Howto: Lubricate the windscreen wiper mechanism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also now on my list for this weekend, well revived :thumb:

For those who have a pre 1993, all alloy style mechanism, here's a comprehensive PDF on how to get at it:
web.mac.com/dakota/Mercedes/Projects_files/MonoWiperv2a_1.pdf

It looks a lot of work; is there a way of lubing it with the mechanism in-situ?

No, you can do it without taking it all apart but you still need to remove the complete unit first. I removed mine in about 20mins. Once it is off the car you can squirt loads of spray grease in the screw holes underneath :)

Just done the c43 this worked a treat thanks for the following tip to del320 all done in 5 minutes

On my 124, I simply press the centre of the cover down firmly with both thumbs (approx. centre left of the greasy paw prints on P of D's last photo) and pull on the edge with 2nd and 3rd fingers.

It pops off, a bit like opening a carton of ice-cream, literally in half a second - even with the bonnet shut!

There have been many threads on this topic - and it's good advice.

Last edited:
Hi all
I would like to comment on Parrots excellent thread as Alex has said the mechanism is significantly different from the one shown above compared to my 1994 C180 W202

The correct method to remove the large cover is to remove the hex screw with an allan key, see attached Pic C then pull the wiper arm away from the mechanism cover, it’s a tight fit so use a couple of jerks…if the don’t work try a couple of yanks, protect the windscreen with a thick cloth on top of thick cardboard to prevent brakage/scratching, there is a heavy spring under the wiper arm & mind your knuckles Refit in reverse order and don’t forget the hex screw. The hex screw can be better seen on Parrots 3rd Pic down immediately above the screwdriver

The lazy / quick method which I prefer is after removing the cover (Pic A is the cover in its original factory state) cut a groove as in Pic B which will negate the need to remove the wiper arm in future and makes the job much quicker and encourages frequent greasing of the mechanism.

The job takes me about 5 minutes about 4 to 5 times a year using ordinary general purpose grease.

As far as I know the stealers never grease the mechanism, it certainly is not in the scope of work in the maintenance booklet, it mentions Wipers yes but I don’t think the ever grease the mechanism, that’s why failure of the wiper mechanism is so common If this job isn’t done regularly the mechanism will dry out and cause extra strain on a weak compression joint inside the rear of wiper mechanism, seen in Pic D This was the cause of the failure of my wiper mechanism

Sorry I have no proper camera so used phone camera

Dec

What is heavy spring under the wiper arm ??

just wanted to add my thanks for this extremely helpful guide. Slow wipers on 1994 W124 fixed in literally 10 mins using the 'opening ice cream carton' method. Definately helps access if bonnet pushed back to 'maintainence position'.

I too experienced the slowing wiper mechanism and it was greased at the last service. This, however, did not have much of an effect. Luckily, the mechanism cover was not completely pressed backed and so I learnt the "icecream" method. The plastic cover actually goes around the the whole wiper arm in a ring and so I made one cut in the underside of the plastic ring to prise the cover completely off. Then I played around with stopping the wiper in different positions and removing all the old dirty grease and put a bit of vaseline on some of the moving parts. Strangely, this did not make a great deal of difference. However, I then used some WD40 on some of the more inaccessible moving bits and left it for 20 minutes. Things improved rapidly after that and today the wiper literally flew across the screen. All thoughts of a new or second hand mechanism have completely disappeared. My suggestions are:-
1 A cut through the plastic ring means you don't have to take the wiper arm off.
2 Remove and thoroughly clean everything before adding a little new grease.
3 Take the time to put a little WD40 on the more difficult to reach moving bits.
Regards
Les

%100 make sure that all wires are clip into the correct channel and secure, otherwise it wont take long for the wires to get chewed up by the wiper mechanism

This might be the answer to a different question but.....I checked and lubed the mechanism on my W210 because I was trying to stop the juddering of the wiper blade. No lube required, but did it anyway. It still juddered.

Then I bought an MB genuine blade. The genuine rubber is as soft as sh1t; and so does not judder as it sheers up/down the screen as the blade sweeps across.

It did it for me!

Earlier wipers with alloy top

Hi all, my solution for the pre plastic covers ie aluminium was to drill a small hole in the base of the cover just big enough to allow the straw of a white grease aerosol to pass through. Bish bash bosh. Job done.

Great guide. Just bought a CLK320 and did this yesterday and the wiper is much smoother now. Thanks.

Adjusting the // wiper mechanism guide bars

Folks

I have stripped and greased the wiper mech on '95 A124.

The rollers are quite loose in the parallel bars, maybe 1mm side to side.

Is there a defined process for resetting the bars to eliminate play and ensure the smooth operation ?

Chopps

Sorry Chopper Harris (great name!) - I don't know the answer to that one but wanted to add what a great thread this is, (as is the forum). It's true, they don't do these wiper lubes in the main dealerships - but they should. I'm going to do it on my newly acquired w210 on the weekend (good excuse to escape the madness of the house for half an hour!)

I have noticed the last couple of days that my wipers are not juddering but making a noise so I will have to try to grease and lubricate mine as soon as the weather gets a bit better.

My wiper mech was quite noisy (was loud when going over the centre section. I followed this guide, and indeed the grease had gone off and was hard, also, there was a fair amount of dirt present.

I gave it a good spray with Maintenance Spray (WD40 or similar) to clean the old grease and dirt away, then coated everything with fresh multipurpose grease, and a good spray with high quality chain lube (only used this because I can "borrow" cans from work ;)) to get at the bits I can't reach.

Hey presto, like a bought one, I'm well happy :rock:

My Wiper has a problem too!

I have read this thread with interest and can indeed take all the covers and other bits off quite easily (helped by a bit of profanity). I have cleaned and greased the sliding up and down bit, reset it to start in the right place and run it for a good half hour with the wiper blade off!!!
As soon as I put the wiper blade on the in and out motion becomes confused and the end of the wiper is hitting the sides of the screen and is now pushing the rubber out of the way.
So is there some sort of clutch system in the motor itself that needs tightening up or is this a new motor situation. If there is merely a bit that is worn I can make a new one as I have a lathe and milling machine for my steam engines.
As another thought is there a diagram of the motor and its bits anywhere on the web.

Cheers David

Your mechanism is causing the fault and not the motor.
The cogged gear in the picture below is slipping on its shaft, the result is that the blade is not being retracted when it reaches the side of the wind screen, a temporary solution is to jam the mechanism with a lollypop stick or other so you can drive in the rain.

Without the weight of the wiper arm and blade, the mechanism may well appeared to work correctly without this weight

There was a guy on here who got his father to repair his mechanism… same fault as yours… he has a lathe and milling machine too, will see if I can find the thread
Also… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/47227-w202-wiper-almost-fixed.html

Also… Windscreen wiper. - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Dec

9649d1202594956-w202-wiper-almost-fixed-wiper-.jpg

Well Dec you seem to be the expert here. I like your lollipop stick idea and that will save the rest of the car from this errant wiper blade.

I think I am going to go to a scrap yard and see if I can get an old mechanism out of a wrecked car and take it apart to examine the slipping gear. It may need a key way or perhaps another way of fixing. If I take it to my model engineering club I am sure some one will find a long term fix. If so I will tell you about it.
I am amazed that MB who build cars like tanks can have it fail on a stupid nylon gear!!!

In the mean time I must take my grandchildren for a lollipop!!!!

Thanks for your advice and if you can find that thread on the gear it would be useful!!!
Cheers David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom