Kleemann SLK 55K S8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I guess the gearing was never designed for these sorts of speeds. Perhaps a different final drive would help? :thumb:
Interesting thought, wonder what the final drive is on the SLK55 diff, anyone know?

A quick search provided this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240130_140725_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240130_140725_Google.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 7
A quick search provided this
Very different to all others with 215 axle

W205 = 2.82
M156 = 2.82
M157 = 2.65
E55 = 2.65
SLK55 R172 = 2.82
SLK55 R171 = 3.06??
2010-2011 E63 uses a 2.82 ratio diff and the later 2012-2016 models use a 2.65 ratio

I am green with envy. You have a very rare car . I have a 2015 SLK 55 AMG and I love it. Somehow I do not know why the general motoring fraternity seem to pass this model by!

Last edited:
I am green with envy. You have a very rare car . I have a 2015 SLK 55 AMG and I love it. Somehow I do not know why the general motoring fraternity seem to pass this model by!
Ignore the 156 fanboi; he doesn't believe in progress.

Relax. Your car will do a genuine 174 mph when it hits the limiter; how much faster do you need to go? It's a much more civilized car than any R171, with better handling and ride as well. I liked my R171 a lot, but my R172 (with the Performance Pack - LSD, improved suspension and brakes) I like even more.

Last edited:
Ignore the 156 fanboi; he doesn't believe in progress.

Relax. Your car will do a genuine 174 mph when it hits the limiter; how much faster do you need to go? It's a much more civilized car than any R171, with better handling and ride as well. I liked my R171 a lot, but my R172 (with the Performance Pack - LSD, improved suspension and brakes) I like even more.
You are correct of course. It's a lovely car, I am very satisfied with it, more than enough for British Roads!
Underrated, under estimate, which is good, meaner more fun forms!
Interested to know your explanation of 174mph, do you mean when the electronic limiter is removed from the 155mph restriction?
Mine does not have the performance pack.

Yes, the PP version has the limiter raised to 174 mph; should have said. Mine's slightly special, in that it's been 'optimised' (not remapped, honest ...) in both engine and gearbox by DMS in Southampton. The previous owner had it done, and he admitted subsequently that it ran 435 bhp on the dyno... It's quite quick ;) , and gets off from the line very hard if you want to; throttle lag? What's that?

Yes, the PP version has the limiter raised to 174 mph; should have said. Mine's slightly special, in that it's been 'optimised' (not remapped, honest ...) in both engine and gearbox by DMS in Southampton. The previous owner had it done, and he admitted subsequently that it ran 435 bhp on the dyno... It's quite quick ;) , and gets off from the line very hard if you want to; throttle lag? What's that?
I can't PM you, I think?. I am going to contact DMS anyway, as your "optimised" (or remapped??) sounds good in principle.
In meantime can you tell me your thoughts, your experience, is it detectable by insurance, or at a main dealer for service etc? Were you are of pre DMS work , i.e. had you driven the car as a bog standard SLK55 AMG R172?
Regards
Steve

No idea whether it's detectable, but it's declared anyway; Admiral don't have a problem with such a small power increase, and the gearbox 'improvement' is neither here nor there - no change to the power output.

My cars go to an indie (Wayne Gates) for servicing.

I've never driven a bog-standard car, so I can't comment; all I can say is that it feels much better to drive than my previous SLK 55 (R171), which had been remapped to a claimed 395 bhp.

Incidentally, I did look at Kleemann to see what they could offer for the M152; only a remap to add an extra 20 bhp, which I already have.

If you do take yours to DMS, let us know how it feels afterwards.

No idea whether it's detectable, but it's declared anyway; Admiral don't have a problem with such a small power increase, and the gearbox 'improvement' is neither here nor there - no change to the power output.

My cars go to an indie (Wayne Gates) for servicing.

I've never driven a bog-standard car, so I can't comment; all I can say is that it feels much better to drive than my previous SLK 55 (R171), which had been remapped to a claimed 395 bhp.

Incidentally, I did look at Kleemann to see what they could offer for the M152; only a remap to add an extra 20 bhp, which I already have.

If you do take yours to DMS, let us know how it feels afterwards.
Will do!

Sounds about right. So was mine. It was antisocially loud when given the full beans...

Junior Dazzler rode shotgun today to go and collect an Indian takeaway, and we took the SLK (hood down, naturally).

On our return we had to pull out of the car park on to a very fast dual carriageway from a standing start at 90-degrees.

Gentle on the accelerator up to 50-60 mph, by which time I was in third gear and it was dry, so I gave it a very gentle push further.

The accelerator was depressed by less 50% and the back started wriggling (a lot) at 50 mph in third gear in the dry.

The car is completely unhinged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom