How many V8 engined cars have you owned and what's your favourite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just the one.

W220 S500L

Fantastic car and I’d love to have another S-Class grace my life again.

Not an "S" - an automatic.

Back in 1978, my taste in cars was not commensurate with my income. 5 Star consumed at 17 mpg was unsustainable.

The Rover did, however, precede the SAAB 99 Turbo...

View attachment 90311
Oh, just realised I had forgotten I also had one of these when I posted I had had 3. Was actually 4 ,
Had one for about 2 years as a second car for my wife, a great drive and as I had a 1300 Cortina ( Mk 2 ) at the time as a company car there was always an argument at the weekend when I wanted to drive it, divorce followed so my wife kept it :eek:

Thirteen I think.

3x Range Rover Classics (3.5 carb, 3.5 early injection, 3.9 EFI)
Rover SD1 (3.5 Twin Plenum Vitesse)
Lexus LS (4.0)
420SE (W126)
CLK55
E430 Wagon
E55 Kompressor Wagons x2
CL500
E63 Wagon (S212 6.2)
GL63

Looking through the list it’s just occurred to me that I think I’ve owned the majority of V8 configurations. Two, three and four valves per cylinder, carbureted, fuel injected (mechanical and EFI), naturally aspirated and forced induction (supercharged and turbocharged), three and a half litres up to the wonderful 6.2 M156 AMG lump :cool:

And a hundred and thirty odd horsepower up to 525hp naturally aspirated or 557hp for the GL (twin turbos).

Have never had a diesel V8 though. In fact, I’ve never bought a single diesel car ever! I did have one of my V8s running on gas though (LPG) which was the perfect daily driver :)

Funny thing is I never had myself down as a V8 person really but I guess they creep up on you over the years. Eight of them were Mercedes too.

In recent times I think I’m glad I got to own the ‘63s (6.2 and 5.5) before we all start to move towards smaller engines, hybrids and EVs eventually. Some great memories of some of those cars but probably my favourites through the years were the SD1 Vitesse, the CLK55 and my E55Ks. The ‘63s are both decent, certainly the 6.2 has the most character whilst my current 5.5 M157 is a very capable unit - although I’m not sure it will have the same place in history as the original 63 AMGs!

There’s just something about that naturally aspirated 6208cc engine that we will never see (or hear!) the likes of again.

Just the one, a Daimler 2.5 (Mk2 Jag shape) in white which sadly succumbed to dissimilar metal voltaic corrosion. An iron block, copper head gaskets and aluminium heads eventually gave way in a cloud of steam. 17mpg on a long run.

Rover P6 3500s manual box
MGB V8
Triumph Stag
Rover SDI Vanden Plas manual box
Land Rover 111a Converted by me
Jaguar STR

Only two V8s - C43 (W202) and SLK55. I think of the two, the C43 is the one I miss the most, although I kept the SLK for longer - 8 years, the longest I've kept any of my cars.

I have tried a lot of engine configurations over the years though:

In-line twin
In-line triple
In-line four
Flat four
In-line 5
V5
In-line 6
V6
V8

Single and twin cylinder bikes.

I'm thinking that I still need to squeeze in a flat 6, a V12 and maybe a rotary in at some point. The search continues..

Cheers,

Gaz

Previous V8's were 1998 Jaguar XJ 4 litre Sovereign, 2000 Jaguar XJ 4.0 Sovereign, 2003 Jaguar XJ 3.5SE, 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland,
Current V8's are 2004 Jaguar XJ Super V8, 2008 Mercedes GL420, 2015 Mercedes S500,

So a total of 7 vehicles, I guess the favourite from the V8 burble point of view has to be the Jeep GC, for the noise from inside the car it has to be the whine from the Supercharged Jaguar but for the overall car in all aspects it has to be the Mercedes S500.

My dad owned an SD1 back in the day also. That was a brute.

Regarding the E53 X5 I wished I had gone for the 4.6is as that was the alpina block of that era. I was so let down with the 4.8is model I had. From the day bought it I had constant trouble went back to the dealer for 2 weeks still come back with faults. It put me off big engined cars for 4/5 years. Was stressful that car was glad to get shot of lt. That's when I got the E39 2.8 straight 6. That is still going strong. I say big engines the 2.8 isn't small lol.

It's not a V8 but the 320 CDI is some engine it has to be said. That just pulls pulls and pulls. Has to use it last week to commute as my van was in for some work. 4 people and a boot full of tools and pulled like a locomotive :D.

I would like to own the E500 one day. In estate form. That might be my next 2nd car. :thumb:

Only two V8's despite the dozens of others.
An E55 saloon which I loved, but has been bettered by an E63 Biturbo. Two great cars I have had the pleasure of owning.

Only 2.
Cerbera 4.5
Currently R230 500.

645Ci
Cayenne Turbo
Maserati GTS 4.7
CLS55 (current)

I liked them all and couldn't compare as they are such different cars - each special in it's own way!

Only two for me.

TVR V8S

TVR Griffith 500.

They were both my favourites.

ML430 W163
ML500 W163
CLK55 W208
SL500 R129
SL55 R230
SL55 R230 (still have)
ML500 W164
ML63 W164
ML63 W166
GLC63s W253 (still have)

Love them all. I have the two I like the most currently :). Although perhaps the first SL55 is extra special as it was the first car that "surprised' other people when I was accelerating quickly .. much like the GLC63s !!

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom