• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Looking to buy a C55/CLK55/E55k/E63/CLS55/CLS63/SL55 - Advice/Comments? - Which One?!

Thanks and good suggestion but maybe for someone who gets the Porsche thing more. I think the Boxster was an itch I wanted to scratch and is a very fine car. However I think it is a very fine car probably more on the track than on the road. I did a track day a few years ago and the 5 cars were Lotus Elise, Impreza, Aston DB9, Ferrari 360 and 911 Carrera 2. The Impreza was rubbish, the DB9 soft/muted and the 360 was the first Ferrari I had driven and was a huge disappointment. The Elise was cracking fun being so precise and the 911 was better so my car of the day. On the road on a different day probably a totally different story.

I have never got the Porsche think and went in my friends 997 Carrera GTS recently which was a great car but for the track. I don't see the point of them for the road. It wasn't that comfortable, the soundtrack wasn't great most of the time and cabin a bit tight.

I am either old or just want a bit of comfort in my life. I have not got the patience or ability to settle for anything less than perfect these days. Anything that is not right is a compromise. I had an E60 M5 for 2 months last year and loved it but would I buy one with my own money and live with it for years...NO...I'll take the E55k I think. Just want to get in it and drive it with not too much fuss and a bit of comfort when I need it with a bit of mild fun also when needed. I don't see Porsche's doing that very well all round. They seem a bit too much like a one trick pony to me.

The Boxster is a great car I'm not denying that but I don't think it's in the same league as a 911 Turbo, I understand what you mean about comfort and ease of everyday driving though and for that plus a lot of speed thrown in when you feel like it I don't think there are many better places to be than an AMG Mercedes.

Oli said:
To be fair, the engine and transmission on the 55 Kompressor engine are the bits I worry about the least, it's the SBC Brakes and ABC suspension that worries me.

Sparks & charger clutch spring to mind

Sparks & charger clutch spring to mind

There are still quite a few sub 60K E55K's out there that are unlikely to need spark plug/leads/coils for another 30-40k and a supercharger clutch can be purchased for less than £500 and takes a maximum of 45 mins to fit and that's on my driveway not on ramps.
Most of these are also unlikely to need SBC pumps and disks and pads are pretty reasonable.
Airmatic is probably the part that is more likely to rear its head and it seems to give no warning. If you exclude all the modifications then the most expensive area I have had are tyres.

like any car, if you are unlucky pick up a bad one then you will pour money into it, if you pick up a good one you could go without spending on it for years!

just make sure you check or get it checked properly to avoid as many of the potential problems as possible, there is never any guarantee that they wont fail, but at least you have done your due diligence .

there are many threads on what to look for, so a little search will give you all the info you need.

like any car, if you are unlucky pick up a bad one then you will pour money into it, if you pick up a good one you could go without spending on it for years!

just make sure you check or get it checked properly to avoid as many of the potential problems as possible, there is never any guarantee that they wont fail, but at least you have done your due diligence .

there are many threads on what to look for, so a little search will give you all the info you need.

Thanks for all your thoughts and help guys. I guess I have an issue with ride quality/suspension on many cars I have had the displeasure of riding in over the years that is has become a real issue and bugbear for me now. One of the first things I look for is if it is too uncomfortable which I know maybe be strange for these kinds of cars. I just feel that if you are hooning around in a hard as nails sports car you know what to expect and take the rough with the smooth. However some other dual purpose(allegedly) cars these days seem to be overly harsh for no real reason. I remember reading an article in Evo from Chris Harris a while back saying the same thing when he test driving the new Lotus Evora saying how good the ride was for a sports car. Also how much money and development many manufacturers were spending (or not!) on dampers etc. with ride quality falling way down the list of priorities.

I love to appreciate not good people but great people...people that pushed boundaries and did things many thought not possible. We can put men on the moon for goodness sake. If Lotus and MacLaren have people and the desire to build cars that ride well why can't many of the others.

I have been looking at the a replacement for the wife's Touran Sport (which has a poor ride!) and looked at all sorts that I wouldn't mind driving when we go out as a family. The new B Class seemed nice but what a surprise....shocking ride quality. It is sad to say but it looks like the obvious only almost only choice that covers all bases (nearly..it is a Ford!) is the Grand C-Max.

Sorry for the rant but maybe you can see why the E55k will likely fit better for me as like to get the other end of my journey in a relaxed one piece with my karma still intact. Not needing a trip to the dentist.

I might have even have the answer...how much is a Lotus Evora! ;)

Well my car (with both keys, no rust, no story, and full history) ready to go on PHeads and on here too....just need to give her a full valet tomorrow and then it's on with the sale.

Well my car (with both keys, no rust, no story, and full history) ready to go on PHeads and on here too....just need to give her a full valet tomorrow and then it's on with the sale.

I know and very tempted to push the button on her. If it had a pano roof I would have said yes straight away but struggling to get over that bit. Make me an offer I can't refuse! ;)

The Boxster might be going tomorrow if my customer likes it and we agree a deal so I will be an unencumbered buyer. I got the impression you would have take then Boxster in to help the E55 deal go through rather than really really wanting it....would that be correct?

I know and very tempted to push the button on her. If it had a pano roof I would have said yes straight away but struggling to get over that bit. Make me an offer I can't refuse! ;)

The Boxster might be going tomorrow if my customer likes it and we agree a deal so I will be an unencumbered buyer. I got the impression you would have take then Boxster in to help the E55 deal go through rather than really really wanting it....would that be correct?

Yes that's probably fair buddy - the Boxster sounds like a tidy car but too many miles for my run it/race it plan.

There are a couple of things I need to sort on my E55 - I have taken the tyres off to clean the wheels and I haven't connected the TP Monitoring back properly, and I have just noticed (valeting it this morning) the massage function on the drivers side isn't working any more! One thing to note is that the E55 does suffer from the odd electrical gremlins......

I'm listing it for £10,750 today, but always open to genuine offers from serious buyers......

Yes that's probably fair buddy - the Boxster sounds like a tidy car but too many miles for my run it/race it plan.

There are a couple of things I need to sort on my E55 - I have taken the tyres off to clean the wheels and I haven't connected the TP Monitoring back properly, and I have just noticed (valeting it this morning) the massage function on the drivers side isn't working any more! One thing to note is that the E55 does suffer from the odd electrical gremlins......

I'm listing it for £10,750 today, but always open to genuine offers from serious buyers......

OK, thanks. I'll keep you posted. FOund out that the 112k miler Enigma one had a nice visit to Kwik Fit to have the discs/pads done so that one is seriously looking out. Have a price on the table of just over £8k but it needs bodywork and has a few q's unanswered so don't think it is cheap enough to allow enough money to be spent to get it up to scratch.

I also thinkif someone went to Kwik Fit to get brakes done is liikely to mean money hasn't been spent when it needed to have and any spent has been scrimped or spent badly. I wouldn't let Kwik Fit near my E55 if I had one that is for sure.

Thinking on, check for evidence of a Mercedes Tier 1 warranty in the cars history; that's generally a sign that every little job down to a squeak will have been done promptly.

OK, thanks. I'll keep you posted. FOund out that the 112k miler Enigma one had a nice visit to Kwik Fit to have the discs/pads done so that one is seriously looking out. Have a price on the table of just over £8k but it needs bodywork and has a few q's unanswered so don't think it is cheap enough to allow enough money to be spent to get it up to scratch.

I also thinkif someone went to Kwik Fit to get brakes done is liikely to mean money hasn't been spent when it needed to have and any spent has been scrimped or spent badly. I wouldn't let Kwik Fit near my E55 if I had one that is for sure.

Kwik-fit :eek:

I had genuine pads and discs from Wright-tech when I had my brakes done!!! Scary.

Thanks for all your thoughts and help guys. I guess I have an issue with ride quality/suspension on many cars I have had the displeasure of riding in over the years that is has become a real issue and bugbear for me now. One of the first things I look for is if it is too uncomfortable which I know maybe be strange for these kinds of cars. I just feel that if you are hooning around in a hard as nails sports car you know what to expect and take the rough with the smooth. However some other dual purpose(allegedly) cars these days seem to be overly harsh for no real reason. I remember reading an article in Evo from Chris Harris a while back saying the same thing when he test driving the new Lotus Evora saying how good the ride was for a sports car. Also how much money and development many manufacturers were spending (or not!) on dampers etc. with ride quality falling way down the list of priorities.

I love to appreciate not good people but great people...people that pushed boundaries and did things many thought not possible. We can put men on the moon for goodness sake. If Lotus and MacLaren have people and the desire to build cars that ride well why can't many of the others.

I have been looking at the a replacement for the wife's Touran Sport (which has a poor ride!) and looked at all sorts that I wouldn't mind driving when we go out as a family. The new B Class seemed nice but what a surprise....shocking ride quality. It is sad to say but it looks like the obvious only almost only choice that covers all bases (nearly..it is a Ford!) is the Grand C-Max.

Sorry for the rant but maybe you can see why the E55k will likely fit better for me as like to get the other end of my journey in a relaxed one piece with my karma still intact. Not needing a trip to the dentist.

personally i think the suspension is very good on the E55, on the track its a little wollowy, but on roads its Very comfortable soaking up most of the bumps.

sports mode and comfort modes are pretty distinguishable and good in their own right.

Even with a lowering module the comfort is very good.

reliabilty has always been a slight issue, but as with anything, things wear out and need replacing, there are some options on repairing the pumps and the remanufacturing of the struts are making them more affordable too

Kwik-fit :eek:

I had genuine pads and discs from Wright-tech when I had my brakes done!!! Scary.

I bought genuine ones and changed them myself, the 2 tyres I put on last week cost more than pads all round and rear discs:eek:.

Thinking on, check for evidence of a Mercedes Tier 1 warranty in the cars history; that's generally a sign that every little job down to a squeak will have been done promptly.

When I went through the raft of receipts the previous owner had on my E55 there was one for £1500 to cure squeak and rattle from rear, sale was agreed in minutes :thumb:

When I went through the raft of receipts the previous owner had on my E55 there was one for £1500 to cure squeak and rattle from rear, sale was agreed in minutes :thumb:

And how reliable has your car been?

What about this one pal? Low mileage, Panoramic roof, full Mercedes service history...

Used Mercedes E CLASS (211) E55 AMG 2004 for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1485026)

Thanks for that ;) Just dropped a mail over for some more info. Also found this one but really not sure why or what a LPG would do to an E55.

2004 MERCEDES E55 AMG SUPERCHARGED V8 AUTO SILVER/BLACK LPG not RS6 R8 911 DB9 | eBay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom