C350e owners club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Clockspring was one, 12V battery cable routing another. Try this site to see if yours is up to date. Check if a vehicle, part or accessory has been recalled

I’ll check the car folder later for the formal notices and report back.

My old Jeep is pretty good, I can put the VIN into a Chrysler website and it lists everything in full detail. No idea if MB offer the same.

.....here you go. How can I verify if my vehicle is involved in a recall?

A, scratch that, that link takes you to a US site that won’t accept a UK VIN. I’ll try again later

This one. Current measures

It only shows if anything is outstanding though, not any previous recalls. Not very transparent IMO
Thank you, @Chris-S

Just checked, the only formally notified recalls I have were for the airbag inadvertent deployment and 12V battery cable routing. ISTR they mentioned checking another cable routing at the last service but don't recall what.

Arguably, the leaky fuel rail should be a safety recall, as should the air suspension failures, as should the starter. Maybe one day enough problems will surface, DVSA will notice, and MB will be obliged to do them.

Like I mentioned before, the propshaft coupling needs replacing soon.
I looked up the covered parts in my warranty agreement and found a section called ‘Propshaft’ and it says ‘Propshaft, universal joints and bearings.’
Do you reckon the coupling should be covered then?

Like I mentioned before, the propshaft coupling needs replacing soon.
I looked up the covered parts in my warranty agreement and found a section called ‘Propshaft’ and it says ‘Propshaft, universal joints and bearings.’
Do you reckon the coupling should be covered then?
@seekay Phone the warranty company. They would know for sure, one way or the other.

@seekay Phone the warranty company. They would know for sure, one way or the other.
The workshop phoned them and the warranty company said no, it’s not covered but I’m looking the booklet now and I’ve got a feeling the warranty company just tried to shake me off. I’ll call them tomorrow and ask myself, just wanted hear your opinions here.

Yeah, I’ve been told that the part not covered. Never mind. (I’m wondering if it’s possible to make any successful warranty claim at all with these third party warranty providers...? )

After having the car for over 6 months, still trying to figure out the best ways to drive the car in different journeys. For example in hybrid or EV mode, do you guys drive the car more often in ‘eco’ or just leave it in ‘comfort’?

Yeah, I’ve been told that the part not covered. Never mind. (I’m wondering if it’s possible to make any successful warranty claim at all with these third party warranty providers...? )

After having the car for over 6 months, still trying to figure out the best ways to drive the car in different journeys. For example in hybrid or EV mode, do you guys drive the car more often in ‘eco’ or just leave it in ‘comfort’?
@seekay Oh no, sorry to hear that.

I drive in Eco 90% of the time for the last 3 years. It works out best for me because my average speed of my journeys in London is usually between 11-15mph lol

I like all the Eco specific features too.

How much will it cost to repair?
Did you buy from a main dealer and do they cover it under their used approved 1 year scheme?

How much will it cost to repair?
Did you buy from a main dealer and do they cover it under their used approved 1 year scheme?
No, I bought the car from an independent dealership and also purchased a 3 years RAC warranty but due to the relatively ‘high’ mileage I couldn’t buy the platinum cover only the gold level which doesn’t include this part. Anyway, I’ve been quoted at Mercedes, the whole job costs £309 (parts + labour, including vat), the part comes with 2 years warranty.

I’ve owned mine 66plate 48k miles for just over 1year and find achieving best economies driving Eco/Ev Eco/Esave for local/running around and Sport/Sport+/Hybrid for motorways.

I’ve owned mine 66plate 48k miles for just over 1year and find achieving best economies driving Eco/Ev Eco/Esave for local/running around and Sport/Sport+/Hybrid for motorways.
“Every driver is different” and all that, but what kind of range of consumption do you see, using that style?

“Logically” I guess that a big group of us “should” be able to be able to do a big chunk of ordinary daily usage on EV, while achieving excellent petrol mpg by using the Engine, rather than the motor, to pootle along at a steady 30-50-70. But does it require too much planning?

@MikeInWimbledon, the best advice I got on here was to get a 7kw home charger installed. This makes the planning and execution of the plan much easier in that you just get into a habit of plugging in when you get home. Once you get the feel for EV driving you will want to do it as much as possible for your short local trips. For longer trips I tend to think about my trip and how to maximise pure EV driving and not arrive home with, for example, 3 miles of charge left.

It might all sound a bit of a headache, but you get into it easily and will enjoy experimenting with the modes and figuring out the car.

I don't bother much calculating mpg and efficiency but do have my driving mode preferences. These are very similar to @MercPassion's. I used to do a lot of medium to long distance running but rarely ran with a stop watch. However, I generally knew what pace I was doing and could concentrate on what my body was telling me instead of what was on my wrist. I drive cars the same way. You will know by your driving what your fuel consumption is likely to be.

Being behind the wheel of a C350e is a very pleasant place to be. For me, I don't like ruining the drive by overthinking it in the same way I enjoyed my runs (including hill running and sprinting) by not overthinking them.

But as you say, every driver is different and others no doubt get a real kick out of the thinking that goes into it and provide excellent data and insights for the rest of us.

@MikeInWimbledon, the best advice I got on here was to get a 7kw home charger installed. This makes the planning and execution of the plan much easier in that you just get into a habit of plugging in when you get home.

All sounds reasonable.

Silly question,maybe, but why do a home charger, unless you're going out again within three hours?

Isn't a normal three pin supply enough to charge (in less than 3 hours) ?

As I understand it ,Rather than the 7kw. which I understand takes less than 2 hours?

Not being parsimonious.... (Moi?) just thinking / expecting that I'd be leaving putting the thing on charge every time I'd pull in.

(I'd be using this purely as a local errand car, in addition to "the wife's car," and "my car - the luxury / long distance wagon."

Thanks for your post, to be honest I can’t really find the benefit in consumption when putting the car in E-Save for local journeys. I would rather use it in pure E-mode or Hybrid (depending on the distance), unless there are hills which like to eat the battery.

@MikeInWimbledon Not a silly question at all! You are correct, the normal 3 pin plug will charge it somewhere between 2 and 3 hours. So your plan would work.

There are two reasons I went for the 7kw charger. The first is that it is tethered so I don't need to open the boot and pull out the cable or go into the house to get the cable. Sounds lazy I know but the idea of making it as easy as possible for myself means that I am more likely to consistently do it!! The second is future proofing at a low cost. I would have needed to have a 3 pin socket installed outside which would have cost me 120 euro. I got the 7kw charger installed for 950 euro and got 600 refunded through the ev charger grant we have here. So for 230 euro more than the cost of the 3 pin socket I have the Zappi tethered charger which will hopefully set me up nicely as am likely to go full EV or at least PHEV with a bigger batter next time.

For what you need it for, it sounds like the C350e would be a very good fit for you in that I take it from previous posts you want to stick with Merc and don't want to go full EV at this point?

@MikeInWimbledon Not a silly question at all! You are correct, the normal 3 pin plug will charge it somewhere between 2 and 3 hours. So your plan would work.

There are two reasons I went for the 7kw charger. The first is that it is tethered so I don't need to open the boot and pull out the cable or go into the house to get the cable. Sounds lazy I know but the idea of making it as easy as possible for myself means that I am more likely to consistently do it!! The second is future proofing at a low cost. I would have needed to have a 3 pin socket installed outside which would have cost me 120 euro. I got the 7kw charger installed for 950 euro and got 600 refunded through the ev charger grant we have here. So for 230 euro more than the cost of the 3 pin socket I have the Zappi tethered charger which will hopefully set me up nicely as am likely to go full EV or at least PHEV with a bigger batter next time.

For what you need it for, it sounds like the C350e would be a very good fit for you in that I take it from previous posts you want to stick with Merc and don't want to go full EV at this point?
I'm in the lucky / rare position that I have plenty of garage and driveway parking, as well as existing external waterproof three pin power sockets, so it would be easy to just have an additional cable at home for the car..

But you've helped me realise that current Government subsidy might be useful for hungrier EV's when they come to call.

I'll go electric when I can buy a five year old well-made EV that my wife would be prepared to drive. For the minute a W222 looks like the more likely change for Dad's car after updating the runabout.

Last edited:
Just for clarity, the car can only charge at a maximum of 3.6kW, but if getting a fixed charger install done, a 7kW capacity is a no-brainer just for the future proofing aspect - it’s what I did.

For a bunch of reasons, I’d not want to use the 13A plug-in charger at 13A, when I used to use it, I always limited it to 10A maximum.

That's right. It still takes about an hour and 45 minutes to charge on the 7kw charger.

@Chris-S how do you limit the 13A charger to 10A?

And Chris,
Do you charge using your 7kw charger at 13amp (that's what rate is preset inside the car, rather then max)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom