• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Looking to buy a C55/CLK55/E55k/E63/CLS55/CLS63/SL55 - Advice/Comments? - Which One?!

Just an FYI - I went to look at this car, sound car - although at time it had some rust on arches but this was back in Dec so may have got these sorted - but main issue for me was although it says 1 previous owner it has had more as was taken to Ireland.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/141393-plate-transfers-o.html

In the end the uncertainty of selling it on and also fact it was early version meant I left it and then ended up buying my 54 plate one. Of the 5 I went to see 4 were pre-04 and I bought the first 54 plate. Having done all the research it seemed the better buy even though ultimately would cost more initially.

Had it 7 months and it is very much worth it. All the advise so far is spot on - given your budget you should get a post-04 e55k with sub 90k miles and FMBSH.

Thanks for the info...very useful. The more info the better. So Enigma as I thought have had this for sale for some time. He seems quite keen to offload which is to be expected I guess. There was a mention that the car only started from keyless go and not from key and also the bodywork needed some softprep and small attention. Therefore it doesn't sound as though the rust has been dealt with.

Did you find that this Enigma car was an early non-revised model then? The pics seems to show it having the mesh centre grill cover rather then the old non-revised model's slatted cover.

I will get my brother to do a full trade vehicle check for me to see what info it brings up. Might have a buyer for the Boxster as well so all gathering pace nicely ;)

Looking closely as SPX pointed out it does look like the later version with the mesh grille, something not adding up, anyone know what build date is for the revised models.

And just the sort of info you need from a forum member, thanks jimmyca69.

Sorry my reply was with regards to this one

Used AMG E55 for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1460740)

The enigma one looks good (apart from alloys) - don't worry about the mileage, check over the SH though and check for last service, service receipts etc the usual particularly last time spark plugs, belts etc changed otherwise next service costly and negates some of the savings.

Mine is on 98k now (bought at 92k) and *touches wood* was and still is best by far I saw on my search.

Think someone mentioned it before but your budget would stretch to a C63 but I looked at these (more so out of interest than reality with my budget) and the service costs are very different. I recently purchased full discs and pads front and back for the E55 for just over £300 in parts.

Someone has linked to my thread from before, some great tips from the regulars here on what to look out for when viewing.

Thanks for the info...very useful. The more info the better. So Enigma as I thought have had this for sale for some time. He seems quite keen to offload which is to be expected I guess. There was a mention that the car only started from keyless go and not from key and also the bodywork needed some softprep and small attention. Therefore it doesn't sound as though the rust has been dealt with.

Did you find that this Enigma car was an early non-revised model then? The pics seems to show it having the mesh centre grill cover rather then the old non-revised model's slatted cover.

I will get my brother to do a full trade vehicle check for me to see what info it brings up. Might have a buyer for the Boxster as well so all gathering pace nicely ;)

Yes the 2006 one is good but looks dear and the missus raised a fair point about black ones looking like I'm about to exit this life!

There have been devlopments on the Enigma one. A price has been set way south of 9k but all of a sudden there is only one key, it is now 3 owners not 2 and he has no idea when the MOT expires or is due. Think I'm going to give this one a wide berth.

You may as well take your time and find a good one like you are.

There's no point in buying a sh**er.

That 2006/55 looks good although it is a bit rich on a cash side albeit you probably aren't going for black.

Saying that - I paid over book for mine but it has been well worth it.

Agreed, I'm in no rush as don't need this car as such as it is a third car. Have a customer looking at the Boxster on Monday and says he wants it so that may go quickly. He hasn't told his missus yet so we will see what arguments that causes for him over the weekend!

From what I can see like most top end cars they are always often a medium term thing to sell as a limited supply and limited buyers. Therefore a buyers market to a point. In no rush but similarly can't wait to get into one;)

Enjoy the experience as well.

Mine was the first one I looked at as it was a few miles away from me.

Getting to the showroom and seeing it for the first time made it really difficult to maintain my nonchalant poker face.

:D

I've had many years in business to perfect my poker face. It takes quite a lot to make me content these days as never seem to be happy with anything...my fathers fault as he brought me up that way! I'm learning to lighten up a bit and sometimes some very tiny simple things can just make my day. I'm not generally very emotional but can be very emotional if the right thing hits me at the right time. An E55 could be a likely trigger so I'll be typically careful at watchful at all times!

I fancied a Maserati but am not emotional or stupid enough....yet! Someone please don't tell me you thought it was a good idea...I need to close that door before it financially ruins me.

The E55K is quicker than a lot of Maseratis and better on the juice - not to mention more practical.

Wait until you drive one on full tilt - then see what you reckon!

I fancied a Maserati but am not emotional or stupid enough....yet! Someone please don't tell me you thought it was a good idea...I need to close that door before it financially ruins me.

A Quattroporte is on my to-do list at some point in the immediate future, I've been listening to their exhaust bellowings on YouTube for quite some time.

I have also joined a Maserati forum in anticipation of a future purchase, the members on there have a better sense of humour than the Land Rover RRS forum I joined!

A Quattroporte is on my to-do list at some point in the immediate future, I've been listening to their exhaust bellowings on YouTube for quite some time.

I have also joined a Maserati forum in anticipation of a future purchase, the members on there have a better sense of humour than the Land Rover RRS forum I joined!

I can see me seriously considering a Maser at some point but the time is not right now. An E55k will do the trick nicely for now and maybe the Maser atraction will diminsh after having an E55k for a while.

The businesses need some growing in the next few years and maybe that will change all and the sensibilty could be ignored....Ill keep trying and working my proverbials off. Got a new experienced guy starting almost at my level next month so fingers crossed. Tried loads of kids and younger guys over the years and tried my bext to do my bit to educate them or bring them on. However enough is enough as they have all been poor to useless in most cases!

The businesses need some growing in the next few years and maybe that will change all and the sensibilty could be ignored....Ill keep trying and working my proverbials off. Got a new experienced guy starting almost at my level next month so fingers crossed. Tried loads of kids and younger guys over the years and tried my bext to do my bit to educate them or bring them on. However enough is enough as they have all been poor to useless in most cases!
What line of work are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

What line of work are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

For my sins...IT for the last 19 years! Both businesses are very small..the 1st a traditional Value Added Reseller and 2nd all Internet related services plus SIP/IPPBX phone systems and custom file transfer, backup services. Just struggled over the years getting decent people...I'm a fussy beggar and want it done right every time with attention to detail.

Also done all the numbers and personally would be no better off growing it all a bit. Just would have more hassle and grief. They need to grow a fair bit bigger to make the growth worthwhile for me. I trade a bit of kit and buy stuff in for stock when it is cheap and sell to customer base and good margins this way. It is all about profit and not turnover.

Not the best way to earn big money quickly I can assure you but never lose customer and always adding but have to turn down a lot of work as don't have big enough businesses to run it all through. That may change over the next few years though with this new guy.

Yourself?

Not the best way to earn big money quickly I can assure you but never lose customer and always adding but have to turn down a lot of work as don't have big enough businesses to run it all through. That may change over the next few years though with this new guy.

Yourself?

We seem to be afflicted with the same thing; no-one can (seemingly) do the job as good as us, so we have to do it all ourselves!

I'm partner in three businesses; commercial vehicles sales (trade to trade), catering (which I don't have that much involvement in) and we are just getting a renewable energy company off the ground as well. And if all that isn't enough, I like to dabble in a bit of spread betting on Betfair when I'm having a quiet day at work.

We seem to be afflicted with the same thing; no-one can (seemingly) do the job as good as us, so we have to do it all ourselves!

I'm partner in three businesses; commercial vehicles sales (trade to trade), catering (which I don't have that much involvement in) and we are just getting a renewable energy company off the ground as well. And if all that isn't enough, I like to dabble in a bit of spread betting on Betfair when I'm having a quiet day at work.

You have you hands ful there then?!

Yup, agreed. It is a big issue although with Rock Internet (business 2) it is not dependant on people to an extent. Software does most of the work so very scalable and very profitable...potentially. I have tons of ideas all the time and struggle to get the time to get them through to fruition. Longer hours have been the only way and this is not sustainable...I was 40 last year and have a 3 and 5 year old that are my primary focus to make sure they get the best chance of surviving in this world. i will do whatever I can and work 24/7 to make sure they are in the top part of the society that seems to be creating a bigger divide each year.

Sounds like we have a fair bit in common. I find a few people similar that I share a common viewpoint with but certainly a minority. I have various spreadbetting accounts etc. and did a fair bit a few years ago but no time now. Did a fair bit if stock trading for a while and did OK. Gained a bit and lost a bit but overall OK and worth doing. I thought it could be a good thing for me to do part time to earn some pocket money when I retire...I am not 'working' past 50 whatever happens...45 would be nice!

Always interested in new business ventures and more importantly getting together with likeminded people to forge synergies and ways that we can all help each other achieve a nice big garage of motors!

I'm not and old fart yet although the wife and kids might sometimes disagree! Every time I compromise on anything it always winds me up and ends up costing more in the long term. A 500 is for someone who is happy to compromise. I compromised on the TT last year and compromised on the Boxster this year. I will have dropped a bit of cash on both so going to make the right decision this time ;) The TT and Boxster felt much slower than the old SL60 even though in the real world they probably aren;t much different. The SL60 always was a bit of an occasion and brought the smiles. I am sure an E55 will do the same.

My missus will be please...the comment has already been made of not liking the idea of two big mercs on the drive :(

You only live once :thumb:

I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this but you obviously like a Porsche too, have you thought about a 996 Turbo?, it's going to be more fun to drive fast than most of the AMGs.

I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this but you obviously like a Porsche too, have you thought about a 996 Turbo?, it's going to be more fun to drive fast than most of the AMGs.

Thanks and good suggestion but maybe for someone who gets the Porsche thing more. I think the Boxster was an itch I wanted to scratch and is a very fine car. However I think it is a very fine car probably more on the track than on the road. I did a track day a few years ago and the 5 cars were Lotus Elise, Impreza, Aston DB9, Ferrari 360 and 911 Carrera 2. The Impreza was rubbish, the DB9 soft/muted and the 360 was the first Ferrari I had driven and was a huge disappointment. The Elise was cracking fun being so precise and the 911 was better so my car of the day. On the road on a different day probably a totally different story.

I have never got the Porsche think and went in my friends 997 Carrera GTS recently which was a great car but for the track. I don't see the point of them for the road. It wasn't that comfortable, the soundtrack wasn't great most of the time and cabin a bit tight.

I am either old or just want a bit of comfort in my life. I have not got the patience or ability to settle for anything less than perfect these days. Anything that is not right is a compromise. I had an E60 M5 for 2 months last year and loved it but would I buy one with my own money and live with it for years...NO...I'll take the E55k I think. Just want to get in it and drive it with not too much fuss and a bit of comfort when I need it with a bit of mild fun also when needed. I don't see Porsche's doing that very well all round. They seem a bit too much like a one trick pony to me.

rockits said:
.I'll take the E55k I think. Just want to get in it and drive it with not too much fuss and a bit of comfort when I need it with a bit of mild fun also when needed

I really don't think this will happen, a 8+ year old AMG supercharged engine, sbc and brakes will all need something pending on them.

Have a look at CL500's I really liked my 2006 one it was £12k now much less.

Ps what about a nice 760 BMW ;-)

I really don't think this will happen, a 8+ year old AMG supercharged engine, sbc and brakes will all need something pending on them.

Have a look at CL500's I really liked my 2006 one it was £12k now much less.

Ps what about a nice 760 BMW ;-)

To be fair, the engine and transmission on the 55 Kompressor engine are the bits I worry about the least, it's the SBC Brakes and ABC suspension that worries me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom