Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This could be good news for anyone outside the 2year 19000mile Tyre swop rules as the suspension knuckle replacesment should be covered under the 3 year warranty agreement

are they still changeing summer tyres to all season for free?, havent got my new glc urban edition yet but should have delivery of it in the next 2 week.

I was looking at the spec for the Urban edtion a few weeks ago and I'm sure it said it came with All Season tyres. Might have been a lease offer I was looking at, so I suppose the spec could have been wrong.

ETA: Just looked at the brochure and it seems it comes with summer tyres - doesn't even offer All Seasons as an option, which it does at no cost on some other trims.

Last edited:
that is correct i ticketed the box on my order for all season tyre on the brokers order form only to be told by the dealer this option is not available.

Just spoke to my MB dealer regarding the emissions recall.

Whilst on the phone I mentioned the “steering knuckle fix” and they looked into it for me. They were unable to find any updates or news bulletins regarding this but have noted our conversation.

If anyone receives further information about this, could they please post reference numbers etc on this thread?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all, I took delivery of a GLC Coupe 220d on 10/3/18. I have since experienced the crabbing every time I have driven the car. I cannot understand why Mercedes are still making the cars with tyres that are not fit for the car.

As I have owned the car for under 30 days what are my rights? I have emailed my dealer who have said they will see what they can do. Can I just reject the car 1. For the crabbing issue whilst Mercedes only see it as a comfort issue, is still an issue with the car and 2. Mercedes are aware the tyres are not fit for use on the car but are still sending them out with them on.

Any help is appreciated

Hi Tomtowner,

We purchased a glc 220d sport, and have experienced the same crabbing and juddering noise when the steering is turned especially in cold weather. When it was 1st serviced in 2017, I was informed that it was quite normal, but having read many other views from others on this forum I wrote to Mercedes head office, and this was part of the reply from them:

"I can confirm that the characteristic you are experiencing comes from flexibility within the tyre sidewall, the grip between the front tyres and the type of road surface being driven over. It is something which can be felt only at very low speeds, and when a certain percentage of wheel lock is engaged for turning. This is demonstratively more evident in colder temperatures due to the changes in the tyre rubber elasticity. As such, since this is a characteristic of the car and not a fault, it is not covered by your car's Manufacturer's Warranty. Please be assured that this is a comfort issue and does not affect the safety or overall performance of your car."

We have another glc 220d AMG, which also has the same problem. Could anyone help please. Thank you.

Hi,

I am just starting my own debate with MB on my 21' wheels on a GLC C63s. For some reasons this morning MB have said it will replace tyres and fit a knuckle on the steering system on all other models other than an AMG. Does anyone know any reason why MB are treating the AMG 63's differently to other GLC models? I understand on the knuckle solution, but their stance on tyres seems odd to me. As I understand it the difference is only really engine based and the car has a "winter mode" to limit speeds to meet the speed rating of any winter tyres.

Thanks

I am also interested in this "steering knuckle" fix having taken an interest in this topic some time ago. My guess is that changing the angle of the steering knuckle may alter the castor angle which may help with the crabbing issue at full lock. It may not be a complete cure but like the all weather tyres help alleviate the worst of the symptoms. I believe that the 43 and 63 AMG 4WD models may already have these revised knuckles fitted as standard and the fitting of all weather tyres may be deemed inappropriate on these wide tyred performance models???
Anyone got precise details on what the steering knuckle modification does ?

Excellent descriptive post complete with clear pictures which leave readers in no doubt as to what a front suspension steering knuckle is. Nice one!

Great News.......

Well it looks like the flood gates have been opened in Oz for the knuckle replacement program to RHD vehicles.

Our 250d, with air suspension finally was approved last week and car was converted.
Limited driving to date, but it seems what we thought it should be like on wet and cold roads doing is actually finally happening.
Our tyres are Goodyear All Season, run flats.
Can posters who have the conversion done please let us know if their tyres are All Season type, or original Summer runflats, by brand.

If a Coupe, were tyres changed or are they original non run flats ? Brand ?

Thanks to everyone for sharing info.

has this issue been resolved in facelift 2020 GLCs?

This is my first post on the forum

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far on the issue, it has led to my car having the steering knuckles replaced under warranty (yesterday), so no more pesky tyre skipping.

Having said the above, after the fix I have noticed a really unnerving problem where the whole car is slipping significantly to the left or right when driving over rough roads or large expansion joints (on bridges for example). I really feel that this is worse than the crabbing issue, because it happens at higher speeds as well. I know that today the roads were a little damp when I felt it, but I've never driven any other car that does this in the same conditions.

Of course I'll be picking up the phone to the Mercedes Dealer who did the work, but I wanted to know if any of the good people on this forum may have an idea on why this might be happening before I do so?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom