new fella need really honest advice on e55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

While I agree thw E55 and S2000 are light years away for the iom the S2000 will be awesome. On the mountain pass it will rev its little heart out and handle very well (post 2004 models as they were updated / uprated)

I sooo nearly bought a S2000 back in 2001 when looking at a Z3 and SLK, I had always wanted a Z3 so got that but the test drive myself and brother had in the S2000 was very good.

It didn't 'feel' that quick but what impressed us most were the brakes and the way it reacted to turns, like a gocart. I would say its a strange car to drive, one minuite if driven below 6500 revs its like a honda civic your gran might drive. Leave it in gear and go past 7500 and it souds like a demented touring car.

We did find with the lack of torque you did need to be in gear lower than you would think to keep it on the boil.

It is a nice car, it Will not rust for decades, and doubt you will have ANY trouble with it, thats one thing the jap cars are plug and play :)

There was a faclifted one on pistonheads for 10K 2004, I was tempted as a wekend toy, luckily or unluckily it sold....

Either way it should be cheap motoring

How about a C43 AMG?

Was about to suggest the same, Alot better in terms of rust thats for sure, however that said you still should have a good look around, should you consider the thought

have you considered an M5? an e55 is great but in w211 and the w210 has serious rust issues. you can get an M5 for that

If an S2000 is on your list, try an SLK. Great for the sort of roads on the IOM ( I can see it from my bedroom window..on a clear day!), we have similar roads in W Cumbria, and an SLK (at least the 171) copes brilliantly with the twisty narrow bits and lost tourists.

Last edited:
Is the S2000 within your 9k budget? I would have thought that they would be more expensive than that. ( I have not checked)

but in w211 and the w210 has serious rust issues. you can get an M5 for that
Shoe repairers.........:devil: :mad:

How many examples have you got of 211's with SERIOUS rust issues . I have monitored a couple of posts but I believe they were more to do with a poorly fitted black trim item. Could you please point out where we should be looking for corrosion on the 211 other than this item?

Grav888
:devil: :) :) I hope your satisfied........ You've frightened this bloke to death and he's never going to buy your very nice example now! :devil: :D

Does the 210 have an issue with rust? :D :D When I first saw your pictures I thought the car needed a new shell etc and I'm still convinced that would have been the cheapest option. Just goes to show how badly a car will rust if it is left with just primer for a top coat! :)

Regards
John

without being in any way dismissive of the slk it just doent flick my switch.

i have considered and driven a c43 when i was getting my m3 and i found it to be a bit tame and somewhat reserved, im used to ca car that would hit 8000rpm with little effort and really wanted to go, the c43 felt rather stayed.

i have found myself considering it again, but having though about it over a curry and some beer last night have decided that i dont think i would be happy with it. as it would represent a compromise neither super comfortable with big bhp nor super capable on the twisty bits.

my budget for a car right now is approx 15k, but i prefer to have a reserve for repairs and other work;)

the s2000's start at about 7.5k - 20k depending on years miles etc.

m5's ahh, well maintainance costs on a really decent m5 (e39) run at approx 5-6k per year excluding all other costs, additionally the vanos units are a constant worry, i replaced my Rolls Royce vanos on my m3 twice due to helical gear failure, the newer units have overcome this but they are out of my budget.

i had the e39 m5 a vanos repair cost me £3500 and only had the car a few weeks! still getting over it,

That's what the BMW Warranty is for! Or was until they off-loaded it and hiked it up to £2k.

Munich Legends may have been able to help out.

I still think an E39 M5 is a better prospect than a W210 E55.

A decent C32 AMG is in budget (just) as an alternative.

Shoe repairers.........:devil: :mad:

How many examples have you got of 211's with SERIOUS rust issues . I have monitored a couple of posts but I believe they were more to do with a poorly fitted black trim item. Could you please point out where we should be looking for corrosion on the 211 other than this item?

Regards
John

you have misread it john.

an e55 is great but in W211. and the W210 has serious rust issues.

Not the w211 and the w210 has serious rust issues. the w210 has rust issues

OOPS Sorry confusing it with valeo. they were all manaul anyway,.. i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom