C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Absolutely. It’s incredibly sensitive to style of driving and type of journey.

the car counts all mileage with engine not running as electric mileage. If you subtract electric mileage from total mileage on a tank and divide by the fuel you refueled with, you get a scary figure, in my case, of 25 to 30mpg. I tend to do at least half of my miles on electric.

Which makes perfect sense if you think about it, depending a lot on journey profile and how you drive, we are probably ending up operating the ICE at it’s worst a lot of the time (cold engine and/or high power demand), although those numbers probably aren't that bad for a 2l turbo lugging a heavy car about.

the car counts all mileage with engine not running as electric mileage. If you subtract electric mileage from total mileage on a tank and divide by the fuel you refueled with, you get a scary figure, in my case, of 25 to 30mpg. I tend to do at least half of my miles on electric.

The trouble with this method is that it includes coasting as electric mileage.

But it’s worse than that - even on a motorway, the battery could occasionally charge (if you’re in e-save), then on a downhill stretch or in slow traffic it’ll switch to battery power, using the energy that caused a reduction in fuel economy when the battery was charging.

I can do a 50 mile journey using the whole battery (which has roughly 10 miles of range) and the trip computer says I did 50mpg, then I actually did about 40mpg. The trip computer might also say I did 40% or more electric miles, which makes the battery performance seem better than it is and the engine economy seem much worse.

Hi Eamon.. I know this is an old post but was Just wondering if you ever replaced the centre console with the unit with clock , i would also like to do this..also about the wrap.. Aliexpres..has them for about 50 bucks but im sure you have seen this already.. [emoji16]
Cheers Gary

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Hi, sorry I didn't notice this until now.

No I never did anything with this as a few mechanics told me it would cost alot if money, did you look into this?

Did you make any other mods to your car?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi guy, I’ve just joined this site and would really appreciate your help.

I recently purchased a c350e 16 plate. The mileage was 61777. I’ve only had the car for 2 months and noticed that it’s not very economical.

I charged the battery using a home charger and got 15 miles range on full charge. I did a local drive which was probably 3 miles and the range showed 2 miles, even though it was originally 15.

Im not a fast driver at all and tend to stick with the limit. Is this normal for this to happen?

I drove the car on charge once and that killed off my fuel. 22 mpg when driving on the motorway at 70mph using charge.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong because other posts have stated getting 99.9mpg.

My previous car was a bmw 320i sport and was getting better mpg.

I fill up the car every week with £30 and get 170 miles before hitting reserve. I use Eco with hybrid.

people say that the car drives on hybrid when it’s under 30mph, but that’s not the case with me.

It depends on the type of journey you are doing. Indicating 15 miles charged is higher than mine has ever indicated other than when I picked it up brand new at the show room. The electric range takes previous use history into account when “estimating” range. However, dropping from 15 miles down to 2 over a three mile sounds extreme. Was your three mile journey all up steep hills? The people claiming 99mpg are doing most of their mileage on electric. I’m guessing all very short journeys with lots of charging. I regularly do a 150 mile run and only get about 43 mpg. However, my usual commute is 21 miles and I average between 65 mpg and 85 mpg across a whole tank of petrol. The variation is down to temperature, whether I use lights or air con. I have managed more the 99 mpg on the same journey but it was hot and I was stuck behind a lorry at 40mph all the way.

I recently purchased a c350e 16 plate. The mileage was 61777. I’ve only had the car for 2 months and noticed that it’s not very economical.

I charged the battery using a home charger and got 15 miles range on full charge. I did a local drive which was probably 3 miles and the range showed 2 miles, even though it was originally 15.

Im not a fast driver at all and tend to stick with the limit. Is this normal for this to happen?

I drove the car on charge once and that killed off my fuel. 22 mpg when driving on the motorway at 70mph using charge.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong because other posts have stated getting 99.9mpg.

I fill up the car every week with £30 and get 170 miles before hitting reserve. I use Eco with hybrid.

people say that the car drives on hybrid when it’s under 30mph, but that’s not the case with me.

If you’d like to believe MB, you’ll get up to 20 miles per charge from the battery. My experience is that you’ll get more like 12 miles during the summer and 6 miles on a chilly day in the winter.

Some thoughts on the guessometer:
1. Outside of summer, “2 miles estimated range” could mean as much as 50% remaining charge. Ignore it. Use the battery charge level readout instead
2. Learn to use the mode settings. E-save is best for short journeys when you know you can charge before you need to drive again. E-save is food for longer journeys when you want to make sure you don’t use all the charge at the start of the journey. Charge is only useful if you’re more interested in minimising urban emissions at the end of a journey, or if you want enough battery remaining to defrost on a chilly morning without plugging in.
3. Plug in when you can. My home daytime electricity costs 14p per kWh, or 12p per mile at this time of year. That’s on a par with 45mpg of petrol, which as about as much as you can manage in a C350e. in the summer, the electric range is half the winter price. Nighttime electricity might be cheaper...
4. The fuel tank is small, but my current tank has done over 99mpg for mostly short journeys on electric. You should be able to manage 40+mpg without charging unless you’re unless you’re having fun.

Hi, sorry I didn't notice this until now.

No I never did anything with this as a few mechanics told me it would cost alot if money, did you look into this?

Did you make any other mods to your car?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Hi.. Nothing major, mud guards only at the minute but only have the car 2 mths.. [emoji16]

Join the club is all I would really say [emoji23] my electric milage in the summer was 8, that's in eco with everything off driving like a 90 year old. I took it into Mercedes for this whereby the "technician" or what ever they call themselves charged it up and called me to collect the car.

Having asked what he did to the car, he replies "I've charged it for you" so a day without a car and all Mercedes can achieve is to plug it in, I wasn't best pleased and was then told they would need the car longer.

I then get a call the following day around lunch time, "your car can be collected" again I ask "what's been done?" "the technician has taken it for a test drive and completed 12 miles electric only and that's not an issue" (apparently).

I then login to the app and its charged up and the guessomitor normally says 9 or sometimes 10 miles... It now says 15 so I'm thinking oh, I wonder what he has done. When I arrive a lady shows me a photo of the car in hybrid mode having done 15 miles with the engine off for 12 of those. I explain to her that doesn't mean it's done 12 in electric and she's got no idea what I'm on about and ask to speak with the technician, she goes away for 5 mins and comes back and he has apparently taken half a day and left before I arrived. However she assures me the car did 12 miles and has had some sort of software update (hence the 15 mile guessomitor). I then reluctantly accept the car, what else can I do?! And since then, never been able to even achieve 9 so it's clearly b*llsh*t.

I have been meaning to write to Mercedes, explaining the process and how it's unacceptable and that I specifically asked for the battery to be tested and diagnosed and all they did was drive it in hybrid.

For info, mines also a 16 plate with around 60k on the clock. Luckily, the battery is still within its extended warranty period. Its annoying me because I have moved workplace and I now work 5 miles from home (can't charge at work) so once I do the trip, it shows around 30% which is ofc going to get a lot worse in the coming months.

Cue the email to Mercedes as I've made myself mad again [emoji23]

Rykki

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

To make my last paragraph clearer, it shows 30% when I arrive at work (I'm yet to get home with that).

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hi Nick, the route had uphill and downhill slopes. I use the gas to go up and then take my foot off when going down.

Ive been getting to the speed I need and then take my foot off to run on electric and then try to maintain the speed without using power.

I don’t have anything on when driving, unless the windscreen is steamy.

It depends on the type of journey you are doing. Indicating 15 miles charged is higher than mine has ever indicated other than when I picked it up brand new at the show room. The electric range takes previous use history into account when “estimating” range. However, dropping from 15 miles down to 2 over a three mile sounds extreme. Was your three mile journey all up steep hills? The people claiming 99mpg are doing most of their mileage on electric. I’m guessing all very short journeys with lots of charging. I regularly do a 150 mile run and only get about 43 mpg. However, my usual commute is 21 miles and I average between 65 mpg and 85 mpg across a whole tank of petrol. The variation is down to temperature, whether I use lights or air con. I have managed more the 99 mpg on the same journey but it was hot and I was stuck behind a lorry at 40mph all the way.

Hi Dodgy,

When I’ve charged the battery I tend to use the battery for short trips, but it doesn’t last long at all. The battery was charged for 4 hrs and it showed 12miles. I drove on emode and did 3 miles and the battery range went to 2 miles. I felt as though I wasted 4 hrs charging for crap miles.

I’m not really sure what and when to use the different modes. I asked help at Mercedes Stratford and Loughton, both didn’t help me at all.

Overall MPG is 36

Hi Dodgy,

When I’ve charged the battery I tend to use the battery for short trips, but it doesn’t last long at all. The battery was charged for 4 hrs and it showed 12miles. I drove on emode and did 3 miles and the battery range went to 2 miles. I felt as though I wasted 4 hrs charging for crap miles.

I’m not really sure what and when to use the different modes. I asked help at Mercedes Stratford and Loughton, both didn’t help me at all.

Overall MPG is 36

I think the best way we have as users to get an idea of the battery capacity is to monitor how much energy we can put in to it. You say it charged for 4 hours. What charge current was that? I’d guess the lowest one it allows?? Check in the dash menu to see what charge rate is selected.

Once you know the charge rate, given the charge duration you can make a decent guess at how much energy has gone in to the battery. Once you know that, you can then make a judgement about if there is a problem with battery capacity, or with energy consumption. Could even be something like binding brakes or low tyre pressures (although it would alert you to that).

FWIW, I rarely use anything other than Comfort mode. Sometimes I’ll switch to E mode if I’m near the end of a trip and still have a bit of battery left, just to try to keep it on battery until I get home rather than fire up the ICE for a few hundred yards. Only on short trips that have been all electric up until that point though.

Best electric range has been about 14 miles, warm weather, easy drive. Worst is in winter of course, lucky to get 8 miles from a charge.

Hi Dodgy,

Overall MPG is 36

I would ignore the guessometer. Unless it’s 20-25C, there’s no way you’re going to get 12 miles of range out of the battery. And even though the range estimate might start out as wildly optimistic, when the battery gets below 50%, the range estimate seems to be ridiculously pessimistic.

There’s no doubt the C350e burns through elections quicker than it ought to. I think it’s because the battery conditioning is quite aggressive which uses a lot of charge. During the summer, mine gets about 2.5 miles per kWh, which isn’t far off Tesla Model S efficiency. In the winter, 1.2 miles per kWh is really bad.

I’ve heard a couple of experienced C350e drivers on this thread recommend running with the engine on for the first few miles in the winter, to warm the car and the battery without using all the charge. I’ve not tried it myself. I usually switch between e-mode for urban driving and e-save for faster roads, or when I know I can’t get home in e-mode.

Most Mercedes dealers know very little about the car. I think you’d be better off playing around with it to figure out stuff yourself.

Whilst the economy is bad in the winter, it’s getting to that time of the year when I enjoy knowing that the car can be warm in the morning and there’s no need for scraping or spraying to clear ice.

Luckily, the battery is still within its extended warranty period.
Unfortunately the Merc Battery Warranty only covers total failure, not battery degradation. BMW & Tesla warrant battery degradation over 30%. It’s a major reason for me px’ing my E350e against a new 530e. There are a number of posts on here about claiming on the hybrid / battery or I should say, the difficulties of claiming on the hybrid / battery warranty.

If it came to a claim, sadly, I suspect the best bet method after being blown off by MB would be to make a stink on “social” media. They have to be sensitive to bad press around batteries at the moment. Always exhaust the more normal methods first though, they have been known to work.

I have found that just leaving it in hybrid works out to be the best use of the batter, sometimes switch from comfort into eco but mainly stay in comfort. I do a lot of driving every day, about 8km on back roads to moterway and then about 40km and then another 10km off motorway. Battery always at about 17% when i get to work[emoji53].. But my mpg is about 42mpg on average.

If it’s cold, pre-heating the car whilst plugged into the mains makes a difference to electric range that makes it worth doing. When preheating, my car draws about 2kw from the charging pod. I’ve a half hour journey and this is about 1kWh which is a sizeable chunk of the battery capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom