Cr*p cars I have driven..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Greetings, Citizens.

Added another car to my not-wish list yesterday.. had to go to a meeting at another business unit first thing this morning and as it's 130 miles away I drove down last night and stayed in a hotel.

I booked a hire car as we are allowed to do so if there's a justification and mine is that I don't wish to wear my car out on business use :p.

I asked for an automatic as a) I'm lazy and like the car to just get on with it and b) I hurt my left knee last week and it's still not 100%. Normally if we get a rental we get a Focus-class car (which is fine) but sometimes if you ask for an auto you get lucky and get something half-decent if that's what's in the yard at the time. Anyway, car turns up, a Peugeot 3008. Cue sinking feeling, not a fan of French cars.

The driving experience didn't make me fall in love either. It's been a while since I drove a duffer like this - 1.6 diesel with a semi-automatic gearbox. Pretty dreadful combination all round - tiny powerband and a gearbox that changes like a learner. In addition, it has a stop/start system that kills the engine if you're stationary with your foot on the brake - I thought it had stalled the first time it happened.

Anyroadup, so you're sat there at a junction with the engine stopped and see a gap. Lift your foot off the brake, engine coughs into life, press the throttle and - wait for it - the car may decide to move off. Or not, as the case may be. In desperation, you mash the pedal into the carpet, the revs rise until the turbo spins up and all of sudden you've got a bunch of torques trying to escape. The car panics, goes to change into second (cue another 1 second gap) and then almost stalls as the revs have fallen out of the power band :wallbash:. Borderline dangerous, if you ask me.

On the plus side, although being a hideous town car it was pleasant enough on the motorway. Once the gearbox had finally managed to find its way into 6th and the cruise control was on, it wasn't a bad place to be. Seats were comfortable and it was pretty well equipped. I suppose if that's what you need it'd do the job.

Having checked out the specs on the Peugeot website tonight though I am sceptical about their claimed fuel consumption figures - they claim 60 MPG, I got 46 and wasn't exactly caning it - most of this was done on motorways too.

The other thing I noticed checking out the spec is that the list price (based on what I could guess from the Peugeot website) comes close to £23K. Now I realise that car rental companies get huge discounts off list as they'll take anything the manufacturers have lying about. Quite right too, because if anyone was prepared to cough up 23 large for this they need their heads examining..

This has been another biased and unsolicited review. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Gaz

I don't like modern French motors either - they are either soul-less regular cars, or insane hatches that compromise way too much to be a comfy daily driver.

Back when I was a kid my dad had a Peugot 405 Mi16 and I loved that, powerful, comfy, average sized car. They certainly don't make them like they used to in Le France.

Try a PT crusier. The worst car I have ever driven.

Smarts are not great to drive either.

Lada Riva
Driven from Stratford upon Avon to Westgate on Sea in the days before the M25.

Unbe-riva-bly bad.

My dad once had an FSO (dont no why)

That was totally shocking to drive

This sounds like we ought to have a GBU ( Good , Bad and Ugly ) place on the forum , like Car magazine used to have at the back !

1972 VW camper.

That bad to drive, they should be illegal.

None recently, thankfully.

But a few in the past, all of which were nearly-new rental cars in the late 90':

4th: Citroen Xantia Diesel - very bland and not particularly frugal
3rd: Citroen Saxo 1.1 - cheap and nasty
2nd: Chrysler Neon - built quality, handling, cheap, cheap, cheap...
1st: Kia Shuma 1.6 Auto - very poorly built and utterly gutless - it actually stalled on a motorway driving uphill with 5 occupants.

I don't like modern French motors either - they are either soul-less regular cars, or insane hatches that compromise way too much to be a comfy daily driver./QUOTE]

Just back from France last night, still amazed at the way cars are treated in France, only cars without dents and scrapes are less than a week old! On the motorway, lane discipline may be far superior to the UK, but even the smallest hatchback is thrashed mercilessly at over 90mph for hundreds of miles at a time.

Maybe the French get the cars they deserve?

Russ

The view I get from the French at least is that their cars are just a tool to get from A to B, and that's how they are treated. IIRC, don't they even have super strict rules on tuning cars? Given that, it's easy to see why a lot of their output is bland these days.

Just back from France last night, still amazed at the way cars are treated in France, only cars without dents and scrapes are less than a week old! On the motorway, lane discipline may be far superior to the UK, but even the smallest hatchback is thrashed mercilessly at over 90mph for hundreds of miles at a time.

Maybe the French get the cars they deserve?

Russ

When they drink/drive as much as they do there’s little point in having a car with nice bodywork.

For me it was the Hillman Avenger
we had them as company pool cars in the 1980's
they were awful no redeeming features and no one looked after them
everyone thrashed them mercilessly
quite a few of them were green
some things you never forget:eek:

They are indeed bad to drive, I have one!!

Good for the summer, pop the roof off, drive down the beach, turn the sounds up and use the 4wd to get into the hills to in the winter for some tree felling.

That's it. Great for intended purpose but terrible on the road.

Most of the Russian cars I've driven over there! Ladas of all sorts are hideous and even the new ones (haha) like the Priora and Kalina are so bad you'd pray to drive that Peugeot for the rest of your lives! :D

Volga - what can I say? The "iconic" Soviet KGB car is just the worst car to drive you can imagine. Heavy, slow and woefully badly built. May have some charm as a classic one day, but don't ever think about driving one.

In UK, the worst car I've had was a Talbot Sunbeam. But, it was robust. I tried many times to cane the guts out of it so it would die and the company give me something new - but it never did... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom