Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My C43 Estate has a build week 03/17 do you think I should raise this point with the dealership prior to build just to make them aware that this problem is clearly an issue for a lot of owners or just wait and see if I have the same problem and then deal with as necessary?

Perhaps Honest John is reading this thread.

Perhaps :thumb:

There are 3 threads on here that I am aware off (including the C43 one) :D
There are posts on piston heads in the GLC43 thread
There is a thread on mbworld.org
There is a thread on the Mercedes hosted AMG Private Lounge community website (only access to AMG owners).
And there are Facebook posts against Mercedes GLC advertising campaign :D

Well that is what I'm aware off, not withstanding the people getting in contact with Honest John as that site seems to have collated quite a few quotes since over a month back from dissatisfied owners. I must admit I never even thought of looking there.

My C43 Estate has a build week 03/17 do you think I should raise this point with the dealership prior to build just to make them aware that this problem is clearly an issue for a lot of owners or just wait and see if I have the same problem and then deal with as necessary?

It is a difficult one; I mean what would you do if they tell you now that they are aware but think it is normal and standard and you still go ahead with it knowing it will exhibit this. I am no lawyer but I would have thought your position to reject it then would be weakened. On the other hand if there is an inherent defect in the car then it shouldn't matter whether you knew or not, the defect must not be there.

To be fair, the news regarding the C class doesn't seem to be as consistent compared to the GLC. Perhaps that is because all the GLC's are 4matic in setup and only the 43 model (is it?) as standard for the C class. I don't know.

Ultimately it shouldn't do this, and I remain confident that with some persuasion they will rectify it, or will have to buy back.

I think the 4matic system on the C43 is the same as the GLC so assume will inherit the same problem. Will mention it to the dealer just to make sure they are aware -which I am sure they already are- so that its on record from day one. But in fairness to the dealership they can only tell customers what MB Head Office are telling them to say.

I think the 4matic system on the C43 is the same as the GLC so assume will inherit the same problem. Will mention it to the dealer just to make sure they are aware -which I am sure they already are- so that its on record from day one. But in fairness to the dealership they can only tell customers what MB Head Office are telling them to say.

Actually I do not think that is wholly correct, from a legal perspective the liability lies with the supplying dealer and if there is any credit involved (even a deposit on a credit card) with the finance company. Sure they would not get authorisation for investigations or repairs, but I would have thought that if dealers started to get many rejected cars they'll have to pay attention.

Thank you for the replies. However I assume - st13phil - is a Mercedes spy. How can anyone consider that clonking and juddering (ie jumping) is OK in a £43,000 car.

Why should I purchase different new tyres to solve the problem - That is ridiculous - Are you saying that the Mercedes company have decide to put inappropriate tyres on their expensive cars.

It is clearly not acceptable - I believe that st13phil does not have one if these cars a GLC.
Totally agree with you on this. I didn't feel this 'characteristic' when I bought the car, but I guess the temperature was a tad warmer in May last year! I totally share your view that Mercedes shouldn't be selling a premium product with these tyres. I took my GLC in just before Christmas and have been told they are reporting the findings to Head Office. It really has damaged my view of the brand I'm afraid.

Wondering in the light of this what tyres my C43 will have when its built later this month. Its clear that Run-Flat tyres have harder/stiffer side walls which may contribute to the problem. Not sure why you need RF's as normal tyres are just as good with a repair kit in the boot. Perhaps MB will start fitting 'normal' tyres in an attempt to resolve this. Will wait and see.

I ever had this happen at all in my C class while i lived in County Durham, even when the weather turned freezing in the winter. When i first took delivery of my GLC this did not happen, Picked mine up o the 14th Sept and about 2 weeks later i parked up in a car park and noticed a strong smell of burning, on inspection this was coming from the front passenger wheel area. This happened on 4 occasions over the course of 2 months. I had it back to Mercedes twice and both times i was told they could not find anything wrong. The burning smell has not happened for a while but since then is has started to be plagued by the juddering, thumping and jumping, it feels like the car is slipping on ice (we don't get a lot of ice on the Isle Of Wight) trying with all my might not to put it in full lock. Rang the local Merc dealer today but got the impression they where not interested, the same sort of response as the burning (it's nothing)

Think this could be because i did not buy the car from them. my first response from them when i booked car in for burning smell was whats your reg followed buy OOOHHHH that's not from here. not sure what to do with the car as its a fair old trek to my dealership back in Newcastle

I ever had this happen at all in my C class while i lived in County Durham, even when the weather turned freezing in the winter. When i first took delivery of my GLC this did not happen, Picked mine up o the 14th Sept and about 2 weeks later i parked up in a car park and noticed a strong smell of burning, on inspection this was coming from the front passenger wheel area. This happened on 4 occasions over the course of 2 months. I had it back to Mercedes twice and both times i was told they could not find anything wrong. The burning smell has not happened for a while but since then is has started to be plagued by the juddering, thumping and jumping, it feels like the car is slipping on ice (we don't get a lot of ice on the Isle Of Wight) trying with all my might not to put it in full lock. Rang the local Merc dealer today but got the impression they where not interested, the same sort of response as the burning (it's nothing)

Think this could be because i did not buy the car from them. my first response from them when i booked car in for burning smell was whats your reg followed buy OOOHHHH that's not from here. not sure what to do with the car as its a fair old trek to my dealership back in Newcastle

Is yours Diesel or Petrol? as in Diesel engine cars the DPF filter needs to be cleared which normally happens during a long run but if not it burns off sometimes after you stop and park the car usually with massive heat coming from underneath which believe it or not is normal. Not sure whether this is/was your problem.

cheers for that :thumb:

Yeah mine is a diesel so that could have very well been my problem, as the car does not get used too often, sometimes i may only do 15 miles a week, apart from the long runs back to Newcastle every now and then. not had the smell happen in December guessing this is because the car has been well used over xmas

Last edited:
i'm not surprised at all, very different way of life here :wallbash:

i remember taking the car in and the bloke behind the service desk asking me if i had been riding the clutch, he looked embarrassed when i said hardly mate its an automatic :doh:

This fault with the shuddering is being reported more and more on the GLC. There's quite a bit on it on the honest John website under the GLC review.
Customers are being told to change to winters tyres? Apparently you can't order a new GLC with runflat tyres now (according to HJ website)
It looks like the runflat side walls are too firm and this is causing the juddering skipping on full lock. If this is the case that the runflats are causing the issues then Mercedes must know there's an issue and you think they would change the tyres for their customers to non runflats.

Wondering in the light of this what tyres my C43 will have when its built later this month. Its clear that Run-Flat tyres have harder/stiffer side walls which may contribute to the problem. Not sure why you need RF's as normal tyres are just as good with a repair kit in the boot. Perhaps MB will start fitting 'normal' tyres in an attempt to resolve this. Will wait and see.

My sentiments exactly but suspect if RF's were standard on the C43 from launch they probably wont change now? Would be interested to hear from other C43 owners about what tyres their car came with.

This fault with the shuddering is being reported more and more on the GLC. There's quite a bit on it on the honest John website under the GLC review.
Customers are being told to change to winters tyres? Apparently you can't order a new GLC with runflat tyres now (according to HJ website)
It looks like the runflat side walls are too firm and this is causing the juddering skipping on full lock. If this is the case that the runflats are causing the issues then Mercedes must know there's an issue and you think they would change the tyres for their customers to non runflats.

Mine was ordered in June for September delivery, i suffer the same issue as many other owners and i don't have runflats

So i thought i would explore my options as i don't really hold out any any hope of a resolution the the issue from Mercedes (well not one that is not going to cost us the consumer)

Looking through my paperwork i could not see anything in relation to rejecting the car, I'm financed through MBFS. So i though i would obtain a settlement figure to see if i was going to be in a position to sell, looks like i colud come out of the deal (tho lost deposit and payments made) given me food for thought.

Then low and behold i get a call this morning from Mercedes in newcastle, they had been made aware that i had requested a settlement figure, she straight out asked if a wanted to part exchange my car, told her just keeping options open and again explained the problems myself and other are having, she did not care just said well you know where we are if you want to change your car,

do they know something we don't???

So i thought i would explore my options as i don't really hold out any any hope of a resolution the the issue from Mercedes (well not one that is not going to cost us the consumer)

Looking through my paperwork i could not see anything in relation to rejecting the car, I'm financed through MBFS. So i though i would obtain a settlement figure to see if i was going to be in a position to sell, looks like i colud come out of the deal (tho lost deposit and payments made) given me food for thought.

Then low and behold i get a call this morning from Mercedes in newcastle, they had been made aware that i had requested a settlement figure, she straight out asked if a wanted to part exchange my car, told her just keeping options open and again explained the problems myself and other are having, she did not care just said well you know where we are if you want to change your car,

do they know something we don't???

They absolutely know what is happening and are towing the line. It is almost unheard of that all give exactly the same response.

I have had Mercs for the last few years and always uses Mercedes financial services, i never trade my cars in always sell privately. I have requested settlement figures many times in the past, and quite a few when selling my C class (Wish i had kept it now) Never once has a dealer rang me to ask if i want to exchange, just find it strange that the do so now given that they know my car is a September 66 reg motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom