Crash in Leicestershire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wait for it.........

any minute now......

And..
What subsequently happened is not the fault of the Police, but seemingly the driver of the car they transfered to.
If the initial vehicle had been road legal they wouldn't have needed to transfer at all, so if it's anyones fault that they did it's the driver of the first car.

That's what my point was. "It's not our fault Guv, the police made us do it"

And..
What subsequently happened is not the fault of the Police, but seemingly the driver of the car they transfered to.
If the initial vehicle had been road legal they wouldn't have needed to transfer at all, so if it's anyones fault that they did it's the driver of the first car.

Wait for it.........
I think the media should be far, far more understanding and NOT invade the privacy of grieving families. We are talking about families that have just been told they have lost a child and trust me that is not pleasant.

The media are the scum of the earth and are looking for sound bites. These parents are understandably lashing out and hopefully folks will be compassionate and not start trying to allocate blame. These youngsters have paid the ultimate price.

I can just imagine the media fighting to get quotes from just about anyone involved in this and the poor lorry driver will definitely need protecting from these vultures.

Do I like the media and the way they conduct themselves?

Regards
John

I might agree. My post refered to who was NOT to blame, not who is or how that information is sought.

okay

I have a different interest in this.

This case has been cited today in a Duty of care meeting held on company vehicles. My role is heavily involved in this 'risk' side of business.

The needs of the lorry driver (as an employer) were discussed, from being hauled up as a criminal (initially) which is very distressing and daunting, through to the trauma and guilt he will feel for being the reason 6 peole are dead. Not his fault the aerial photos show, but his lorry did kill them.
(then there is also the vehicle records, tacho etc etc)
That photo was released into the scenario late it the discussion and changed the reaction of the team in the room

We had a 'similar' fatal last year on the haulage fleet and the driver took it quite hard, but then retorted - what if I had been a family in a focus....?

Sorry if this is a little OT, but I quote it (with red wine to my left) to show there are many reasons these stories get press, some bad, some good and some most people don't think about.

Tragic events though

That photo was released into the scenario late it the discussion and changed the reaction of the team in the room

Sorry to sound a bit off, but this sounds like a bit of a quango meeting where you were discussing events without having the full facts.
Was it a worthwhile meeting.?

I don't mean that to sound rude, it just seems a bit unneccsary, as many meetings are.

Dieselman

Fair comment though as prior empoyers loved committees et al.

My current lot, nope, JFDI!

I should have said became available mid meeting and not planned that way

Not a quango, but 5 of us finishing up our policy of company car and van drivers's required by the HSE given the car is now a work place (no smoking signs fitted as standard) So much of what we do is driven to react to H&S

This obviously was in the news and allowed us to think, how would what we are finishing up,work.

PS - having dealt with the press on two such tragedies Glojo, you are so right about the insensitive bleep bleep bleepers!

(no smoking signs fitted as standard)

I thought the signs were just for multi occupancy/use vehicles as opposed to ones issued to a single driver.
A single driver can still smoke in a company car but not if they have passengers that might object or if it's a pool type vehicle.

What a sad, sad world no sorry country :eek: :eek: we are living in. What have we done. People wearing hard hats and goggles in a bare field that is a future building site but there is a pile driver 400 yards away!! The list is endless but risk assessment for a lorry driver!!! We are all going bonkers. Do I have public liability insurance for a birthday party?

Sorry for taking this very serious topic off thread but this country is going down the pan :devil: :devil:

I'm off to bed
John the ranter

I thought the signs were just for multi occupancy/use vehicles as opposed to ones issued to a single driver.
A single driver can still smoke in a company car but not if they have passengers that might object or if it's a pool type vehicle.

Off topic, but you are spot on

However, "all vans, cars and vehicles must be available at all times for any employee authorised for business (yada yada yada)", unquote.

You can smoke in a convertible with the roof down apparently, but enough OT

Its a tragic case. I work for the same company as the artic involved. The driver wasn't from our depot, but from a local one, but its what everyone has been talking about. The general opinion is, if it was one of us driving, we wouldn't be back behind the wheel of a HGV anytime soon. I think I would spend the rest of my life thinking "what if".

It is sad but i feel that the guy who caused it paid the price. sorry to be harsh but pity he took 5 others with him, i mean if the truck driver had been in a smart car with a wife and kid, it would have been a different story.
Just wish people like that are alone when they decide to cause trauma to others.
similar to those commiting suicide jumping in front of trains or onto motorways and traumatising train drivers

It is sad but i feel that the guy who caused it paid the price. sorry to be harsh but pity he took 5 others with him, i mean if the truck driver had been in a smart car with a wife and kid, it would have been a different story.
Just wish people like that are alone when they decide to cause trauma to others.
similar to those commiting suicide jumping in front of trains or onto motorways and traumatising train drivers

All very true, it could've been two car loads of people dead, not one.

I've been thinking about this and wonder whether the train of events is something like;
Five young friends go out in a car to Melton Mowbray, which is approx 15 miles from Leicester, the driver is uninsured and gets caught so the car is impounded.
They call out either an older friend or maybe a Brother to pick them up at 1:30am. He drives over, collects them and is impatient to get back as he needs to get back to bed and has over an hours drive dropping them off, so is a bit flustered and tired/irritable.
Maybe he also thought they might be impressed by a rapid drive back as well, so when he hits this piece of road he's really motoring as it's a great stretch of road for blasting along.
Maybe he doesn't know the raod very well and only sees the bend too late as it's unlit being rural, either way, he's over-cooked it.

We've all been there and got away with it.

Duty of care?

Apparantly the police sized their original car, so in some respects it's society's fault this happened.
Well if their car had been seized (no valid insurance allegedly :eek: ) on the night in question Thursday and the youngsters had been left stranded late at night I might well have been saying that society( thro the police) might have had a duty of care to ensure they got home OK. However the car was seized on the Tuesday which gave them a couple of days to arrange transport home. :confused: Evidently the car driver was slightly older at 23 so driver inexperience was probably not a factor in this case. He was evidently helping them out by giving them a lift home after they phoned him. No doubt more facts will emerge with any enquiry conducted but sadly wont bring those young lives back.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom