Charging EVs at Hotels, Restaurants & commercial destinations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
QUOTE:- @Tonygw Good point about funding. Petrol powered vehicles have never been part of lowering emissions though, have they? So why would government want to fund them?

They persuaded us all to go diesel because it was green, better for us and efficient but never funded that either, and now look... Diesel is a dirty word, especially to Greta..

QUOTE:- @Tonygw Good point about funding. Petrol powered vehicles have never been part of lowering emissions though, have they? So why would government want to fund them?

They persuaded us all to go diesel because it was green, better for us and efficient but never funded that either, and now look... Diesel is a dirty word, especially to Greta..
Yes diesel was government funded, remember the scrappage scheme?

The Lexus EV cited presumably is the UX300e which doesn't have a spectacular range for an EV of its size (even by 2021 standards)
The Lexus UX300e only came to the UK this year.
I believe @baxlin used the term 'hybrid' so being a 6yr old Lexus would of the 'self-charging' type i.e. one doesn't need to plug in. (Apologies baxlin if I misinterpreted)

Erm yes just a bit LOL, If every hotel has say 10 x 7KW chargers, that's 70KW... Each house i an average street uses worst case 1.2Kw variable.. and is supplied by a sub station capable of this. Then each hotel would need a substation installing capable of delivering enough power for a whole street continuously for 8-10 hours

Best out another lump of coal on..
I see a market for standalone ICE generators powered by mains gas. Circa 100hp should do it.

I believe @baxlin used the term 'hybrid' so being a 6yr old Lexus would of the 'self-charging' type i.e. one doesn't need to plug in. (Apologies baxlin if I misinterpreted)
@whitenemesis I was referring to the OP who mentioned his friend's Lexus EV

The Tesla we have at works actually plans the route based on availability of Tesla superchargers, which you can book in advance.

Being able to charge the car overnight at the hotel's car park is obviously nice, but this shouldn't make much difference to anyone's journey, unless you're driving in a part of the country where there are no Tesla charging stations.

The issue seems to me that Tesla took the initiative of setting up their own charging stations, while other manufacturers expect the state or private sector to provide the charging network.

The main reason that ownership of Diesel was encouraged via tax cuts, was that Diesel engines produce less CO2 and this was at a time when the UK government was trying to meet its CO2 reduction targets.

The health risks and pollution were well known at the time, but it was considered meeting the CO2 emissions targets trumped everything else, and there were no other viable options back then.

Now we have EVs, so we no longer need to rely on the lower CO2 emissions of Diesel engines. One of the key benefits of EVs, is that the energy to power then is generated at power plants, which can be modified or converted to reduce CO2 emissions over time.

No, you are quite correct. I only mentioned it (and used the phrase EV concept) in an effort to show that even if my post suggested I may not be totally sympathetic to EV owners, I had at least put my toe in the water quite a while ago.

And yes, the EV range was pathetic, and its mpg wasn’t much better, with a 2.4 ltr ICE as well as the lecky motor. But it was a lovely car...

Last edited:
I have a friend who has a Lexus EV, who has been trying to find a decent hotel in Wiltshire for a family gathering this summer, with at least two 7Kw or faster charging points, as both he & his son-in-law have EVs.

He has, of course looked on ZapMap and various hotel websites and has emailed a few hotels which meet his requirements, he tells me that the best response he has received is from a hotel which has said that it will have a number of 7Kw or faster charging points available but not until at least the autumn of 2022.

He told me this as he is asking friends who might purchase EVs to ask about 7Kw+ charging points when making reservations at Hotels, Restaurants, and commercial destinations.

He is particularly pi...ed off that his accountants, who steered him towards buying an EV for tax reasons don't offer charging points at their premises!

It can't do any harm for those of us who may be planning to acquire an EV in the next few years to raise this issue as my friend suggests.

I was pleasantly surprised that:- Getaroom UK. Book Cheap Hotels, Apartments and Resorts, Save up to 70% - Why don't you just? Getaroom! and I am sure other hotel booking websites, allow one to search for hotels with EV charging points.

It has occurred to me that maybe the Chancellor should consider improving incentives for businesses to install EV charging points.

Currently the Government’s Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV), the Workplace Charging Scheme provides a grant for businesses to reduce the cost of having an EV charge point installed at their premises.

The grant allows businesses, charities, and local authorities to claim 75% of the total cost of installation, up to a maximum of £350 per socket installed, and with a maximum of 40 sockets across all sites for each applicant.

I would have thought that the maximum of 40 sockets across all sites should be abolished, and the maximum per socket increased substantially.

It might even be sensible to allow 100% of the cost of the first few EV charging points installed at each premises.

NJSS
I guess your friend also whines when he comes over to yours and you won’t let him use the granny (13amp) charger.

..He is particularly pi...ed off that his accountants, who steered him towards buying an EV for tax reasons don't offer charging points at their premises!..

I am assuming that he meant it as a light-hearted comment?

The main reason that ownership of Diesel was encouraged via tax cuts, was that Diesel engines produce less CO2 and this was at a time when the UK government was trying to meet its CO2 reduction targets.

The health risks and pollution were well known at the time, but it was considered meeting the CO2 emissions targets trumped everything else, and there were no other viable options back then.
'' There were no other viable options back then'' ... because the lean burn technology had been dismissed in favour of technologies that relied on catalytic convertors. Lean burn technology that is the current crop of GDI engines that can rival diesels on fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions were legislated out of existence despite several OEMs pleading for them to be permitted.

Now we have EVs, so we no longer need to rely on the lower CO2 emissions of Diesel engines. One of the key benefits of EVs, is that the energy to power then is generated at power plants, which can be modified or converted to reduce CO2 emissions over time.
It would be more convincing if the renewable generation came before the utilisation of EVs. I cannot (and no one else can either) look down a wire and see if the electricity it is delivering has in fact been generated from a renewable source or a fossil fired one. I'm supposed to take it on trust - despite the absolute clamour there will be for electrical generation capacity - that it will all be from renewables. And no one is even noticing the elephant about to enter the room. Namely, when battery technology improves to meet consumer demands of faster charging - so will the need for more robust charging facilities. It won't be a faster charge for me when I'm told, 'No, you'll have to wait a few hours before connecting as the grid is already at maximum capacity due to others' rapid charging'.

Last edited:
Being able to charge the car overnight at the hotel's car park is obviously nice, but this shouldn't make much difference to anyone's journey, unless you're driving in a part of the country where there are no Tesla charging stations.
Yes, nice. Nice like the hotel chef having bought the ingredients for dinner rather than him appearing at the table and asking you to pop down to Tesco for them before he can cook. That it'll only take a half an hour is neither here nor there.

It's up to hotel proprietors to decide what service they want to offer but that on arrival at a hotel after a long journey there is an expectation that before you can again travel you have to leave the hotel grounds in search of a fresh charge isn't I suspect what most will welcome.

I see a market for standalone ICE generators powered by mains gas. Circa 100hp should do it.
There are already strong hints that mains gas is to be considered 'dirty'.

Dare I suggest that our reserves are depleting at a rate while Russia has plenty of it. We wouldn't want to be dependant on Russia for our energy needs, like Germany.

I can't afford an EV.
It will be along while before an EV van is even remotely feasible to most van drivers.
I am already close to being taxed out of existence, the occasional £37B covid spend has me thinking that can only get worse for me.

Providing charging points at taxpayers expense is me providing further advantage to the well heeled.
Legislating so that businesses should carry increased responsibility for more is the trend already. But is indirect taxation as it needs to be recovered from the consumer.

'' There were no other viable options back then'' ... because the lean burn technology had been dismissed in favour of technologies that relied on catalytic convertors. Lean burn technology that is the current crop of GDI engines that can rival diesels on fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions were legislated out of existence despite several OEMs pleading for them to be permitted.

It would be more convincing if the renewable generation came before the utilisation of EVs. I cannot (and no one else can either) look down a wire and see if the electricity it is delivering has in fact been generated from a renewable source or a fossil fired one. I'm supposed to take it on trust - despite the absolute clamour there will be for electrical generation capacity - that it will all be from renewables. And no one is even noticing the elephant about to enter the room. Namely, when battery technology improves to meet consumer demands of faster charging - so will the need for more robust charging facilities. It won't be a faster charge for me when I'm told, 'No, you'll have to wait a few hours before connecting as the grid is already at maximum capacity due to others' rapid charging'.
Spot on.
I just can’t believe that people responsible for our future continue to plough forward, seemingly completely ignorant to so many logistical and financial pitfalls, all supposedly being restructured before 2030. As of today IMHO the whole process seems way way off any form of reality. Christ, we can’t even maintain our road system in any basic state, let alone reconfigure the entire country’s infrestructure towards sustaining best part of 34,000,000 EV’s. 😳

Last edited:
Christ, we can’t even maintain our road system in any basic state
I see that as a consequence of an ever increasing population using the roads more.
And / or we all needing supplies of everything brought by an ever increasing number of 40 tonne wagons.

Be ready for an electronic monitoring of our road miles so we can be charged,
that could be part of fuel cost but wont be.

Then the trend for Gov't's to demonise parts of our life.
I should feel embarrassed and guilty as I drive past any school in my diesel as I kill an unquantifiable number of kiddies.
That will be applied to petrols soon enough.

We bought condensing gas boilers to save the planet, now they want us to replace those with electric reclaim something or other. But will I be permitted to use it when the rest of the street plug their cars in?

Our local trains are still diesel. I'm going to slash the tyres on those to show how bad they are.
And if they arrest me I shall complain to my MP that they put me into the back of a diesel police van, it shouldn't be allowed.

I see that as a consequence of an ever increasing population using the roads more.
It's primarily a consequence of lack of investment, lack of accountability and p*ss poor maintenance. The same bit has been patched 4 or 5 times and it's still breaking up. The entire section needs taking up and resurfacing but they continue to patch it and it continues to get worse each time.

Often the root cause of these craters is (insert contractor of choice here) sinking a massive trench into the road and then doing a half-baked job of putting it back afterwards - made all the more galling when they did this to a road that had only been relaid a year or 2 before. They should be held accountable, but they aren't. The major offenders are on contract and get paid for the year, not by the job; the beancounters keep giving them the contracts despite their shambolic incompetence. One wonders why?

It's primarily a consequence of lack of investment, lack of accountability and p*ss poor maintenance. The same bit has been patched 4 or 5 times and it's still breaking up. The entire section needs taking up and resurfacing but they continue to patch it and it continues to get worse each time.

Often the root cause of these craters is (insert contractor of choice here) sinking a massive trench into the road and then doing a half-baked job of putting it back afterwards - made all the more galling when they did this to a road that had only been relaid a year or 2 before. They should be held accountable, but they aren't. The major offenders are on contract and get paid for the year, not by the job; the beancounters keep giving them the contracts despite their shambolic incompetence. One wonders why?
As I understand, Manchester at least, there are controls as to who can dig and when.
It is supposedly controlled so they all vandalise the roads in advance of a resurface.
Contractors are 'supposedly' penalised for lack of planning and a poor repair.

The evidence does seem a bit different though.

But the ground under the roads is constantly moving. Increased amounts and weights of traffic must have an unsettling effect.

I reads of comparisons to the French roads for example, that slag our roads as very inferior.
But France has 44% of our population density.
I've no experience, but generally I imagine they have less road congestion.
New Zealand sounds nice.

The density itself isn't the problem, provided you maintain in line with that density. What we're doing is taking a 10k/1year service interval, doing 30k and saying "Yeah, but it's still only been a year".

Yes, nice. Nice like the hotel chef having bought the ingredients for dinner rather than him appearing at the table and asking you to pop down to Tesco for them before he can cook. That it'll only take a half an hour is neither here nor there.

It's up to hotel proprietors to decide what service they want to offer but that on arrival at a hotel after a long journey there is an expectation that before you can again travel you have to leave the hotel grounds in search of a fresh charge isn't I suspect what most will welcome.
I've never stayed at an hotel and expected them to have a petrol pump in the grounds. Why would there be an expectation for them to provide EV charging?

in 5 years, there is no way on earth the Government is going to equip ime EVs will be a niche thing replaced by Hydrogen, there is no way on earth any Government is going to equip each street with multiple charge points, think of the cost of your average semi detached street or perish the thjought the terraced street, plus where will they put the Wires!

Hydrogen simple re purpose petrol stations all that comes out is water its a no brainer and saves tens of Billions in costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom