• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How much do you spend on gas each day?

You may be surprised! In Barbados, I was paying over $100 a month for water. When they changed the meter, it went down to $25. Meters sometimes fail, my gas meter here failed to register any usage whatsoever, which resulted in an interesting conversation with BG!
The meters being replaced were only installed in August, just 3 months of use. Now relaxed though so I’ll soon find out if things have changed.

Reactions: JHS
It’s very dark and very cold ;)
🤣🤣 Not really, on a good tariff with a nice subsidy from the Gomment,( not included the winter fuel payment of £200 either) and careful not to waste energy, but not obsessive. I need every penny to feed my C250d !!!
ps. There is also a Pensioner cost of living allowance of £150/£300 that I forgot about.

Last edited:
🤣🤣 Not really, on a good tariff with a nice subsidy from the Gomment,( not included the winter fuel payment of £200 either) and careful not to waste energy, but not obsessive. I need every penny to feed my C250d !!!
ps. There is also a Pensioner cost of living allowance of £150/£300 that I forgot about.
That's the style buddy . Every little helps.

New meters were installed yesterday, and I don’t want to jump to conclusions too soon but today we have used just £9.32 of gas, which is half of the £18.00-18.50 we’ve been spending for the last 3 weeks since we moved in. Schedules are the same.

New meters were installed yesterday, and I don’t want to jump to conclusions too soon but today we have used just £9.32 of gas, which is half of the £18.00-18.50 we’ve been spending for the last 3 weeks since we moved in. Schedules are the same.
Thats better, on Sunday I used £3.74 in gas so you must be in a much bigger house than me.

Did a quick experiment today. Last night I changed the heating to be always-on, with the thermostats set to either 18 or 20 degrees C depending upon the zone.

The smart meter displays cost of energy since midnight, and I just checked at 2230 when the coat today was £37.66 for gas, that’s £40.17. I think electricity was £6.70.

It’s a comfortable temperature throughout the house now, so it will be interesting to see whether it costs less tomorrow to maintain the temperature.

At £40 per day the experience by won’t last long! 😁

Did a quick experiment today. Last night I changed the heating to be always-on, with the thermostats set to either 18 or 20 degrees C depending upon the zone.

The smart meter displays cost of energy since midnight, and I just checked at 2230 when the coat today was £37.66 for gas, that’s £40.17. I think electricity was £6.70.

It’s a comfortable temperature throughout the house now, so it will be interesting to see whether it costs less tomorrow to maintain the temperature.

You must live in a street of your own 🤣

My last gas bill worked out at £30.05 per WEEK.

Aren't you supposed to leave it to ticking over all day, not at 18 - 20C, that's full blast in my house, infact it will never reach that level here.
I leave mine on at a low of 14C during the day for the bedroom otherwise it won't get to 17C in the evening..
It fires up 2 or 3 times if the sun's not out.

Yesterday it was on for 4.5hrs, if I don't leave it on low it will be on for the full 7hrs that the schedule asks for (hive system) trying to get the temps up.

One thing I have just tried is foil insulation behind the rads on an uninsulated outside solid stone wall.
Done just 1 so far and what a difference, rather than being warm to the touch this rad (a large double) is too hot to touch - set to 65C. It warms up quicker and the return temp it's hotter earlier so now I have dropped it a couple of degrees.

Got 4 more to do this week..

I've lived in the same 2000 ft2 house for 30 years and have records of gas and electricity usage from the day we moved in. I suppose you could call that a long term experiment.

The first year was the highest consumption which at todays subsidised tariff would be £3574 per year for gas alone. We are down to less than 1/3rd of that now the kids have gone and with insulation improvements. However, I know from observation that peak winter usage never exceeded 200 KWh per day which at 10.32 p/KWh is £20.64 per day. Working back from your £37.66 your daily consumption represents 365 KWh. That is a huge heat input. If your £37.66 doesn't fall dramatically on the following days, I struggle to believe there isn't something wrong somewhere.

I just worked out our total gas & electricity usage over the last year, to validate our monthly payments. Based on the current tariffs, gas would come to £4.48 per day and electricity £1.35. A total average monthly cost of £177, versus OVO's stated minimum of £189 (our current direct debit amount).

Obviously there's a lot of seasonal variation - we get much less solar electricity and water heating in winter. Our smart gas meter (SMETS2, less than 2 years old) isn't communicating with anything, so I can't get 'live' data for that :rolleyes:

Has anyone got an easy idiot proof way to calculate from my gas and electric meter readings (no smart meters) what my daily/weekly costs might be ?
I am with EDF after my previous supplier went bust and they only bill every 6 months , next is in the spring :oops:

Has anyone got an easy idiot proof way to calculate from my gas and electric meter readings (no smart meters) what my daily/weekly costs might be ?
I am with EDF after my previous supplier went bust and they only bill every 6 months , next is in the spring :oops:

You need to know the tariff(s) you are on - for me there's a standing charge of 27.12p per day for gas and 46.80p per day for electricity. Then gas is charged at 9.83p per kWh used, and electricity at 32.11p per kWh used. Check your latest bill and/or EDF's website for the rates that apply to you.

Electricity is easy because the meter reads in kWh, so your usage for a given period is just the current reading minus the previous one.

For gas the 'units' shown on the meter have to be converted into kWh. This calculation will be detailed on every bill, but will be something like: units used x 39.1 x 1.02264 / 3.6. '39.1' is an example - this represents the average calorific value of the gas you've received during the period, and will vary slightly from one bill to the next.

Does that help?

6 monthly bills 😲That be like being on death row :-)

6 monthly bills 😲That be like being on death row :)
It is what it is really , I’ve insulated the sh&t out of the house and Draught proofed everything that doesn’t move .
The log burner is in daily action and we have decided that when we run the heating we set it to 17 degrees which is ok for us with a fleece on .
Ive done all I can so the bill will be what it is ;)

It is what it is really , I’ve insulated the sh&t out of the house and Draught proofed everything that doesn’t move .
The log burner is in daily action and we have decided that when we run the heating we set it to 17 degrees which is ok for us with a fleece on .
Ive done all I can so the bill will be what it is ;)

Log burner must be a good option in this present time ,. Wish I had one .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom