't want the MOT man getting stroppy. As the weather had dropped colder and the front tyres were low on tread it was really noticeable how bad the crabbing had become. I had already put the new Goodyear Asymmetric5 on the rear and will put the same on the front when the summer wheels go back on.
To extend the warranty another year is £43 per month, or £449 for the year and various MercedesMe services will stop shortly too if I don't extend them again...

Failed it's MOT on both front spring link arms - play in ball joints. It was clonking over bumps so that's gone now. The bad news was they were going to be £900(!). The good news is the extended warranty covered them which I was very chuffed about as they could have hidden behind "wear and tear". :)

Is it good to drive on sports plus? I’m driving using comfort and only getting 35mpg. Town I’m getting 15-22mpg.

I’m not driving fast at all.

mom pretty disappointed with the fuel consumption

QUOTE="CROSS1880, post: 2445600, member: 129755"]
73b4f07820acaf812fc35d9f0d02a3c7.jpg
over the last couple of days mixture of hybrid sport + and emode [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sports Plus is the fastest mode with very abrupt gear changes. It will use the battery and the engine at full power so will be the least economical.

With regard to your figures, are you charging the battery at all? Are your tyres pumped up - they are quite high pressures, check the sticker on the fuel cap. Climate control on Auto?

44dd7b91e5ed00a40753c579170a4c74.jpg

Mostly short journeys, obviously.

Again, mostly short trips although there are a few 100mile plus round trips in there too. Mpg on those is typically high 40s or better.

16BCCD7E-589E-4C65-A219-DE0D9B709D04.png

Looking good for 1000 miles out of this tank of fuel.

Sport and Sport+ don’t shut down the ICE at all, even when stopped, so that will certainly hurt economy. I ran ours in Sport for the first 1000 miles or so just to get some actual miles on the ICE while it was brand new. Rarely use it these days.

I’d have to drive mine like an utter loon to get down to 20 odd mpg, so I suspect there is something fundamentally wrong with yours @Sraj

or, of course, you are just driving like an utter loon ;)

I actually drive like a pensioner to try and maximise economy. What could be the problem with my car?

I’ve never used sports before, only eco, comfort and paddle shift.

Mercedes charge £202.80 for a diagnostic test. I’ve been to Loughton and Stratford; both of which offered terrible service and didn’t care at all.

Once you have charged your car, what do you do? Do you drive on hybrid or e mode? I drive on hybrid and the battery drains extremely fast.

Really don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

I bought the car in August 2019. It’s a 16 plate with 61777. Now it’s 63735
QUOTE="Chris-S, post: 2820750, member: 126969"]Sport and Sport+ don’t shut down the ICE at all, even when stopped, so that will certainly hurt economy. I ran ours in Sport for the first 1000 miles or so just to get some actual miles on the ICE while it was brand new. Rarely use it these days.

I’d have to drive mine like an utter loon to get down to 20 odd mpg, so I suspect there is something fundamentally wrong with yours @Sraj

or, of course, you are just driving like an utter loon ;)[/QUOTE]

I use the heating on 3/4 bars at 23 degrees. When my windscreen is steamed up I use mac without a/c and it takes ages to clear up.

I charge the battery once a week and save it when I go town driving. My battery would show 11 miles but it’s completely empties when I do a 3 mile trip. It’s really bad.

when I do town driving without electric I get 15-22mpg. This is on comfort mode.

another thing I’ve been trying to do is drive fast to get to 30 and then my foot off and try to drive on electric. The problem is the speed drops and drivers behind me overtake me.
Sports Plus is the fastest mode with very abrupt gear changes. It will use the battery and the engine at full power so will be the least economical.

With regard to your figures, are you charging the battery at all? Are your tyres pumped up - they are quite high pressures, check the sticker on the fuel cap. Climate control on Auto?
Failed it's MOT on both front spring link arms - play in ball joints. It was clonking over bumps so that's gone now. The bad news was they were going to be £900(!). The good news is the extended warranty covered them which I was very chuffed about as they could have hidden behind "wear and tear". :)

Drive in comfort, hybrid mode, most of the time. If I’m near the end of a short trip and it looks like the battery is getting low, I’ll switch to E mode to try and complete the journey without firing up the ICE for the last few hundred yards.

This time of year, electric range is pretty laughable really. Lucky to get 8 miles on a full charge. When it calls for it, I run the heating at 22, usually fan speed 2 and if it’s steamed up, a burst of AC to clear it quickly.

Did you ever try and work out how much energy you are putting into the battery on a charge? That’ll help figure out if it’s a fault or a feature!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom