HOW-TO: Replacing fuel tank strainer in W124/W210 estate (Diesel)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recently needed to remove the tank from my W/S/T 210 & hadn't got an allen key of the right size, so i made mine out of an old bolt (the type that hold your seat belts to the body) welded to an offcut of flat steel. My 210 being a petrol, my strainer was perfectly clean,none of that filth diesels get :D

i took my tank filter out today, the car originally had a tow bar fitted so im sure its never been taken out.( i took the towbar off as i dont need it)
i didnt have a new one so i put a bucket under it and quickly took it out and stuffed an old rag in the hole. The filter was totally black and all gummed up...uck..! anyway washed it under some hot water and fairy liquid and it came up new again.
and yes when you take it out the fuel pores out so be ready......!

1990 300td estate diesel

i took my tank filter out today, the car originally had a tow bar fitted so im sure its never been taken out.( i took the towbar off as i dont need it)
i didnt have a new one so i put a bucket under it and quickly took it out and stuffed an old rag in the hole. The filter was totally black and all gummed up...uck..! anyway washed it under some hot water and fairy liquid and it came up new again.
and yes when you take it out the fuel pores out so be ready......!

1990 300td estate diesel

hi

this time when i checked the strainer, yes it did pour out. I assume last time as the tank was so low on fuel anyway, the pressure wasnt there so it didnt drain so quickly....

anyway, a very good tip about blocking it with an old rag whilst you get it cleaned/replaced. A tip i'll use for next time i check :thumb:

Fuel tank removal

Here's a good link on how to get to the strainer on a saloon. It's a bit more involved than the estate, though if you're running on veg, and you want to keep microbe growth at bay, seems to be a good weekend project.

I believe you don't have to remove the tank completely on a saloon, just prop it up to get enough space to access the strainer. Could be wrong...

Btw, 50/50 svo veg/derv in summer and 30/70 throughout this hard winter without modification/problems. :rock:

That sludge in the tank after veg oil use

This is quite well known in the states.

Apparently it is a specific chemical reaction between the veg*** and the tank lining****

*** veg, unknown whether pure virgin pressed or old chip fat with additives and contaminants.

**** lining, seems to vary from tank to tank and model to model, even coke cans are lined.

what happens is something in the veg reacts with the tank lining, converts it into sludge and strips it off.

apparently it is not a catalytic reaction, it stops when all the tank lining has been consumed.

tank lining is to prevent problems with condensate in fuel reacting with the metal tank walls.

so if this happens, and you get much condensation in your tank, it will promote the tank rusting from the inside out.

HTH, YMMV etc

I posted yesterday about a simalar thing, my C270 CDI 2003 has had the same problem though it has got worse it cuts out at around 3/4 no instead of 1/4 full, when adding a gallon or so it usually starts...............is this the same problem and if so where is the strainer in the saloon?

I posted yesterday about a simalar thing, my C270 CDI 2003 has had the same problem though it has got worse it cuts out at around 3/4 no instead of 1/4 full, when adding a gallon or so it usually starts...............is this the same problem and if so where is the strainer in the saloon? It has the same issue of seemingly run out of Diesel.....

DIY 22mm Allen Key

Here's what I used to remove the plug:
1x M14/ 22mm AF bolt
2x M14/ 22mm AF nuts

22mm.jpg

Lock the 2 nuts together first, then use the bolt head in the allen socket, and a ring spanner on the inner nut when undoing, outer nut when tightening.
Worked a treat and only cost £1.53 from my local nut & bolt store.

fantastic post, time I order one of these badboys.....

hopefully my local stealer has one in stock :thumb:

No need to buy if your car runs fine. I swaed mine but it looked fine and it wasnt changed since new (had undercoating on it). Just wash it well and remember to not remove when you have tank full of fuel.

Yeah, I should add that my strainer was clear, but when upgrading the fuel lines I found that most of the clips were loose and air must have been getting drawn in. I've done 400+ miles since doing the work and no problems so far.

Here's what I used to remove the plug:
1x M14/ 22mm AF bolt
2x M14/ 22mm AF nuts

22mm.jpg

Lock the 2 nuts together first, then use the bolt head in the allen socket, and a ring spanner on the inner nut when undoing, outer nut when tightening.
Worked a treat and only cost £1.53 from my local nut & bolt store.

Brilliant. I couldn't find one, so I'll make one just like yours.

Do you still have the photos for this thread SilverSaloon? Could really do with seeing them.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom