C63 507 Model Register

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went out last night with a friend...

Check out his insta @_baz for the rest...

Are you from Cov? There’s a meet local at Gaydon museum next weekend if you want to convoy, Yex will be there in his 507 also

Are you from Cov? There’s a meet local at Gaydon museum next weekend if you want to convoy, Yex will be there in his 507 also

Hi Ash,

Otherside of nuneaton, I would like to come but won’t commit until nearer the time, I have a lot of work going on at my house so most free time I get I’m spent covered in cement, sand, plaster, tile adhesive, water etc

Dan

Before I purchased my C63 507 I kept a register of all the cars that I saw for sale, until eventually I found the right one for me, a silver coupe with black 507 wheels. I decided to keep the list going, partly for interest and partly as a challenge, to see how many of the 233 UK registered cars I could find. OK, I know it makes me look like a right 'Anorak' but this is the last of the big engine NA cars that Mercedes ever made so a milestone in their history.

I did post previously here
C63 507 Statistics

but since then the Register has grown to 130 cars for which I have Registration No., build spec etc.

The first 507 was registered in July 2013 and the last in May 2015. The busiest months for new cars, unsurprisingly, were Sept 2013 and March 2014.

Coupes were the most popular body style and Estates quite rare. I understand only 21 Estates were ever sold in the UK

View attachment 73893

Colour wise, Polar White is by far the one you're most likely to see. I hadn't originally realised that Tenorite Grey was an option as there was no mention of this in the sales brochure.

View attachment 73894

Looking at the options list then Privacy Glass, Harmon Kardon sound system and Black 19" wheels feature on over half the cars. If you're looking for a Tenorite Grey Estate with Lane tracking package you may have a long wait (one does exist though).

View attachment 73895

Finally, interior trim. Most going for full black leather rather than either of the Leather/Dinamica options

View attachment 73896

I know there are a few on here who own, or have owned a 507 so would be great if you can send me a pm with details of your car so I can include on the Model Register [Apowers; JohnV; kw507; Contrast; Bongo Fury; Mike746; steelnads; bravo05; benzyone; H20MRV).

Also, let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know about this awesome model and I'll add to this thread.

Phil
Hello Phil I am new to the club and earlier this year I bought a C63 507 registration is SC63 ALC although the original one was AU64 LSK. Just wondered if you have this one on your register, it came from MB Norwich. Warm regards Simon.

Simon, welcome to the unofficial 507 owners club. I do have that car but listed for sale at Brian Downie cars rather than M-B Norwich. Looks like a good spec and reasonable mileage for the age of car. If you could let me know who the engine builder is then that would be very much appreciated.
Please do ask any questions you have and we'll endeavor to answer them.
Phil

Hello Phil I am new to the club and earlier this year I bought a C63 507 registration is SC63 ALC although the original one was AU64 LSK. Just wondered if you have this one on your register, it came from MB Norwich. Warm regards Simon.

Welcome Simon , you found us ;)

What colour is your coupe?

Simon, welcome to the unofficial 507 owners club. I do have that car but listed for sale at Brian Downie cars rather than M-B Norwich. Looks like a good spec and reasonable mileage for the age of car. If you could let me know who the engine builder is then that would be very much appreciated.
Phil
Hi Phil and thank you. Yes I bought the car from Brian Downie, it was originally bought from MB Norwich. Delighted with the car and it's pretty good overall and straight although not quite A1; a few stone chips, the exhaust tip coating is not good which is a shame as no easy or inexpensive solution and the panoramic roof seal is a bit perished in one area although it works fine and doesn't leak. The only other thing I have noticed is the underside of the bonnet is chafing a bit with the air scoop feeds. Brian Downie knew the car from new as the owner lived in the same village - he assured me the car was spot on and I haven't found anything to suggest otherwise. The car was off the road for well over a year as the owner moved abroad and then emigrated. This helped keep the mileage down although meant the car had not been serviced since it was last used - Brian got the full B Service + required additional work for 4 years, fluids, transmission oil etc. I could ask loads of questions but don't want to drive you mad in the first week.
Engine builder (as far as I can make out from the signature) is Stefan Willemuth or Wilbemuth - however, now you have the question I can't find anything on him....

Warm regards, Simon.

Hi Phil and thank you. Yes I bought the car from Brian Downie, it was originally bought from MB Norwich. Delighted with the car and it's pretty good overall and straight although not quite A1; a few stone chips, the exhaust tip coating is not good which is a shame as no easy or inexpensive solution and the panoramic roof seal is a bit perished in one area although it works fine and doesn't leak. The only other thing I have noticed is the underside of the bonnet is chafing a bit with the air scoop feeds. Brian Downie knew the car from new as the owner lived in the same village - he assured me the car was spot on and I haven't found anything to suggest otherwise. The car was off the road for well over a year as the owner moved abroad and then emigrated. This helped keep the mileage down although meant the car had not been serviced since it was last used - Brian got the full B Service + required additional work for 4 years, fluids, transmission oil etc. I could ask loads of questions but don't want to drive you mad in the first week.
Engine builder (as far as I can make out from the signature) is Stefan Willemuth or Wilbemuth - however, now you have the question I can't find anything on him....

Warm regards, Simon.
Hi Simon
Engine builder will be Stefan Wildermuth, thanks.
The exhaust tips do get quite pitted and, as you say, it's not easy to resolve as it required the whole rear section of the exhaust to be replaced. Maybe someone knows if it is possible to cut the tips off, re-chrome them and weld them back on. Would still be a major job though.
Phil

Hi Simon
Engine builder will be Stefan Wildermuth, thanks.
The exhaust tips do get quite pitted and, as you say, it's not easy to resolve as it required the whole rear section of the exhaust to be replaced. Maybe someone knows if it is possible to cut the tips off, re-chrome them and weld them back on. Would still be a major job though.
Phil
Hi Phil - glad you've heard of the engine builder and now I know his name too. There's a few jobs I want to do, LSD is top of the list. Not sure it's worth spending all that money on the exhaust - the rear sections are 2.2k ex MB, could put a quality aftermarket system on it for that money. Many thanks.

Hi Andy it's Obsidian Black - gorgeous when clean but marks easily. They say most people only ever have one black car... Cheers and thanks Simon.

Hi Simon

As you say most of us have owned a black car, I’m no exception, still remember the first day I washed it and couldn’t get streaks off it, pita :eek: White for me these days ;)

Andy

I'd recommend a Wavetrac differential over a Quaife having had the latter in my previous Z4 and the former recently added to my C63. Regal Autosport are the distributors and can do one for £1,600 fitted.
Hello can you explain a little more please. I have recently bought a 507 and it needs a LSD, I had a Quaife on my shopping list so I am interested to know more about your recommendation. Thanks in advance, Simon.

Hi Phil - glad you've heard of the engine builder and now I know his name too. There's a few jobs I want to do, LSD is top of the list. Not sure it's worth spending all that money on the exhaust - the rear sections are 2.2k ex MB, could put a quality aftermarket system on it for that money. Many thanks.

Welcome, Simon.

Always good to meet another black 507 owner!

Phil

Phil

Do we have a list of current 507 owners ?

Second question when are we going to have an “Unofficial 507 Owners Club Meeting”?
If we can agree a date and venue I’m happy to pull something together. :thumb:

Reactions: Yex
Hello can you explain a little more please. I have recently bought a 507 and it needs a LSD, I had a Quaife on my shopping list so I am interested to know more about your recommendation. Thanks in advance, Simon.
The Wavetrac is very similar to the Quaife as they are both working on the same principle of helical gears.

One of the issues with the Quaife is that under no or little grip on one wheel there is very little torque transfer to the wheel with grip and power can still spin away.

With the Wavetrac there is a wavy 'gear' in the middle which still allows some torque to be transferred across the axle under low load conditions, such as turning out of a T-junction and going over the crest in the road. It also has carbon fibre bias plates to allow consistent friction over its lifetime whereas the Quaife can polish its housing with the end of the gears leading to less friction making it less effective.

The Quaife on my Z4 was virtually undetectable most of the time but did work nicely when needed. However, I can feel the Wavetrac locking up more aggressively and sooner. It works well off the line and in corners.

In terms of price they are similar but the Quaife is more widely available so sometimes on offer. You can get a Wavetrac fitted for £1,600 at Regal Autosport in Southampton who are the UK distributors.

Hello Phil
Are you able to send me the specification details on my car? No worries if you can't. Also why are the black 19" wheels harder to refurb than others - is it something to do the diamond cut? Thanks Simon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom