• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

C63 507 Edition Wide arch project

Is the part number starting R230 just a coincidence or are they also on any SLs of that era?
I can’t remember if the R230 SL55 ‘030’ PP cars first had the 390mm discs (they were either 380 or 390mm, but larger than the standard SL55 360mm ones), but the R230 SL65 would have used these which then would then have been used later on other models (the SL65 came out before any of the ‘63/BS models as mentioned on this thread) - so it’s not a coincidence! :thumb:

KW V3 are oem ride height within 5mm, they were my original choice when I started the project.
They were ordered at the beginning, then some weeks later they cancelled my order due to lack of availability on the assembly parts.
Eta on the KW was gonna be circa 12 weeks, so carried on with the build while looking at other options.
It was only at this point that I found Rennsport Factory could custom build me a set of Ohlins, so I decided go down this route with Ohlins/ Rennsport and GT Motorport for a completely unique suspension set-up that had been tested on the black series.

That looks tasty buddy, Christmas has arrived a little early 😄 KW or BC Racing no good?
KW are good... I just wanted something bespoke to my build as the chassis geometry is different now due to the wider rear track

It's been a busy week..

More delivery's from across the Pond.
20220922_155022.jpgIMG_20220923_071139_151.jpg
So these are the 2 piece 360mm rear Rotors and Black series calipers.
The kit is made up with OE Black series calipers, the Rotors are made by Racing Brake, supplied with steel Hoses and pads.

The calipers are going off tomorrow to be painted gold, then the whole lot is being fitted next Friday.

As always guys, thanks again for the continued interest and feedback

It's been a busy week..

More delivery's from across the Pond.
View attachment 132305View attachment 132306
So these are the 2 piece 360mm rear Rotors and Black series calipers.
The kit is made up with OE Black series calipers, the Rotors are made by Racing Brake, supplied with steel Hoses and pads.

The calipers are going off tomorrow to be painted gold, then the whole lot is being fitted next Friday.

As always guys, thanks again for the continued interest and feedback
I never thought it possible that a pair of brake discs could be attractive.......
However.
Wow 😍😃

I never thought it possible that a pair of brake discs could be attractive.......
However.
Wow 😍😃
😊, shame the Rotors don't actually stay black.. that would be cool
Your right though, it's the engineering that makes them look so good.

Finally some further updates....
I recieved the Black series calipers back from the Painters colour matched to the front..
For those interested the coulour is Range Rover Sahara Gold.
20220929_175635.jpg

Update.. Big Brake upgrade complete, these things STOP 🧐

Further on from my previous post regarding the front 390 conversion, some guys didn't notice much difference in performance,
I had the opposite, with Brembo Pads, 390mm discs and Braided lines I felt the difference immediately esp under hard braking, another big difference was the braking bias is more noticeable at the front so at low speeds when you need to stop really hard the ABS would kick in, this only leaves the rear brakes to stop you.

20220930_131014.jpgIMG-20220930-WA0028.jpeg

With all that taken into account, I decided on the RB 360mm rear upgrade kit.
The discs are fantastic quality, you don't really appreciate how big they are untill you fit them, then remember these are now the same size as the OE front😳.
Fitted with black series calipers to allow for the larger diameter rotor, RB pads, rotor and braided lines the stopping goes up again..😳.
Seriously, these things are amazingly powerful,
Not only is the braking bias far better, I've also noticed that the feel is much better through the pedal with very progressive travel and bite..

20220930_120812.jpg
20220930_130716.jpg
Yes the cost of the complete upgrade is expensive, some may say it a waste on the road, tbh I'd disagree, it's worth every penny, given that most spend crazy money on tuning, I've spent it on chassis/braking instead.
20221003_160521.jpg

The only other thing to mention... my OCD is going mad as the patterns of the Rotors dont match.

You've probably noticed the Ohlins have been fitted too.. although we encountered some small problems, I'll add the details of this shortly

Wow holly smokes, that's one hell of a mint car 😲 Awesome hardware and these subtle mods are spot on. Well done buddy, one of the cleanest and awesome looking desirable cars 👍👍

Wow holly smokes, that's one hell of a mint car 😲 Awesome hardware and these subtle mods are spot on. Well done buddy, one of the cleanest and awesome looking desirable cars 👍👍
Thanks fella, appreciate the interest
..as for mods they're still ongoing 😉

Awesome. Nice job on the caliper refinishing too.
Cheers buddy, the body shop gave me a coulour chart so I was able to get en exact match.
They only charged me £50 for them to be done

Finally some further updates....
I recieved the Black series calipers back from the Painters colour matched to the front..
For those interested the coulour is Range Rover Sahara Gold.
View attachment 132918

Update.. Big Brake upgrade complete, these things STOP 🧐

Further on from my previous post regarding the front 390 conversion, some guys didn't notice much difference in performance,
I had the opposite, with Brembo Pads, 390mm discs and Braided lines I felt the difference immediately esp under hard braking, another big difference was the braking bias is more noticeable at the front so at low speeds when you need to stop really hard the ABS would kick in, this only leaves the rear brakes to stop you.

View attachment 132919View attachment 132920

With all that taken into account, I decided on the RB 360mm rear upgrade kit.
The discs are fantastic quality, you don't really appreciate how big they are untill you fit them, then remember these are now the same size as the OE front😳.
Fitted with black series calipers to allow for the larger diameter rotor, RB pads, rotor and braided lines the stopping goes up again..😳.
Seriously, these things are amazingly powerful,
Not only is the braking bias far better, I've also noticed that the feel is much better through the pedal with very progressive travel and bite..

View attachment 132921
View attachment 132922
Yes the cost of the complete upgrade is expensive, some may say it a waste on the road, tbh I'd disagree, it's worth every penny, given that most spend crazy money on tuning, I've spent it on chassis/braking instead.
View attachment 132923

The only other thing to mention... my OCD is going mad as the patterns of the Rotors dont match.

You've probably noticed the Ohlins have been fitted too.. although we encountered some small problems, I'll add the details of this shortly
Absolutely stunning , but there is a stray leaf that made it into the picture …totally ruins all your hard work :cool:

Magnificent Motor, Lee, your attention to detail is, Awesome, think you must, have had, a Brain Freeze, when you decided to sell it, glad you didn't, look forward to these reports. 😎🙂👍

Absolutely stunning , but there is a stray leaf that made it into the picture …totally ruins all your hard work :cool:
Trust you to notice that 😆. I'll have to take more care when taking pics

Magnificent Motor, Lee, your attention to detail is, Awesome, think you must, have had, a Brain Freeze, when you decided to sell it, glad you didn't, look forward to these reports. 😎🙂👍
Hey mate, yeah it was a massive brain fart, there was so much going with my family (and still is) amongst various other factors that pushed me into it.
Thankfully I was able to reverse the deal and move further into new territory for the C63

Braided lines are interesting. Had them on my bikes. Seemed to me that the hotter the brake fluid got, the better the braking. Less forgiving but hauled the speed down like I'd thrown a battleship anchor overboard.
My theory is that as brake fluid heats and expands it needs somewhere to go. Standard hoses expand slightly to accomodate the hot fluid. Braided hoses don't expand so fluid has nowhere to go except down the line adding to pressure on the pads.

Err, that's what the brake fluid reservoir is partly for...

It's not the fluid getting hotter improving your brakes, it's the pads and discs getting up to their optimum temperatures.

I've always found a noticeable stiffening of the brake pedal using braided lines, makes for better feel.

Err, that's what the brake fluid reservoir is partly for...

It's not the fluid getting hotter improving your brakes, it's the pads and discs getting up to their optimum temperatures.

I've always found a noticeable stiffening of the brake pedal using braided lines, makes for better feel.
Mainly that's what I feel. Less give in the system.

Mainly that's what I feel. Less give in the system.
So pretty much as you have described, As Steve mentioned.
Standard rubber Hoses expand with heat, even more so as they age.
By replacing the hoses it gives better pressure that gives better pedal feel and less break fade.
As the brakes and pads heat up, the brake fluid also heats up and expands into to the brake fluid reservoir, this is why the reservoir has a max fill line so the brakes don't bind/lock on as the fluid expands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom