my01 goes blank when checking disk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s1gar

Car
CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
i have a mb update cd i follow the instructions on the disk

1. insert cd

2. turn off unit, ignition and remove keys.

3. press * # and on at the same time

4. press start

5. the screen goes onto checking disk and goes blank after 10 sec's

HELP!!!!!!!!!

THE UNIT IS A A208 IN A W208 CLK230K

MY01 HAS NOT BEEN APPLIED ALREADY.

Did the update in my car recently - the only difference in procedure I can think of is that i inserted the CD after turning on (while holding down *#)

Don't know if this will make a difference - can't help any further I am afraid - i just followed directions on this site (Thanks Miro!:))

That said - its not worked properly as i still dont have the intelligent address entry :confused:

Found previous post:

HOW TO: COMAND update procedure and other controls

THIS IS FROM MB - FOR THE W220 when activating DVD player and TV tuner
==============================================
Applies to COMAND 2.5 (I tried it on 2.0 and it works)

- update comand with CD
- apply same update TWICE or more (good to reset custom logo to OEM)
- recover from crash or fail
- prevent ICAN loops during install (checking CD error)

1 Switch off ignition and withdraw ignition key.

2 Switch on operating unit with ON touch switch and wait about
10 s until operating unit is correctly switched off.

3 Press keys * and # at the same time and hold and switch on
unit with ON switch. Wait until download screenis displayed,
then release keys.

4 Insert download CD. (In the case of CD version with automatic
CD eject, CD is ejected and must be inserted
once again).

5 Press the following keys to override an older or same version:
First of all RET alone, then 2 and 3 (and 9) at the same time.

6 For download with ICAN activity (if ICAN active, download
stops endlessly in the case of checking CD) press keys 1 and 3
at the same time (before start of download!)

7 Start download by selecting with start operating unit rotary
knob and press on rotary knob.

8 The download now runs automatically in two stages and takes
about 45 minutes in total.

9 Confirm final message with OK, remove download CD and
insert NAVI map CD, switch unit off and on with ON switch.

Procedure in the case of download problems
=================================
If the download does not continue running or takes significantly more
than 45 minutes:

Remove fuse F61 (for radio/sound/COMAND operating unit and
navigation) and insert again. This fuse is located in the right below the rear seat bench in the footwell (fuse and relay box below right rear seat). The fuse box is enclosed with a black rectangular plastic cover and can easily be opened without a tool. A drawing of the fuse assignment is provided at the vehicle tool kit in the trunk above the spare wheel. F61 is the 5th, counting from the middle of the vehicle, and the 14th, counting from the door (long row of fuses with a total of 18 fuse positions, not all of which are fitted).

After this, once again start the download process.

s1gar said:
i have a mb update cd i follow the instructions on the disk

1. insert cd

2. turn off unit, ignition and remove keys.

3. press * # and on at the same time

4. press start

5. the screen goes onto checking disk and goes blank after 10 sec's

HELP!!!!!!!!!

THE UNIT IS A A208 IN A W208 CLK230K

MY01 HAS NOT BEEN APPLIED ALREADY.

You will need to have power to the unit for at least 45 minutes to complete the update.

I do mine on the desktop with power to the unit.

switch the unit off, leave power connected/igntion on. Insert the update disk. wait 10 seconds. Press the * and the # key. Keeping them both depressed turn the unit on. the download screen should be displayed. You should see a message about inserting the Cd, if it has come out, then re-insert it. the screen should then show you which version you have at present and which version your update CD will take you to. You should then select Start Head unit with the right hand rotary knob and press the same same knob to select the option. The comand then downloads the update in two stages. when its finished, take the update Cd out and put a NAV disk in.

Thats it.

Try the operation again and if that fails, I suggest you try SG CL500's posting.

nope still shuts off :confused: see i dont really know what to do. in the merc cd it says to take the keys out of the ingition to do it, i dont understand it at all (wish i never started this now). i am thinking my unit is a duffer. what does the press 2, 3 & 9 thing do and the press 1 and 3 thing as well because this is confusing.

regards

(a close to suicide)
simon

Alfie said:
You will need to have power to the unit for at least 45 minutes to complete the update.
True - but my unit just stayed active while updating the software - i was worried that the auto power off function would stop the update, so kept checking the machine, but it never kicked in.

Simon - can't help on what next i'm afraid - as I said in my 1st post I am just repeating what others (far more knowledgeable than I) have said previously. I know some Comand units won't allow software updates but thought this only affected early E Class.

Good luck.

s1gar said:
nope still shuts off :confused: see i dont really know what to do. in the merc cd it says to take the keys out of the ingition to do it, i dont understand it at all (wish i never started this now). i am thinking my unit is a duffer. what does the press 2, 3 & 9 thing do and the press 1 and 3 thing as well because this is confusing.

regards

(a close to suicide)
simon

Simon,

Does your unit function quite happily as it is?

Have you used the reset function in diagnostic mode?

To do this, turn the unit on. Press the FM button. Hold down the mute button and then press 1 & 3 hold them down until the diagnostic screen appears. Scroll down to versions and select that. Scroll down to FIS and select that. Make a note of the serial number, S/W version and model type (this should say A208 820 37 89). Keep these for reference and send them to me. I'll investigate a bit for you.

Next press RET twice to go back to the diagnostic menu scroll down to diagnosis, scroll down to system rest and select that option. the unit will reset itself and you will need to set the language back to English afterwards.
Once youve set the language, try the update again.

Just out of interest, do you have a genuine MB update Cd or is it a 'copy'?

when i did mine I am pretty sure i left it on (the car and the unit)

Steve

ok will do fist thing in the morning when i pick my car up. the cd is the original one from the dealers....i have done a reset as well both from the mute + 1&3 and from the settings restorefactory settings. the unit does run ok the only thing i have noticed is when i try the my01 update it wont play audio cd's it either rejects the cd or say cd error to correct this i just load the navi cd up again and it works. another thing is when the units switches off it does not come straight back on but if i remove the key let the unit completly shut down turn the ignition on, eject the cd then the unit can start again.

These are the instructions I had for the command 2, this must be done with no audio/nav cd in the main unit

1) Switch off ignition and remove key.
2) turn on the command wait 10 secs then power off using the ON button
3) press * and # together then hold the ON switch,when download screen appears releqasethe * and #
4) insert update cd, if the unit has auto eject it may eject the cd and it needs to be inserted again
5) Press following keys to start over write, press RET alone and then 2,3 and 9 together
6) If ICAN is active try pressing 1 and 3 together, before starting download
7) select download with rotary knob and then press to select
8) the download takes about 45 minutes
9) when download complete remove the CD and insert navi CD

right just did the mute plus 1 & 3.....
s/w = 40.99
mb part = 2088203789
my car is a dec 2001 clk230k avantgarde coupe facelift

Last edited:
hey just had a thought....did mb do a comand unit with can bus but not dx compatible????????

s1gar said:
hey just had a thought....did mb do a comand unit with can bus but not dx compatible????????

If your disk is a Dx disk and it works with your comand, then your comand is DX compatible.

I recently updated an older comand than your with no problems, so I'm a bit suspicious of your unit. What is the manufacture date in the versions FIS display?

autoteile-koberger

Looking at the guy you bought the unit from I see that you have a warranty for 12 months.

If you cannot get the MY01 update to load, then I suggest you tell him the unit is faulty and does not work properly. Ask him to send you a replacement which is one of the following part numbers (in order of preference)

A208 820 44 89
A208 820 40 89
A210 820 56 89
A210 820 54 89

All these will work in your car and can be updated with the MY01 S/W.

Alternatively you could buy one of the above and sell yours on ;)

Edit; looking at the date on yours it should update!

Last edited:
that is what i have done...it must be faulty if it does not update. he was good with delivery so i should be sorted by friday i hope. begining to wish i bought the alpine and the kit to work with multifunction but disables cruise control. :(

Last edited:
Some of the very early units (particularly the E class ones) fail to update - they just go blank after checking the disk. Disk can still be ejected in that mode though.

R

Some of the very early units (particularly the E class ones) fail to update - they just go blank after checking the disk. Disk can still be ejected in that mode though.

R

I have bought the software service cd my2001. Just to be sure, can i update my europe Comand 2.0 - E/HEAD UNIT A210 820 48 89 with this software, or is my comand to old to accept the software???

SW of Processors in Headunit
FIS Oct 8 1999 19:53
SH ---
SH Flash ---
Copro valid
DSP 550000 250298
Navi BIOS 967.0713:32:17
SW version REL_V08.17
R E L A S E

Regards
Rune

Users who are viewing this thread