Drivers to be banned from picking up mobile phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do police Panda car drivers use their handheld police radios while driving? What training do they actually receive? AFAIK they're not highly-trained police drivers, so are they committing an offence?

Reactions: AW8
Do police Panda car drivers use their handheld police radios while driving? What training do they actually receive? AFAIK they're not highly-trained police drivers, so are they committing an offence?
In a similar vein the Top Gear presenters are always using handheld communication devices, hardly a good example

There was a specific exemption for two-way radio when the current legislation was first introduced (some 20 years ago now).

The reasons given were that civilian use of two-way radio was declining, and that it is mostly in use by the emergency services these days.

This is the situation according to my understanding Cars have mains sets & hands free. Technically airwave radio units are not mobile phones ,(spirit of the law should be considered). Training, skills & permissions vary depending on force, experience & role.

Frequent radio audio frequents ears of busy uniformed officers, nearly every hour of every working day. Single crewed officers going to calls can need crucial info passed to them & sometimes need to talk. Giving a pursuit commentary single crewed can be a challenge.

It is important to consider road safety & setting good examples but a balance needs to be struck.....I saw Chris Harris accelerate quite hard last week (hooligan). Here's perhaps a thought for some.....A call for bans on hands free phone use, Top Gear & the Police.....Good Luck btw;)

Last edited:
I would be interested to any links to studies that prove that interactive passengers do not cause similar distraction..... In my experience in car conversation can sometimes be more distracting than some lawful hands free calls.

Thanks - digesting.
Unfortunately these are only articles that reference studies. I haven’t been able to get hold of the actual papers resulting from the studies. Not unreasonably I suppose, the authors (or their administrators) want to be paid for them.

More:

Unfortunately these are only articles that reference studies. I haven’t been able to get hold of the actual papers resulting from the studies. Not unreasonably I suppose, the authors (or their administrators) want to be paid for them.
I have read the linked content. As you say the papers are not readily available.

Re the 1st link :

Observation 1 : "Conversation partners were told to tell one another a previously undisclosed "close call" story about a time their lives were threatened"

This would distract many....talking on a phone or in person. Human nature causes many to look at others faces when emotive recollections are shared. Odd this didn't seem to factor.

Observation 1 : The study happened to analyse the driving performance of 41 mostly young adult drivers.

It's those pesky youngsters being mentioned again ! ;)

Observation 2 : "Passengers took an active role in supporting the driver, often talking about surrounding traffic"

How helpful........

"So this guy followed me down an alley. with a knife"...(pause) .."STOP -THINK BIKE ! "....& then threatened to kill me"

Observation 3 : "That shared situational awareness could be helpful to the driver"

I am sure it was. Passengers that know me normally let me deal with the driving....I don't like brake pedal marks on my passenger mats.

Re 2nd link :

Only one observation : "Conversation on a cell phone did not result in compensatory performance adjustments, such as increasing headway or reducing speed "

I often drive slower and leave more gap if I have to use a hands free phone when driving. ..........Maybe I am the exception or maybe I am compensating, (for something) ;)

2 weeks ago I carried two passengers. Both were talking to me. I nearly missed two junctions. This is unusual for me. Ironically the in car chat may have distracted me from my sat-nav.

I am not stating that in car technology is never a distraction, Technology can distract. A distracted driver can fail to see a hazard, fail to react in time & with serious or worse consequences. However, in post 66 I listed examples of multiple other distraction factors.....including the much lauded , (on here at least), good old fashioned road map. I noted the seeming lack of acknowledgment by some & thus have parked that lot for now.

Ideally drivers should drive with due consideration for their environment both inside & outside of the vehicle. If in doubt don't use it !

I am a self critical driver & far from perfect.

Thanks for the links :)

Last edited:
Two way radio is usually task oriented and not a long drawn out chat on the phone.

Why do we need to find excuses to do what we know we shouldn't do?

I would be interested to any links to studies that prove that interactive passengers do not cause similar distraction..... In my experience in car conversation can sometimes be more distracting than some lawful hands free calls.

I note you have not challenged my comments that suggested error margins can be lessened if the manner of driving is adjusted & more appropriate..........I will park this for now then.

Just as well others are not required to be excused for conducting a lawful hands free call.

Individual circumstances should be considered before & during any lawful hands free call.

Generally I do the same, however, it may depend on individual circumstances.

Youngsters or otherwise,....if all staff were genuinely on board then I don't see any issue.

I could expand more, but sense you might not be open to considering views at variance to yours.

OMG...really?

Please justify your desire to use your phone while driving. Surely your time is not that valuable! The motoring bodies all agree that it (handsfree) is unsafe and just because the law allows you to stick your head into a fire does not mean you should do it! Apparently, you are one of those that does!

I cannot be ar$$ed to research links for you to read, I'm sure your fingertips are more than capable. The information is there, If you choose not to believe it, that is on you!

The problem with common sense, is that it it not very common!

I have read the linked content. As you say the papers are not readily available.

Re the 1st link :

Observation 1 : "Conversation partners were told to tell one another a previously undisclosed "close call" story about a time their lives were threatened"

This would distract many....talking on a phone or in person. Human nature causes many to look at others faces when emotive recollections are shared. Odd this didn't seem to factor.

Observation 1 : The study happened to analyse the driving performance of 41 mostly young adult drivers.

Observation 2 : "Passengers took an active role in supporting the driver, often talking about surrounding traffic"

How helpful........

"So this guy followed me down an alley. with a knife"...(pause) .."STOP -THINK BIKE ! "....& then threatened to kill me"

Observation 3 : "That shared situational awareness could be helpful to the driver"

I am sure it was. Passengers that know me normally let me deal with the driving....I don't like brake pedal marks on my passenger mats.

Re 2nd link :

Only one observation : "Conversation on a cell phone did not result in compensatory performance adjustments, such as increasing headway or reducing speed "

I often drive slower and leave more gap if I have to use a hands free phone when driving. ..........Maybe I am the exception or maybe I am compensating, (for something) ;)

2 weeks ago I carried two passengers. Both were talking to me. I nearly missed two junctions. This is unusual for me. Ironically the in car chat may have distracted me from my sat-nav.

I am not stating that in car technology is never a distraction, Technology can distract. A distracted driver can fail to see a hazard, fail to react in time & with serious or worse consequences. However, in post 66 I listed examples of multiple other distraction factors.....including the much lauded , (on here at least), good old fashioned road map. I noted the seeming lack of acknowledgment by some & thus have parked that lot for now.

Ideally drivers should drive with due consideration for their environment both inside & outside of the vehicle. If in doubt don't use it !

Horse to water.................

You're very vehement; some would say a touch too vehement (though not as unreasonable as pmcgsmurf on irresponsible dog walkers). Calm down, dear...

Last edited:
Two way radio is usually task oriented and not a long drawn out chat on the phone.

Why do we need to find excuses to do what we know we shouldn't do?

The exemption in the legislation was explained at the time on the dwindling number of people who still use two-way radio outside of the emergency services, the assumption was that it will simply be too small to justify legislation, and that ultimately including two-way radio will mainly impact on the emergency services.

It's important to understand that the exemption was for practical reasons and not 'on merit' - I.e. it wasn't suggested that two-way radio was less distracting that using a mobile phone.

You're very vehement; some would say a touch too vehement (though not as unreasonable as pmcgsmurf on irresponsible dog walkers). Calm down, dear...
A vehemence that’s justified when it relates to actions that too many appear unconcerned could and do result in deaths and serious injuries.

Re the 1st link :

How helpful........

Re 2nd link :

Thank you for at least making the effort to read a small selection of the extensive evidence against using hands-free phones. Of course it’s easy to pick holes in studies such as these, so in return and for the sake of balance, could you provide links to studies that disprove the dangers of hands-free phone use?

..........could you provide links to studies that disprove the dangers of hands-free phone use?

No......I am sorry if any offence is caused, however, I wont be doing this..... :)..........

Clearly there seems to be some significant misunderstanding.........I have NOT claimed evidence exists which disproves the dangers of "hands-free phone use" Any inferences drawn or made that I hold such views are wholly incorrect.

Anyone unclear re my, (middle ground), stance may wish to read or revisit my earlier posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom