Formula 1 2020 (Will Contain Race Day Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
AND
Toto now has his fingers in quite a number of pies doesn't he...

Makes me wonder if Williams will in 2021 have Bottas as the No.1 driver with either Russell or Lattifi, and Vettel moving to MB F1? Alternatively, maybe move Bottas to Williams anyway as No.1 with Latifi, and move Russell to MB in the event the option to run Vettel doesn't quite land?

I really like VB, but only rate his chances of staying at MB for 2021 as 50:50 at best.

Monaco-The playground of the rich.

On BBC2 right now.

I can't believe this post dropped to page 5 - well actually, I can as not much has gone on...

On the plus side. Not long to go for the first race of the season :cool: it'll be an interesting one and we'll soon know if Ferrari were sand bagging and are genuinely useless at having a massive budget and producing a cr4p car. Personally, I'm looking forward to see how both Williams and McClaren will do.

I don't like the paint job over the air intake behind the driver’s head. I looked at the picture and thought they’d left a sheet of bubble wrap draped over the car..

Cheers,

Gaz

Ferrari forced to make a major redesign

Ferrari have been forced to make a major redesign of their car as a result of flaws discovered since it ran in pre-season testing in February.

Team boss Mattia Binotto said work on understanding why the car was off the pace led to a "significant change of direction in terms of development".
The result is the car will run in pre-season specification at this weekend's delayed season-opening race in Austria.

The upgrade is due to make its debut at the Hungarian Grand Prix on 17-19 July.

Binotto said the team had been forced to revise their approach to the car's aerodynamics following their investigation into its performance shortfall.

"We had to understand why we did not see the results we had expected on track and how much to recalibrate the whole programme as a result," Binotto said.

"It would have been counterproductive to continue in the direction we had planned, knowing that we would not have reached our goals.

"Therefore we decided to come up with a new programme that looked at the whole car, knowing that not all of it would be ready for the first race.

more...

Looks like they weren't sandbagging, just slow.

I will be in front of my TV on Friday morning to watch the first real F1 action in 2020.

The Red Bull ring (as it is now known) brings back a lot of mixed emotions and a place I’ve been going to for almost 40 years.
One of the lighter memories was coming out of a country restaurant to find a rival team manager’s rental car in an ‘elevated’ position on four stout beerhall tables……

In 1983 I was there with a pair of F3 cars supporting the GP. Martin Brundle and Allen Berg qualified and finished first and second beating local hero Gerhard Berger by a country mile.
Aug83 002.jpeg
Eddie pumps up Allen Berg whilst I check Martin is all good to go from pole position.

Jackie Stewart was overheard saying to Ken Tyrell that ‘that Brundle boy looks really good in a car to me’
Martin would be in a Tyrell in F1 car the following year.

Eddie Jordan, Martin and myself flew back on the Sunday evening with the rest of the team following by road on the Monday. However, as we got to work on Monday morning, we heard that our Mercedes transporter had run out of brakes on one of the mountain passes and plunged down a ravine. Martin’s number one mechanic Rob had been killed and two other crew members were in hospital. By lunchtime I was back at Heathrow and on my way to pick up the pieces…as it turned out, quite literally.
It was like an air crash. Just pieces. After the hospital visits, were worked in torrential rain to load any salvageable parts back on to a truck and return them to Silverstone. Our simple task then was to rebuild a team, a number of lives and 2 cars in 10 days to take on Ayrton Senna at the next British F3 round. We didn't win that one, but came second and stayed in the tile hunt. We were sure that is what Rob would have wanted.

In 1985 I was running a F3000 car, again supporting the GP. I looked up from my work in the paddock behind the pits to see Andrea De Crasheris cartwheeling his Ligier over the wet grass. He landed the right way up, got out the car and walked down past me, helmet in hand, to the F1 paddock. There was mud down the back of his overalls to the waist.
Five years previous to this, on my very first motor racing test session, I’d helped get him out of his F3 car on the wrong side of a spectator bank at Goodwood. He had ‘previous’ and would continue to have many more incidents, miraculously without major injury.

In 1997 I was doing a private test with Dr Thomas Becher in a McLaren GT. He would go on the be Chairman of Bugatti.
We had just concluded a good test when I had a phone call to say my 17 year old son had sustained serious leg injuries in a road motorcycle incident. I couldn’t get back until the following day so that became a very anxious night.
After a few operations and 8 weeks in plaster he made a recovery good enough to have a 20 year career in motorcycle racing. His worst injury on circuit was a trip to out patients to dress a grazed knuckle after getting it caught under the handle bars after a little ‘lowside’

So my experience is that it is safer to have incidents on the circuit than on the road.

I’m sure this weekend will not be incident free, lets just hope they are all safe ones.

The Secret Aerodynamicist

Could this be Ferrari's big redesign?
Entirely plausible.
The problem is that if you start at the front of the car with a concept which turns out to be not the very best, then you can rarely get away with just changing that part as the whole of the airflow aft of that point will be affected by it. You are likely to find that the parts of the aero at the centre and rear of the car do not play well with your new concept, or at least are 'sub-optimal'
So you end up revisiting, and in most cases redesigning, the whole of the aero licked surface of the car. This is where the costs start to rack up.
Motor racing is expensive. Now, how fast do you want to go? :dk:

Ferrari have the perfect chance to change their design for a couple of reasons.

1. The season hasn't started and they will only be 2 races with the old spec car
2. The cost cap isn't present this year and so they can spend what they like re-designing and developing a new car

Ferrari have the perfect chance to change their design for a couple of reasons.

1. The season hasn't started and they will only be 2 races with the old spec car
2. The cost cap isn't present this year and so they can spend what they like re-designing and developing a new car
I suspect that Bob Lazar would tell you that the covid epidemic has actually been managed by the FIA (Ferrari International Assistance) in Italy in order that the Scuderia has time to catch up.......... :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom