HOWTO: w202 facelift door courtesy lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Originally posted by GDC200
Thanks for the excellent tutorial Shude. I've ordered all the bits and hope to collect them tommorrow!!

puddle lights here we come (hopefully)

PS. Do Elegance models have a red light on the end of the door or it a reflector or have I imagined it?

either mine is the only one without a red light or a reflector, or you've imagined it !!

S.

I went to pick up the bits and they are on back order from Germany! Boo , I've got to wait a few days!
All good mods begin with a story from the stealership about the parts being on back-order, you know you're onto something special when there are none in the country ;) :D

Originally posted by Shude
All good mods begin with a story from the stealership about the parts being on back-order, you know you're onto something special when there are none in the country ;) :D

My alloy brake pedals were like that :D I'd got the last gas alloy pedal at MK but the two brake pedals were on a back order... I had to wait 2 weeks!! Hope your wait isn't as long GDC200 ;)

S.

nice 1.

if they're wired up right, you should also be able to turn them on and off with the overhead console "door" switch - together with the rest of the courtesy lights when you open a door. Just thought I'd share that useless piece of information !!

enjoy !

S.

THEY'VE ARRIVED AND I FITTED THEM :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

A huge thank you to Shude without whose comprehensive instructions I wouldnt have dared!!!

They are so cool I will be going out after dark in order to find puddles to park next to so I can see my puddle lights working!

Thanks Shude!!:D
No problem! They look great! :D

I'm gonna go test Sym's button theory right now.

All this extra weight you boys kep adding to your cars, I don't know :D

Originally posted by sym
if they're wired up right, you should also be able to turn them on and off with the overhead console "door" switch - together with the rest of the courtesy lights when you open a door. Just thought I'd share that useless piece of information !!
Yep, the button turns them on and off, although then I got it all confused and the domelight never came back on again and the rear one never turned off! Took me five minutes of locking, unlocking, opening and closing doors and pressing buttons on the dome light to get it all sync'd again! :rolleyes:

next sunvisors!!!!!
Sunvisors are easy.

Anyone want a dimming RVM howto? It's dead easy but I have all the parts here etc.

lol.... yeah - far too many buttons! rear one is switched seperately as well as being controlled by the "door" master switch :rolleyes: Nice attention to detail though, i thought !.

S.

Sunvisors are easy.

Anyone want a dimming RVM howto? It's dead easy but I have all the parts here etc.

tell me more about this ... in the acccesories catalogue, it says the rvm part is not available for the facelift estate . . is this true ???

S.

Sunvisors are easy.

You just plug it in :p

Originally posted by sym
tell me more about this ... in the acccesories catalogue, it says the rvm part is not available for the facelift estate . . is this true ???
Of course not. MB are lazy, practically everything fits everything else!

Please gently pull your RVM down from the ceiling (BY THE BASE, NOT THE MIRROR!) and check out the part number.

It is probably A 208 810 01 17 (ie from a CLK :) )

Good luck putting it back, it's a real pain :)

I spoke to a stealership today that has a w208 RVM in stock which retails at £192 +VAT, now I get the feeling that that will probably have dimming and at least one other feature, going to call them about it tomorrow, see what it actually is. Homelink anyone? :D

Of course not. MB are lazy, practically everything fits everything else!

Please gently pull your RVM down from the ceiling (BY THE BASE, NOT THE MIRROR!) and check out the part number.

Good luck putting it back, it's a real pain :)

never mind putting it back - I can't shift the thing !! does it slide forward - towards the windscreen glass, or just pull straight downwards ?

S.

Yes... the first 10 times you pull the mirror off you have to hang from it like a monkey from a tree (if you're built like a rake like me) to get the stupid thing off the ceiling! Putting it back is a menace, I found jamming a screwdriver into one of the sprung-pins and pushing the base up with all I've got works. Try putting the aircon on at full blast while doing it to avoid overheating or sweaty hands. I kid ye not!

Originally posted by Alps
mine came with these and vanity lights as standard too! and mines a SPORT???
I just realised, Alps your car has the chrome on the sides etc and wood interior? All c36 models are based on well optioned Elegance spec chassis. That's why you have the lighty-upy things already :)

Ashkan's c280 said:
i have a 1997 so if I wanted to do this, would i be prefacelift?
Depends WHEN in 1997, facelift happened sometime that year ;) . Do you have an electric aerial on the rear wing? That's pretty much the easiest way to spot a pre-facelift car.

Shude said:
Depends WHEN in 1997, facelift happened sometime that year ;) . Do you have an electric aerial on the rear wing? That's pretty much the easiest way to spot a pre-facelift car.

whats is that, i might have it and not know what its called

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom