Home HiFi - what`s your poison?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My home gear started off with various bits, such as Ferrograph amp and stuff, then went a bit Japanese with Aiwa and Technichs, now we are back to TEAK professional series, dragging the old Technichs SLQ200 turntable out of the loft and upgraded drivers in the Mission 700 speakers and a KEF PSW 1000 - 250W sub.

All in a good sound, it is very clear yet can go very low. The standard drivers go down to 20Hz, the sub a bit lower, which fills the sound even when run at very low power.

Last edited:
renault12ts said:
...I had a black one.

I've had a silver XR3 a white XR3i (the one that got swapped for the cassette deck) and a white 1600i cab

In my defence this was a long time ago

BernardB said:
I'd be interested to know if you home audiophiles are equally fastidious about your car hifi.

I wouldn't call myself am audiophile especially compared to some on here but I did go through a stage of going mad with the set up in a car, a 325i E30 BMW. It was all stealth and set up for quality rather than out and out volume, it me with half the boot space and I was constantly adjusting the crossovers to suit the music I was playing. In the end it drove me mad.

These days as long as it sounds half decent I leave well alone

I'd be interested to know if you home audiophiles are equally fastidious about your car hifi.

Not at all.

Car audio has not got a chance to recreate music properly as it is, at best, multi-channel and, at worst, in the wrong acoustic environment with the speakers in all the wrong places.

Hifi enthusiasts may argue otherwise about bass reproduction, faux imagery and 'attack' but anybody that has ever actually cared to listen to the tunes that musicians play will appreciate that a car audio system will struggle to achieve this in any way, shape or form.

Any association of a premium audio brand with a premium car brand is only to gain exposure to have the same brand in the home of the car owner.

Linn, Naim, Burmeister etc.

Not at all.

Car audio has not got a chance to recreate music properly as it is, at best, multi-channel and, at worst, in the wrong acoustic environment with the speakers in all the wrong places.

Hifi enthusiasts may argue otherwise about bass reproduction, faux imagery and 'attack' but anybody that has ever actually cared to listen to the tunes that musicians play will appreciate that a car audio system will struggle to achieve this in any way, shape or form.

Any association of a premium audio brand with a premium car brand is only to gain exposure to have the same brand in the home of the car owner.

Linn, Naim, Burmeister etc.
Thanks to all who've replied to my question, which I asked because my views are the same as LTD's.

I have 2 x SL1210 MK2 in road ready flight cases
& 2 BOXED 1200GLD Rare
set up in home studio with my DJM2000 & CDJ2000
pumped through B&W 603 speakers
pictures later

vinyl I have tons of it
rare modern soul northern etc
which commands a bob or two
http://www.discogs.com/Charles-John...Cried-Never-Had-A-Love-So-Good/release/723983 paid £25 in 1981 for this

Project turntable.
Marantz CD52 SE.
Rotel tuner.
Technics SUA 900 Mk2 amp.
Dynaudio 52SE speakers.
Apollo 12mm glass spiked rack.
Dreadnought spiked stands.
QED interconnects and cables (matched lengths).

If ever you want to part with that Technics amp John ... ;)

studio in the conservatory doubles up as a disco room LoL

Last edited:
Whilst we are at it, my CD player, a Arcam Alpha 8SE which is so old I cannot remember when I purchased it, is as of an hour ago dead.

As in flash fizzle phut tripped the breakers. Now wholly inoperable. The disc tray has been a bit erratic for some time anyway.

So what to replace it with up to about £500?

Would run through being Arcam FMJ amp, B&W CM1 speakers with a REL subwoofer.

Mmmm... good acoustics there, I'm sure.

:)

Actually have studio upstairs sound proofed
conny is more of games room LoL:D

Whilst we are at it, my CD player, a Arcam Alpha 8SE which is so old I cannot remember when I purchased it, is as of an hour ago dead.

As in flash fizzle phut tripped the breakers. Now wholly inoperable. The disc tray has been a bit erratic for some time anyway.

If you want a CD player then the Marantz CD6005 at about £350 has received some good reviews. Alternatively, this could be the spur for you to go the Streaming route and rip your CD collection to FLAC files? Personally that's the route I took a couple of years ago and while I still have my Arcam Alpha 9 CD spinner, I haven't used it since.

NEW YEARS EVE SPECIAL

KoFidee Grantmi-awish n guests
playing the best of Neo, Modern soul,Northern soul,Jazz funk n rare grooves on vinyl & Compact Disc (mainstream choons thrown in for the average Joe bloggs)10k rig

Brewers Fayre ? Home Farm ? Hull | Bookatable

31st December 2104 Holme farm Hessle 8:30 p.m. till 3a.m
£20 on the door includes buffet (brewers fayre)
accommodation on site premier inn

Last edited:

Linn Mimik Cd Player | eBay

Just as an update to this , I just acquired a Quad 77 CD player . Saw it on eBay , put in a silly bid and won it for a song !

It arrived at the end of last week and I've been playing with it these last two days since I'm off using up annual leave and it's too cold to do anything car related outside .

Installation was as easy as could be by simply plugging in the supplied Quadlink cable to connect it to my 77 preamp , this supplies power to the player from the preamp and provides balanced audio out to the preamplifier .

Although , compared to my Sony DVD player which I was hitherto using to play CD's , track access is somewhat slow , and the transport seems quite basic and clunky , it does integrate well into the Quad system and can be controlled by the Quad system remote control , as well as appearing on the bus and leaving a previously used phono input available for something else .

On listening , the player does not draw attention to itself , but after a while you become aware that it is a very competent performer with excellent sound staging and a smooth , unfussed sound that is simply all about the music .

I like it - a lot . Just need to look for a 77 FM tuner to complete the system ..... and maybe a pair of ESL's :devil:

A few pictures

Still have my Yamaha CR 2020. 100w pc receiver. Acquired new in 1976 and still going strong, albeit relegated to my bedroom system now. Still have the original box and owner's manual. Had a thorough refurb by Avondale Audio a couple of years ago. Magic piece of kit.

Yamaha CR-2020 on thevintageknob.org

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom