eBay misrepresented items

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
The other day, I was trawling through eBay looking for some SD cards for my lovley new XDA ( :bannana: ); and I found that its impossible to discriminate between items in the UK and items that "pretend" to be in the UK; i.e. listed as being in the UK, but then the listing says "Ships from our warehouse in hong kong" or some other place... I looked through the terms and conditions, and misrepresenting a location is a no-no.... so after contacting eBay, I got this reply... thought you would be interested....
Michele

Hello,

I have received your email and apologise for the delay in our response
to your inquiry.

We have been working to introduce a specific policy to ban the practice
of misrepresenting the location of an item in a listing. This policy was
originally scheduled to go live on June 1st 2005, but has been delayed
indefinitely.

This delay has resulted from a decision to introduce the policy globally
rather than just in the UK. We believe that a global policy will be
significantly more effective than a UK-specific policy in reducing
location misrepresentation.

We apologise for the delay in implementing this policy, and thank you
for your patience. We will continue to work to introduce the policy,
and will post a revised launch date on the eBay UK site when it becomes
available.

I trust that the above information answers your query to your
satisfaction.

Regards,

Brenda Lannigan
eBay Community Watch Team

thanks

thats good information, - having just bought something using buy-it-now, and only at the checkout did I spot the small print that item ships from USA.

Hopefully no problem because good feedback - but I do find it irritating that you have to read every single word on the ebay listing before bidding or risk facing long postage delays or paying VAT.

i trade regually on ebay; if the info is there to read b4 u bid, and you dont, its your problem.

Sorry but you MUST ALWAYS read everything on the page b4 placing a bid or buying it now....

if you dont read it it is your fault.... seller cant do anything else

The irritating thing is that when you try and search for items, there's no way of saying "exclude items that are really being shipped from hong kong". These people know that, and that's why they do it. They are the scum of the earth.

The only thing worse is when you are searching for 'Mercedes' for example, and you find listings that say .......

'Ford gearknob - NOT BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari ......etc '

That drives me nuts :devil: makes me want to buy a gun, shave my head and climb a tower......

SilverSaloon said:
i trade regually on ebay; if the info is there to read b4 u bid, and you dont, its your problem.

Sorry but you MUST ALWAYS read everything on the page b4 placing a bid or buying it now....

if you dont read it it is your fault.... seller cant do anything else

Couldnt agree more. What is it they say you learn by your mistakes. I was after a metal geared servo for my 1/8th scale buggy by it now £12 £4postage item location UK. 1 week later still no goods so I thought I would email the seller. Only then did I read ships from Hong Kong :rolleyes:

So yes it was my mistake but quite simply the seller should not be able to put the item location as the UK.

Howard said:
The only thing worse is when you are searching for 'Mercedes' for example, and you find listings that say .......

That drives me nuts :devil: makes me want to buy a gun, shave my head and climb a tower......

And that is very much against Ebay policy :crazy:

Howard said:

You need to use a search like this 'mercedes -ford -vw -vauxhall -{insert anything else here which annoys such as tax disk holders or keyrings or naff valve caps}'

mergli said:
You need to use a search like this 'mercedes -ford -vw -vauxhall -{insert anything else here which annoys such as tax disk holders or keyrings or naff valve caps}'

great! idea, I always wondered how to do that - thanks

although my personal favourite of sneaky locations was someone describing their item location as Lantau, United Kingdom...

"exclude items that are really being shipped from hong kong"

best clue is always look at the p+p cost, items from HK etc are always quite high, from UK they are more normal

a pet hate of mine is when someone sells 'buy it now' for eg 99p with a £20 p+p - now THAT is annoying :mad:

yes i got cought out. bougth something for 99p, thought it was a bargain until i got the ebay invoice (£15 postage from HK).... would be cheaper to buy it from dixons!

bought it to avoid getting neg feedback and what a surprise... it didnt work and was thrown in the bin aboutr a week later!

:rolleyes:

What is interesting, is that all these annoying things are against eBay T&C!

- 99p + 20£P? Attempt to dodge eBay end of auction fees by overcharging in postage

- NOT <insert irrelevant words here? Irrelevant words in item title (also, I've made it policy to include a "-not" in all my searches...)

And yes, I do agree that on eBay one shoudl read every single line, then highlight the whole page (CTRL+A in IE) and re-read it. (I've seen sellers using white or VERY light fonts to hide thin lines of text....). But its good to know that for once eBay is actually responding to the people who bother reporting items to them rather than just taking the item off and waiting for someone to report another item. If you want cheap item shipped from HK, then you can include international items. The buyer needs to be able to choose in the search; otherwise the seller is "misrepresenting" the items location.

Michele

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom