How many V8 engined cars have you owned and what's your favourite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just the two for me: a Staaaaag - my 30th birthday present to myself - and my current CLS500SB. Which is my favourite? A really difficult question. Both had just two previous owners, both had about 50k miles on them, both had been nursed by their previous owners, both immaculate and both fantastic fun with a soundtrack to bring a smile on the greyest day.

020_17A.JPG
a65449da-1255-440b-9e9a-78af47251bfa.jpg

First one was a Rover P6 3500S (manual) whilst still in my teens and have had at least one (often a few) ever since, with the odd short break once or twice, when V6s have filled-in. Most were long-term cars.
Rover SD1s (a few over many years)
Mercedes 450SLC
Westfield Seight
Range Rover P38
TVR Chimaera (still have after 15+years)
Rolls Royce Silver Shadow 11 (as above)

All very good, if quite different; might be one or two missed off the list.

Just the two for me: a Staaaaag - my 30th birthday present to myself - and my current CLS500SB. Which is my favourite? A really difficult question. Both had just two previous owners, both had about 50k miles on them, both had been nursed by their previous owners, both immaculate and both fantastic fun with a soundtrack to bring a smile on the greyest day.

View attachment 90355
View attachment 90356
Does the Staaaag have the original Triumph V8 or the Rover version?

Does the Staaaag have the original Triumph V8 or the Rover version?
I would have nothing else. It was the original two Dolomite engines stuck together with bostick. As the previous owners were both engineers (and, as it happens, next door neighbours), it was in perfect condition, both mechanically and cosmetically.

Oh Bugger! What's the reliability of the M273 like compared to the M113? Any balancer shaft problems, for a start?

Early M273 engines had an issue with premature wear of the timing gear which cropped up from time to time. The potentially affected engine numbers are available in a thread somewhere. I’ve no idea whether that presents a risk when buying second hand (i.e. by now maybe any problem engine would have long since showed the fault?) but I do know that Terry at WG has repaired some and so is sure to be able to offer advice.

Anyway, in my view it’s a fab engine, I love it! (Built in 2010, mine is a late example well after the affected ones.)

Oh, and to answer the OP’s question, just this one. Relatively mundane compared to many of the wonderful cars listed above, but it more than does the job. I came late to the party so it’s probably my first and last V8, the way things are going.

Chevrolet Malibu classic
Jeep Cherokee 4 liter
Current r129
Cayenne S 4.8 (2008)

All very nice cars but can only compare the 2 current ones. R129 is much smoother than the Porsche engine. No lag and nicer sound despite the sports exhaust on the cayenne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh Bugger! What's the reliability of the M273 like compared to the M113? Any balancer shaft problems, for a start?
M273 doesn't have a balance shaft. The V6 needs it to smooth out vibrations because it's essentially the same 90 degree V8 with 2 cylinders chopped off.

The early 273's still have a dodgy timing gear though. I would be interested to know how much they cost to replace as wouldn't mind a CLS or CLK 500.

View attachment 90355
View attachment 90356

When I was a kid the sound of a V8 Stag was a thing of wonder.

When I was a kid the sound of a V8 Stag was a thing of wonder.
That's exactly what did it for me. My mum wanted one because they were pretty and I didn't pay much attention to them. Then, when I was 7, I heard one drive past and I promised myself I would have one one day.

One one V8 here - BMW 735i E38

DSCF5822.jpg

That's exactly what did it for me. My mum wanted one because they were pretty and I didn't pay much attention to them. Then, when I was 7, I heard one drive past and I promised myself I would have one one day.

The fact they also looked amazing was a bonus :)

Just the one,w219 cls500 so that's my favourite

3 for me

W126 380sel M116
R129 500 M119
V140 500 M119
The M119 is a great engine, a little low on torque but that's probably due to having to lug around such heavy cars.
It's a bit quiet in standard form but sounds good when revved.

I liked the sound of the m116 when revved hard. So would pick that

Is it wrong that I've gone from wanting another V8 to wanting an electric car more?:eek:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom