Meet Silvia the s211 e55 7 seater

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They’re not for me personally, I didn’t want to say anything but as long as you like them that’s all that matters :)

FWIW, I know they’re probably good quality etc but I’ve never been keen on aftermarket wheels even the Vossens etc that quite a few people like - it’s a personal thing I guess :thumb:

Out of interest the original wheels on your E55, could probably easily be repaired and refurbished properly. I’ve had five sets of those wheels - cracks are fairly common and not a big deal to have repaired correctly. Unless it’s a bad job there’s probably more chance that either that wheel or one of the others is slightly buckled/flat spotted - any decent wheel refurbisher will be able to true them to perfection and restore them to as new condition if you decide to change back :cool:

No thats fine Will, I'm keeping the old wheels as said, I understand aftermarket wheels are not everyone's cup of tea, especially on a AMG.:thumb:

I think new would be the only way to go though if someone has a real like for the Originals, I much prefer the five spoke Oe rims to what was on there myself given the choice.

No thats fine Will, I'm keeping the old wheels as said, I understand aftermarket wheels are not everyone's cup of tea, especially on a AMG.:thumb:

as long as you like them that’s all that matters pal, personally split rims are my favourite :p

You should get a set of those too, you can never have too many wheels :)

Maybe keep an eye out on eBay or on here Gav? I always find when you actually need a particular set of wheels there’s none about, same as cars they always turn up for sale when you’ve just bought one or don’t have the space/cash spare etc! :)

I wanted to get the wheels on my ‘63 refurbished properly when I bought it back in the summer, and I couldn’t find any spare sets around at all (and didn’t want to put the new car up on blocks after waiting for a month and a half for it to be ready..!)

I then bought a spare set of 18s locally and then another set of the original forged 19s came up so bought those as well and had two sets refurbished at once (they both came out perfect in the end!)

All worked out well but at first I thought I’d be waiting ages!

I’m sure your current wheel could be sorted out (if it’s that bad maybe just send the one wheel off or some photos of the damaged area to a couple of refurb places and see what they can do?)

Nothing to lose if you’re otherwise thinking you need to replace it :thumb:

No i will leave that to whoever the next owner maybe whenever that occurs, im more than Happy with my current setup :)

Will watch your thoughts on a steering wheel with interest as mine is on the shiny side of acceptable now

Fairy liquid, baby wipes and other remedies applied, but still not that happy with it
I cannot see alcantara working though. I know it does for some but leather is still best in my book (but then, I like silver wheels...o_O )

I know I won't have to wait long as you don't hang about :rolleyes:

Lol made me chuckle Sir :D

It's only something i've just started to think about, Leather would also look nice, totally undecided.

Lol made me chuckle Sir :D

It's only something i've just started to think about, Leather would also look nice, totally undecided.

Speak to Royal Steering wheels Gav

I for one am a fan of aftermarket wheels, so the design of your wheel choice is a yes from me. What doesn't work for me is the colour, silver would look best IMO with coloured calipers, or as you alluded to earlier, a more subtle contrast, perhaps anthracite/slate grey.
On the side issue of the steering wheel, I changed mine from the 55 to a 63 one. Much nicer feel, chunkier to hold and just better overall with the addition of paddles too, keeping it all OEM, courtesy of Jack at Royal.

Like this?

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: Abb
^^^ Yep, exactly like that! IIRC there was a little bit of work involved in the wiring module/plug which controls the paddles, but otherwise a straight forward fit. My indy did it all for me.

I think that looks great :cool:

Although alcantara/suede might be trendy, high quality perforated leather I think is more classy and looks better in the long run.

Although slightly different it’s a similar design in my E63, very happy with it :)

Not sure if you can fit later wheels on the 211 though, there’s a few extra buttons - the paddles are nice too coming from the buttons on the ‘55 :thumb:

IMG_1336 (1).JPG Hi Gav, if your next little project is the steering wheel consider something like I've had done. I had it made to my own personal requirements, fatter girth :D, flat bottomed, new leather and alcantara as shown. I then fitted a set of black paddles from g-paddles, all of which I think generally modernises the inside of my old CL. I can highly recommend Jack at Royal Steering Wheels, as many others have done so, who performed all the mods for me very reasonably and without any hassle.

KR Matt
Ps, hope the 'little Tiger' is continuing his recovery :thumb:

^That looks amazing!

The wheels look great though i can't make my mind up on them, i like the shape i think it's just the colour. You're happy with them and that's all that matters :thumb:

A friend of mine has a suede steering wheel and although it's gorgeous to hold it does collect the dirt a bit. He thought it was worn out as it went shiny i told him it was grease and dirt and proceeded to give it a very gentle steam clean, just wiping it with a microfibre cloth.

He was amazed as it now looks brand new again.

Matt i love that steering wheel!

Update on the Fuel Tank!

Well we all knew Mercedes didn't give a monkies about the leaking tank, BUT..... it appears that the DVSA do! i reported the issue to them and they have got back tome quite sharply tbh asking for Proof of works and images of the faulty tank "which i have plenty of" along with the original Pdf showing Mercedes know about the leaky tanks

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2013/INOT-EA13003-61719.pdf

Whilst im not after Any money or goodwill from Merc's i still think its dangerous and should be reported so i have done exactly that.

I will keep you all posted on events.

If anyone else has had a issue with a CLS or w/s211 re leaky fuel tanks i suggest reporting it to the DVSA

LINK : Vehicle recalls and faults

+1 But your choice! Regarding steering wheel can recommend "Royle steering wheels" i had mine refurbished by them excellent looks OEM Quality £150,00

Well had a reply back from the DVSA saying they have looked at all the Photos i sent them and the Star Bulletin,

They are taking the issue up with Mercedes Benz , and will let me know what happens.

Well had a reply back from the DVSA saying they have looked at all the Photos i sent them and the Star Bulletin,

They are taking the issue up with Mercedes Benz , and will let me know what happens.

That's amazing! We need to all do this along with SBC pumps and hopefully mercedes will react as they have done in the US.

Wheels look nice but a small drop would set it off so they fit in the arch radius perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom