• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How much do you spend on gas each day?

I've lived in the same 2000 ft2 house for 30 years and have records of gas and electricity usage from the day we moved in. I suppose you could call that a long term experiment.

The first year was the highest consumption which at todays subsidised tariff would be £3574 per year for gas alone. We are down to less than 1/3rd of that now the kids have gone and with insulation improvements. However, I know from observation that peak winter usage never exceeded 200 KWh per day which at 10.32 p/KWh is £20.64 per day.
That’s really helpful, thank you.

Four bed detached, new build, Hive heating with two thermostats (upstairs and downstairs).

Heating set to 18c, comes on in morning and afternoon. Hot water similar.

£4.50 - £5.00 per day. Standard variable gas tariff.

Last week was £29.74 on gas.

Maybe worth downloading Hugo app to see your usage.

Four bed detached, new build, Hive heating with two thermostats (upstairs and downstairs).

Heating set to 18c, comes on in morning and afternoon. Hot water similar.

£4.50 - £5.00 per day. Standard variable gas tariff.

Last week was £29.74 on gas.

Maybe worth downloading Hugo app to see your usage.
That's interesting - ours is quite a bit more than that. 4 bed (i guess it's a large 4 bed, could easily be 5 or more) and although part is 1930's it was all re-done (insulated, all walls etc skimmed) in 2008 so shouldn't be too bad. It's really useful to see what other folks costs are - i know you can't compare like for like but to get a ballpark is good.

I did notice yesterday we were losing a lot of heat through the front door. It's the original 1930's one with art deco stained glass at the top so i'm loathe to change it - the bottom has warped slightly but managed to cure most of the heat loss with some judicious sticking of draught excluder foam strip!

Aren't you supposed to leave it to ticking over all day, not at 18 - 20C, that's full blast in my house, infact it will never reach that level here.
I leave mine on at a low of 14C during the day for the bedroom otherwise it won't get to 17C in the evening..
It’s on all day to see how much energy it uses to keep a comfortable temperature.

We had Nest in our old house (waiting for installation in our new house) which meant that our heating was always on and it adjusted itself based upon efficiency and comfort.

I’m tempted to look into a thermal imaging camera to work out where the heat is going!

What I would like is weather compensation for the heating flow temperature so it changes from 50C to 65C depending on the outside temp - that would help save gas.

But for some reason you can't have both the hive system and a weather compensator plugged in at the same time. You would think it could be built into the hive system using local online data..

I’m tempted to look into a thermal imaging camera to work out where the heat is going!
I know where our electricity is going. My Wife is always leaving the lights on. And for some reason our house has about a million lights. I might just flip the switches in the fuse box and buy her a head torch!

I know where our electricity is going. My Wife is always leaving the lights on.

Hopefully all LED ones though?

I have the same problem with my teenage son.

So far, I've had around 30 trees felled over the past 10 years plus another half dozen reduced in size. Not free - I'm charged £4 - 500 each go - and I've got to chop it up! Shreddings go on flowerbeds as weed suppressant. Always hold two years' supply of wood.

1670448640473.png
Two woodburners - the inset AGA (cast iron) on the right easily lasts all night and sparks up in the morning like a gas fire. The traditional one on left is steel, rated at 7kw, but will die in a few hours if not fed. Can't sit in the room when it's going flat out!

Oil central heating has averaged c.2000 litres per year, and leccy is £41 pm until August 2023.

So far, I've had around 30 trees felled over the past 10 years plus another half dozen reduced in size. Not free - I'm charged £4 - 500 each go - and I've got to chop it up! Shreddings go on flowerbeds as weed suppressant. Always hold two years' supply of wood.

View attachment 134631
Two woodburners - the inset AGA (cast iron) on the right easily lasts all night and sparks up in the morning like a gas fire. The traditional one on left is steel, rated at 7kw, but will die in a few hours if not fed. Can't sit in the room when it's going flat out!

Oil central heating has averaged c.2000 litres per year, and leccy is £41 pm until August 2023.
One day I'll be able to afford the rest of the carpet...

Like you, the wood is free but hard work...

Attachments

• 20221210_205242.jpg
    20221210_205242.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211022_155149.jpg
    20211022_155149.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 20211006_131441.jpg
    20211006_131441.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Are these stove-top fans effective? I considered one in the past but they seem to be a fearful price for all they appear to be
Works well, I'm sure I paid no more than £30 for mine, I use it to project heat out the door to the hallway and up the staires, to the kitchen at the end of the lounge, or as today, point it at the washing on the airer..

Am so glad I haven’t got a Smart meter , can keep the thermostats and tvr’s cranked up in blissful ignorance of what it might be costing 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom