Eurocarparts sold me a dodgy part

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The thread title isn't accurate then?

Did ECP sell him a 'dodgy part'? Yes.

Did ECP offer to sort out the problem? Yes.

Did everyone jump on the OP because he dared to criticise a forum advertiser? Yes.

Note on his first post: 'What I would like to know though is how am I going to get a refund on this item? Will they say I'm to blame?'

Then note the first reply (which happens to be mine).

The first port of call should be the place you bought the part from.... nes pa?

The OP did not say anything that wasn't true. However there was a hidden assumption that the supplier will not resolve the issue - even before contacting them.

There would have been nothing wrong in saying 'ECP sold me a dodgy part, and while I can't fault their response - they replaced it no questions asked - I am still not impressed with the fact that this part was supplied by them in the first place, not to mention the inconvenience involved in sending it back'.

I think it's the underlying pre-assumption that his issue will not get resolved - before even contacting the supplier - that got people to respond they way they did.

Incidentally - I never bought anything from ECP. No special reason, I am sure they are good at what they do, I just never needed anything from them. I feel totally neutral about ECP being a sponsor.

Last edited:
I've got f@@king water coming in to my pride and joy car and can't get a response. A fantastic parts company who also offer us discount make a human error which is easily fixable and forum posts take off!

Anyway, huff over, found the solution to my water coming in........ In the solved section here. Haaaaa!

Did everyone jump on the OP because he dared to criticise a forum advertiser? Yes.

No, that's not it.

Lee, my response to the OP would have been exactly the same no matter who the retailer was.

If he had genuinely wanted to know how to deal with the situation he could easily have asked the question without mentioning the name of the retailer.

This makes for uncomfortable reading. The OP is under attack for making a statement of fact/truth. Similar threads are open in relation to ebay sellers etc with others agreeing and offering sympathy to the posters. I smell a heavy dose of hypocrisy in the air.

This makes for uncomfortable reading. The OP is under attack for making a statement of fact/truth. Similar threads are open in relation to ebay sellers etc with others agreeing and offering sympathy to the posters. I smell a heavy dose of hypocrisy in the air.

Note on his first post: 'What I would like to know though is how am I going to get a refund on this item? Will they say I'm to blame?' ....

Incidentally - I never bought anything from ECP. No special reason, I am sure they are good at what they do, I just never needed anything from them. I feel totally neutral about ECP being a sponsor.

This is the core of the issue - 'Will they say I'm to blame?' is not 'statement of fact/truth'.... it's a view that suggests that the retailer will not honour its commitments.

This is the core of the issue - 'Will they say I'm to blame?' is not 'statement of fact/truth'.... it's a view that suggests that the retailer will not honour its commitments.

Not correct. That is your interpretation of the OP's words which you have no need to interpret. By your argument somebody stating that "the sky is blue" would be read as suggestion that it is any other colour but blue.

Why are you not attacking the poster who states that an ebay seller can't be honest?

ECP have responded to the post and also explained how they are tackling the issue. That was my interpretation of what the OP wanted to have resolved. So all round a good result for both the OP and ECP.

This makes for uncomfortable reading. The OP is under attack for making a statement of fact/truth.
The OP is under attack for coming on here with an 'Oh woe is me' thread without doing the bleeding obvious, contacting the vendor to resolve the issue.

Similar threads are open in relation to ebay sellers etc with others agreeing and offering sympathy to the posters. I smell a heavy dose of hypocrisy in the air.

And these are tiresome too. In every one of the 'I hate ebay', 'ebay is ****ed' threads I will guarantee you neither the complainant nor the sympathisers have read, let alone followed, ebay's rules.

I smell a heavy does of 'artz' like ECP baiting in the air.

Last edited:
Not correct. That is your interpretation of the OP's words which you have no need to interpret. By your argument somebody stating that "the sky is blue" would be read as suggestion that it is any other colour but blue.

Why are you not attacking the poster who states that an ebay seller can't be honest?

ECP have responded to the post and also explained how they are tackling the issue. That was my interpretation of what the OP wanted to have resolved. So all round a good result for both the OP and ECP.

I did not personally attack anyone... and I would like to point out that my first post in reply to the OP was actually a sincere attempt to be helpful.

I was merely explaining why - or rather answering the question posed by some - the OP got the flack that he did. I did not personally participate in shooting him down though.

As for your point.... there is no issue with saying the 'sky is blue', because it either is or it isn't... but saying 'the met service will get it wrong by predicting it will rain tomorrow' incorporates a prediction of future events - or rather an assumption of future wrongdoing - so this is not a case of fact as the events did not actually happen yet and until they do it is not possible to say if it is 'true' or 'false'.

In the event, the prediction was incorrect, as ECP did step up - on Sunday night! - and promised to get it resolved to the OP's full satisfaction. I would have thought an apology was in order - for jumping into conclusions regarding the retailer's willingness to resolve the issue?

Last edited:
And with regards to suggesting that we are defending ECP because they are a forum sponsor... it is simply an Ad Hominem argument, the proof is that personally I have no interest whatsoever in EPC or in their business, and yet I can see why some members here were uncomfortable with the OP's post.

As for your point.... there is no issue with saying the 'sky is blue', because it either is or it isn't... but saying 'the met service will get it wrong by predicting it will rain tomorrow' incorporates a prediction of future events - or rather an assumption of future wrongdoing - so this is not a case of fact as the events did not actually happen yet and until they do it is not possible to say if it is 'true' or 'false'.

You demonstrate my point perfectly. Once again you choose to interpret what has been stated. I say the sky is blue, you talk about the the met office.

I also use ECP and have had nothing but good service from them.

brucemillar, that's not how I see it, but lets agree to disagree then... happy to leave it there.

You know, often it's not what people say but the way in which they say it. Even moreso when dealing with written text rather than the spoken word - devoid of both vocal inflection and visual cues.

As SPX has pointed out, the OP wasn't lying when he said "Eurocarparts sold me a dodgy part", but those very words carry the implication that it was done deliberately - as if they were hoping to get away with it.

I bit my tongue on this thread until the OP came back after the issue had been picked up by ECP - and had the temerity to suggest that it would not been resolved had he not posted about it here. That's just plain churlish - as markjay has said, the OP would have been better off eating a slice of humble pie, thanking ECP for their swift response and apologising for having doubted them in the first place.

For the record, I also have no connection with ECP, other than having bought an exhaust from them for my C-Class about six years ago...

Everyone, let's hear it for Euro Car Parts...... while folk pick and bicker, the world rotates and problems become solved, lessons learned and future experiences improved from it. Feeling the love today! ..... apart from I'd love someone to post images of the drain areas to be kept clear to prevent wet carpets in a W124 in the solved section.

Lee, my response to the OP would have been exactly the same no matter who the retailer was.

If he had genuinely wanted to know how to deal with the situation he could easily have asked the question without mentioning the name of the retailer.

I just feel a bit sorry for the bloke, he's put up a seemingly genuine problem and he's been pilloried.

It will just lead to people not posting problems just in case they get jumped on for having the temerity to ask what is a genuine question.

I did not intend it to sound that ecp would not resolve the issue if I hadn't have posted on here. If it sounds this way I apologise.

Sounds like it's all resolved now :) Everyone take a deep breath now. It's only the internet.

Well said. Now about those W124 drain areas....

Purchased a brand new item off ebay (made of fabric), arrived on saturday but appears used or has somehow picked up stains at the factory . Contacted the seller on the weekend saying I would like to return the item for a full refund due to the condition of the item and I had a reply earlier today apologising that it must have come from the suppliers like that and that they would refund me in full today and to keep the item.

All without needing to start a thread on a forum about it.

If the OP had done the same and ECP had questioned whether he had used the part or not accepted a return and he posted this thread for advice that would be understandable.

Last edited:

Ahhhh I was wondering when We would get blamed for this :wallbash:

I understand why some people would feel the question, or more so the wording is a bit harsh, however it was that exactly just words... - and on a forum, what makes sense in your head can sometimes come out incorrectly when typed (I've done it a thousand times!) Jay simply wanted an answer to a question, to which he did.

To be honest I saw it and jumped, (infact I got an Alert for the sentence) but once I read it (and the rest of you did) we all saw it was a horrible mistake, which is easily solved.

If anybody should be upset at the wording, it should be us, as it makes it looks like ECP sell dodgy parts - however I never once worried that any forum member would read this post and think the worst - simply because of our good reputation :eek:

Since speaking to Jay his problem has been solved, and he will soon be getting a phonecall from the lovely branch manager in his local branch, to arrange a swap over :thumb:

We've all said things in a rush before, and this post is just the same, there's probably hundreds of posts like this, I just don't want this to turn into a spam-fest because the post involved ECP

Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom